Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Performing Music We Don't Like

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 23, 2007 11:04 pm    Post subject: Performing Music We Don't Like Reply with quote

Found this (quite lengthy) discussion in another Forum - The Ship Of Fools - about accepting a paid engagement to perform pieces of music which you don't like. I'm sure we've all been faced with this situation at some time or other. Twisted Evil
http://forum.ship-of-fools.com/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_topic;f=2;t=010281

What do you do? Shocked

Lance
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Aug 28, 2007 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you've been paid, then you should sing (or arrange a deputy). Mostly I can see this being for a wedding/funeral, where we really are at the behest of the customer. This is their day, we can have a laugh in the pub later and sing another time - they won't get another time...

If you're not being paid, then it depends on the circumstances - if in church service and a personal request, then "grin and bare it". Smile

John.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 12:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwatkins wrote:
If you've been paid, then you should sing (or arrange a deputy).

This has come up on the Organ Forum. I was frankly amazed at the utterly lofty twaddle that the subject engendered.

If one is being paid for a wedding -in my case as organist- then you damn well play what they request. Wagner or Mendelssohn, whatever. Period. End of discussion.

Evil or Very Mad
RobCharles

PostPosted: Wed Aug 29, 2007 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

In my experience with me I charge 50 for Weddings and 40 for Funerals don't about you.

With Weddings with me however some of the couples wanting to marry in church, only use the church and its not very often you see them again and this is what annoys me most they request some stupid organ music that I never heard of for example how can you play Widdors toccata on a 100 year old Tracker Organ? I used to be able to play it!, its not fair on the organist because its his time and practice and the number of lessons ect we all expect things to go smoothly and to be kept practical.

Rob
Aynho Junction

PostPosted: Fri Aug 31, 2007 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I had a weding last year, and at the end according to the service sheet I was supposed to play "Widor's Toccata and Fugue in D Minor by J S Bach" ! Confused

On a more serious note - I honestly can't see the problem with "I vow to thee my country" The 1st verse would seem "jingoistic" if it stood on it's own, but surely v.2 puts things superbly into perspective?
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: