Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Flood damage?

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 8:37 am    Post subject: Flood damage? Reply with quote

Does anyone know whether any organs have been damaged in the current floods? A local church in Somerset was flooded last month, but luckily the organ wasn't affected. The situation in the Gloucester area must mean that churches have been flooded, but no news has been released yet. Anybody know anything?

N
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tewkesbury Abbey was entirely surrounded by water (apologies to A.A. Milne), but there is no info on the website regarding any flood damage.
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed Jul 25, 2007 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It looked like it was surrounded in the tv pictures. I'm also wondering about the smaller village churches.

N
damon

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 1:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RE ::----Tewkesbury Abbey

Although water has entered the Abbey for the first time since 1760, worship is continuing as usual. On Sunday, Evening Prayer was held in the street followed by a curry supper in the Abbey Refectory which 80 people attended. Due to the respite in the weather, spontaneous street parties broke out whilst the Vicar, the Revd Canon Paul Williams, conducted tower tours so that people could survey the flood waters

There a few photos on their website
-
http://www.tewkesburyabbey.org.uk/Temporary%20pages/Flooding.html
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 4:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damon wrote:
I missed those; were they just recently posted? (Must be.) I visited the abbey only last year... had a moment to discuss the organ situation and even played the organ in the quire.

Plenty of other pictures -very depressing- of Powick, Ledbury, Leominster. An email to St. Michael in Ledbury has so far gone unanswered.

But thanks damon... cheers from toyboy. Sad
diapason8

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 7:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps when things have settled down, someone can collate reports of damage to organs and choir libraries/robes etc. It might be possible to organise some concerts to raise money to help them.

N
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
damon wrote:
I missed those; were they just recently posted? (Must be.) I visited the abbey only last year... had a moment to discuss the organ situation and even played the organ in the quire.

Plenty of other pictures -very depressing- of Powick, Ledbury, Leominster. An email to St. Michael in Ledbury has so far gone unanswered.

But thanks damon... cheers from toyboy. Sad

The church in Ledbury is up a bit of a hill so far as I can recall (my maternal grandparents retired there after my grandfather retired as a clergyman), so I'd have thought it would be OK.

Some of my wife's family have a farm just outside Tewkesbury and have had great trouble getting their cattle out of the flood affected areas. Others of my relatives are in Cheltenham and are amongst those running out of drinking water.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Jul 26, 2007 3:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_Underdown wrote:
The church in Ledbury is up a bit of a hill so far as I can recall (my maternal grandparents retired there after my grandfather retired as a clergyman), so I'd have thought it would be OK.

You're probably right. It's been a few years since I have been to St. Michael. However, there were a bunch of photos from Ledbury on BBC -took a while to plow through them- and I thought I saw a picture of St. Michael with water next to it. Not certain of course, only part of the church was in the picture.
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Having eventaully managed to find the pictures it look slike you were right, the water was running down past the church, down Church Street and past the market hall, it didn't actually look that deep though so I suspect the church itself is OK, though the old schoolhouse (the black and white building shown in the photo of Church Street) may have been worse hit as I recall that you go down steps from the doors to floor level.
diapason8

PostPosted: Fri Jul 27, 2007 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

This is the report in today's Church Times:-

http://www.churchtimes.co.uk/content.asp?id=42537

N
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: