Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Masses for Men's voices

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
James

PostPosted: Tue Nov 25, 2003 10:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Power to ya, blessings in this project! Otherwise, no recommendations. Did once, in a Men's choir, sing a fantastic antiphonal "Gloria In excelsis Deo", which I think was by Dufay, Victoria, or one of those guys -- GLORI ya IN ex CEL sis DE o (repeat lotsa times, choir I sing, choir II echo, etc), where the stuff in caps is a fourth above the stuff the stuff in lowercase letters - don't remember which key, let's say, like, alternating between an F and a C, each note one beat - this very stacatto, peppy, with later overlaying it the 'et in terra, pax ....' starting out out on the same fourth (F we'll say) and descending in single steps down to tonic also in one beat, then to move on and do interesting stuff - great performance piece - if anyone knows what this is, I'd love to find it again to try it in our mixed choir.
Randy Mills

PostPosted: Tue Jan 06, 2004 4:07 pm    Post subject: Masses for Men's Voices Reply with quote

A Canadian composer, Denis Bedard, has written a great Missa Brevis for TTBB. The text is latin, and it is not really difficult. I have used the Agnus quite a bit with non-readers. It is published by Gordon V Thompson, Toronto, but he and his wife have their own music site, Cheldar, which (I think) can be accessed through the links at <rcco.ca>.
labarum

PostPosted: Wed Jan 07, 2004 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The classical plainchant is available for the modern English texts for the Community of the Resurrection

See

http://www.mirfield.org.uk/music/index.asp

The plainchant was set to the Book of Common Prayer texts, and is still available.
Handfield

PostPosted: Mon Nov 13, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not sure how useful my comments will be - it's exactly 3 years since the original post! But perhaps others will be interested.

CPDL has a couple of good masses that are worth checking out: Missa Regina Coeli (TTBarB) by Jacobus de Kerle and Mass for Three Voices (TBarB) by Antonio Lotti. I've sung in the former in my parish and it's great.

Early English Church Music (linked from this site) has John Sheppard's Mass "Be Not Afraid" (TTBarB). If you have altos then his Plainsong Mass for a Mean and Frences Mass are worth a look, too. There are probably other masses for men's voices available on the site.

Lionel Power's Missa Alma Remdemptoris Mater (Antico Edition) is recommendable.

Edition Michael Procter publishes a lot of Renaissance polyphony at the pitch it was probably originally sung. So for example you can get the Byrd Mass for Four Voices for ATBB.

Finally, Josef Rheinberger wrote one for men's voices and organ: Mass in F major Op. 90 (Carus Verlag). It's in a fairly chromatic, Romantic style.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: