Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Hyperion Hymn series

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mustel

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 5:23 am    Post subject: Hyperion Hymn series Reply with quote

Hiya folks.
I am contemplating buying the Hyperion Hymn series, as well as the Anthems and Psalms.

I know Hyperion is great, but are these good performances?

Also, what is the best version of Stainer's Crucifixion. I have the one by Barry Rose, and love it, but now want a version on CD.

Any other works like this?

Newbie Anglican alert!
lancecornea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello mustel !

The Hyperion Hymn series only consists of 5 volumes and it seems ages since Vol.5 came out, so perhaps it's reached a dead end. All are performed by the choir of Wells Cathedral under Malcolm Archer. They are good performances, but you'd get more variety if you collected the Priory Series of 23 volumes by different choirs, choral foundations etc.
As for the psalms, Hyperion is excellent, with St.Paul's under John Scott. It helps your listening enjoyment to have a copy of the St.Paul's Psalter, as John Scott has completely changed the pointing and the chants to which you may be accustomed. The Psalms are also sung in numerical order.
However if you can still get the Priory Series, I can highly reccommend it because again, there are various choirs represented, and each disc contains a selection of the 150 psalms in random order. The beaut thing about this series is that not all cathedrals sing the psalms in the same style. Some are more legato than others, some organists never lift their hands off the manuals, and there's a variety of pointings for the "Gloria".
It all adds to the colour and glory which is Anglican Chant.
When it comes to anthems, I'd shop around and not stick to one particular label. There's just so much around. Dare I say it but there are some fabulous recordings coming out of USA, particularly from St.Thomas's Church, Fifth Ave. New York.

The Stainer Crucifixion by Barry Rose set a benchmark (IMHO) for this work which few have been able to attain. Trouble is that it was recorded on vinyl originally and so as the work runs longer than 2 sides of a 12" record, it was necessarily shortened in the performance from Guildford.
(You can get this performance on CD coupled with Maunder's Olivet to Calvary, also by Guildford, and at budget price).
St.John's College, Cambridge under George Guest is also available on a budget priced disc, but it also is remastered from an earlier recording.
If you want a good recent performance, then might I reccommend Chandos (Chan 9551) by the BBC Singers, Leith Hill Festival Singers, Martyn Hill, Michael George, directed by Brian Kay. Margaret Phillips gives a stunning performance on the organ of All Saints, Tooting.

Jason Evans who regularly contributes to this forum will probably also chip in with some suggestions. He seems to have an encyclopaedic knowledge of the recorded repertoire.

Hope this helps, and welcome to the board Smile

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome mustel!

I highly recommend almost anything from Priory records- they have a great website: http://www.priory.org.uk/ I agree with Lance about the psalms series on Priory- more variety than the St. Paul's recording.

I've collected all the Hyperion CDs from Wells- some real treasures there! The Priory hymn CDs of course stick just to NEH. Also don't miss the anthem series on Priory, and no, I'm not on their payroll.

For a good selection of organ and choral music from the US, the Gothic and Pro Organo labels prove that if Americans can't elect an intelligent president, they can make some great music in church. I have several CDs from Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. No one would mistake the boys for their English counterparts, but fine singing nonetheless.

I'll have to give The Crucifixion another go round. I have the Barry Rose recording also, but some days pre-Elgarian choral music just isn't on my musical menu.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Mon Jul 16, 2007 10:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
I have several CDs from Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. No one would mistake the boys for their English counterparts, but fine singing nonetheless.

....which is very interesting, because John Scott at St.Thomas' has changed the diction of the boys to sound very English. Have a listen particularly to their psalms under Gerre Hancock, and then under Scott. It's like chalk and cheese!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: