Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

What is Worship

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Howard

PostPosted: Sat Jan 18, 2003 9:30 am    Post subject: What is Worship Reply with quote

Very Happy We are to sing psalms, hymns and spiritual songs to God and to each other as it says in scripture. Many Anglican Parish churches seem to be easy to categorise, limited to an organ and perhaps a choir with 'traditional' hymns or with a band singing almost exclusively modern hymns. I believe a better mix will enrich. Certainly, although the 'traditional' hymns often tend to be teaching hymns, some of them, (particularly Watts) are hymns of proclamation and exaltation and should be sung far more in contemporary worship. In contemporary worship there still seems to be too much soul-ish stuff about what Christ has done for us. However things are changing. God may be with us through sorrowfull and joyfull times, but He is always the same, yesterday, today and tomorrow, and when we focus on Him and proclaim Him for who He is, we can begin to move from just singing nice songs, but into the temple courts and through even to the throneroom. Jesus tells us (John 4) that the Father is looking for worshippers, worshippers who worship in spirit and truth! Check out some of contempory worship from ministries like Hillsongs, Morning Star and Kingdom Faith..this is real book of Revelation stuff...Halleluiah!

I'm not at all sure about Cathedral services. Though only God truely knows the heart of the worshipper, one would expect to see some evidence of the Holy Spirit at work in worship. I never seem to see or hear any spontaneous prophetic worship, any raising of hands, anyone falllen flat on their faces before God or any worship in tongues in cathedrals.
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 2:46 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Worship Reply with quote

Howard wrote:
I never seem to see or hear any spontaneous prophetic worship, any raising of hands, anyone falllen flat on their faces before God or any worship in tongues in cathedrals.

"Ostentatious worship is worthless, for, rather than seeking to honour the Maker, it covets the attention of men."
Howard

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 4:09 pm    Post subject: Re: What is Worship Reply with quote

I agree, ostentatious worship, (or vulgar and pretentious) is worthless, but I would never want to suggest that cathedral worship is vulgar.
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun Jan 19, 2003 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
prophetic worship, any raising of hands, anyone falllen flat on their faces before God or any worship in tongues
= ostentatious worship
Howard

PostPosted: Mon Jan 20, 2003 7:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ugh? David danced before the Lord with all his might
" prophetic worship, any raising of hands, anyone fallen flat on their faces before God or any worship in tongues". = signs and gifts that accompany worship
Lifting Hands in worship : Psalm 28:2, Nehemiah 8:6, Psalm 63:4, Psalm 134:2, Psalm 141:2, Lamentations 3:41, 1 Timothy 2:8
Bow down with faces to the ground : 2 Samuel 18, Nehemiah 8:6, Judges 13:20, 2 Chronicles 7:3, Isaiah 49:23, Revelation 4
Prophesy and Tongues : Acts 2:17, Acts 2:18, Romans 12:6, 1 Corinthians 12-14. Revelation 10:11, Mark 16:17, Acts 19:6.
Even according to scripture these signs will attract the attention of men; at Pentecost some thought they were drunk and Paul points out tongues can specifically be a sign for unbelievers.
I don't know where you got ostentatious from
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: