Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Carol heard some years ago on Radio 4

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Sat Dec 06, 2008 6:15 pm    Post subject: Carol heard some years ago on Radio 4 Reply with quote

I am trying to identify a carol I heard some years ago while listening to Radio 4 while in bed with 'flu. It may have been called the Lichfield Carol or the Lincoln Carol, but I could have imagined this.

As I recall, the first verse is about Mary wondering over the infant Jesus, while the second is about the preparations for the crucifixion - the iron in the earth that will be made into nails, the briar roots growing in the earth that men will twist into a crown of thorns, and the axes ringing in the woods to cut a cross to hold a king.

Any help you could give me to locate this carol would be greatly appreciated!

With best wishes, Andrew Hill
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed Dec 10, 2008 11:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wish I could help you Andrew but I've searched all my carol books and recordings and can't find anything with the lyrics you've mentioned.
Sad
Lance
DavidF

PostPosted: Fri Apr 24, 2009 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what you're saying, it sounds like the Ukrainian carol translated as "Long the night"

Lyrics are roughly

Long the night but kind the dawn in Bethlehem when her son was born.
She touched his side and stroked his head as she gently laid him to bed.
She held his hands, she kissed his feet, she sang to see a sight so sweet in excelsis gloria.

In the hills the iron lay that men would beat into nails one day,
Where the thorn tree roots go down that men would twist to a crown.
In the wood where an axe would ring to cut a cross that would bear a king,
Maryís voice rose from afar in excelsis gloria.

The only arrangement I know is by Roy Massey which I believe appears in "Noel! - Carols and Anthems for Advent, Christmas and Epiphany" edited by David Hill (I don't own a copy).

Hereford Cathedral (of course) have recorded this on their "Christmas Carols" CD (Griffin 4016, now deleted, I think).
I believe there is also a recording on "Comfort and Joy" collection by the Saint Cecilia Singers (Lammas CD LAMM129) - label link is http://www.lammas.co.uk/comfort.htm.

There are sound samples of both these performances on these Amazon pages:
http://www.amazon.com/Christmas-Carols/dp/B00127O2FO/ref=dm_cd_album_lnk?ie=UTF8&qid=1236097141&sr=1-1
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000Y2W2AK/ref=dm_sp_alb

I hope this is the right piece!
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 25, 2009 2:36 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
I wish I could help you Andrew but I've searched all my carol books and recordings and can't find anything with the lyrics you've mentioned.
Sad
Lance

I obviously didn't search hard enough. Found a sampler disc of NoŽl: Carols & Anthems released by Novello in my collection, and there it was Embarassed

Thanks DavidF for the heads up on this Wink

Lance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: