Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

APOLLONICON ORGAN & Dr WILLIAM CROTCH
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:06 pm    Post subject: APOLLONICON ORGAN & Dr WILLIAM CROTCH Reply with quote

This organ was a six-manual organ built in 1817 by Flight & Robson for the St Pancras`Diorama in London. It was broken up in the 1840's (?) when the building became a Baptist church. Part of (to quote 'Musical Opinion' "some of the best pipework") was used in 1863 by Thomas Robson to build a two-manual organ which is now in my new church, Bishop's Hull, Taunton, having been purchased by them for the sum of 163, plus 15 for erection and 6-10-10 for railway carriage.

I've also discovered that Willliam Crotch, composer of anthems, chants, some organ music, and Principal of the London Royal Academy of Music spent his last years in Bishop's Hull, living at the home of his son. Crotch presumably played the Robson organ. He died on 29th December, 1847 and is buried in the churchyard.

I'm trying to find more information on both the Apollonicon Organ and Dr Crotch, and would appreciate any help.

Regards,

Nigel
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

six-manuals? Was that a typo?

I know Crotch from his anthem Lo! Star-led chiefs . Also I think some of his psalm settings may still be used. Otherwise, I don't see his name turning up much. (Unfortunate name in any case... is that where the word crotchety came from?)
stocky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm afraid i cant help you nigel my man! but wouldn't mind coming to visit old Crotch... wrote some good chants and of course, lo starled cheifs, (assyrian odours bring, and bending magi seek their infant king), we used to do back when i was a lad! BWS Tom
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jason Evans"] six-manuals? Was that a typo?

quote]

According to the internet, (BIOS site) no, six manuals is correct! It was one of the largest organs in the world at the time.

Nigel
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:
I'm afraid i cant help you nigel my man! but wouldn't mind coming to visit old Crotch... wrote some good chants and of course, lo starled cheifs, (assyrian odours bring, and bending magi seek their infant king), we used to do back when i was a lad! BWS Tom

I'll look for the grave when I'm next there. The ground has been largely cleared, so it may not be marked. There is, though, a plaque in the Lady Chapel. I'll take a picture and email it to you. Probably won't get the chance to get in before the weekend.

Nigel
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diapason8 wrote:
I'll look for the grave when I'm next there. The ground has been largely cleared, so it may not be marked. There is, though, a plaque in the Lady Chapel. I'll take a picture and email it to you. Probably won't get the chance to get in before the weekend.

Nigel

Send one to me too... please.
stocky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You sound like my Brothers Jason! Always want what the other one has got! thats triplets for you! Laughing
cheers nigel! might have to come and visit the famous organ there too if i may?
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:
You sound like my Brothers Jason! Always want what the other one has got! thats triplets for you! Laughing
cheers nigel! might have to come and visit the famous organ there too if i may?

Very welcome, when I get started myself!

Nigel
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Being an only child, it's hard for me to imagine siblings. But triplets ?
That stretches my imagination beyond my current capabilities. Sometime, amongst the church chat, you must tell us how it was growing up...

Cheers!
Jason
stocky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 3:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

for sure! hop over and i'l explain!
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Doing some further research, it seem that the Apollonicon organ had SEVERAL consoles to enable up to six organists to play at any one time. It was also believed to heve been extended at one point by William Hill!

Nigel
stocky

PostPosted: Wed Jun 07, 2006 9:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

6 AT ONECE!!! chaos surely!!! ive seen organ duets but this is insanity! is it a large church? and what latin under your name? bws tom
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 3:43 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think the Latin epithet means "Don't let the bastards grind you down" but in the case of church organists it probably means "Don't let the Vicar choose the music!" Laughing Laughing Laughing

Let's see what Nigel has to say

Lance
diapason8

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 8:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Latin is, as Lance correctly says, 'Don't let the bastards grind you down', but I like the alternative! Rolling Eyes

As far as I can gather at present, and I'm continuing to research this as some of 'the best pipework' from the Apollonicon is in my new organ at Bishop's Hull:

The St Pancras Diorama was a building designed by Pugin and opened in 1823. It was primarily desiged for the viewing of paintings and Daguerrotypes (early photographs - process invented by the Frenchman Daguerre). The auditorium sat 360 people and could be rotated through 73 degrees so that the audience could view 'pictures' through different apertures in the screen through transparent painted panels - a sort of early son et lumiere.

The organ was built by Flight & Robson and had a facade standing 24' high, 20' wide and 18' deep. It was one of the largest organs in the world at that time. It is reported to have originally provision for five players, but William Hill later enlarged this to six. There were six manuals. The organ was bult in 1817, and presumably installed in the hall when it was built. It was removed in the 1840's when the Diorama became a Baptist Chapel. Robson's son, T.J.F. Robson, used 'some of the best pipework' to build the 2-manual organ which he sold to Bishop's Hull for 163.

I'm still trying to find out moew about the organ. Jason, if you're in London and are interested, you may be able to see it. It's in Regents Park. If you do see it, and can come up with any further information, I'd be interested.

Regards,

Nigel
stocky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

CRIPES!!!!!!!!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: