Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Choral Evensong BBC 3
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:27 pm    Post subject: Choral Evensong BBC 3 Reply with quote

I thought if I set up this chat thread, we could use it to discuss the weekly broadcast of Choral Evensong on BBC 3

This week it was from Kings College, Cambridge, and I have a question.
The introit was Surrexit Christus hodie, by Scheidt. I was immediatelty familiar with the melody, but not with the text. I'm sure I've sung this to different words, possibly a Christmas carol. Can someone enlighten me please Question Confused

I thought the choir was in fine form! Loved the Schütz Mag.& Nunc.
The score of the Mag. can be followed here:
http://wso.williams.edu/cpdl/sheet/schz-494.pdf

Cheers Very Happy

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:25 am    Post subject: Re: Choral Evensong BBC 3 Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:

The introit was Surrexit Christus hodie, by Scheidt. I was immediatelty familiar with the melody, but not with the text. I'm sure I've sung this to different words, possibly a Christmas carol. Can someone enlighten me please Question Confused

I thought the choir was in fine form! Loved the Schütz Mag.& Nunc.
The score of the Mag. can be followed here:
http://wso.williams.edu/cpdl/sheet/schz-494.pdf

Lance,

Thanks for the PDF. I'll look forward to listening to the King's CE. Will let you know. Cheers!
Jason
stocky

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everone! i wasnt too impressed with kings broadcast to be honest.... i go there regularly with my director of music at school and my brother and the organ scholar at kings for 2008 (at gloucester for 2007) who is at my school (insanely good organist!!), and they have done alot better than that evensong. but then it is always hard after easter and holy week etc to pull off a broadcast! im hoping to apply there in a couple of years!! should be fun!
glad you enjoyed it lance, but im sure you have heard many CDs from kings and would have found them better? all the best Tom Very Happy
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom

My judgement was based on the fact that I get it off the internet as a streaming audio and so one tends to ignore any blemishes. But I do appreciate your opinion.

All the best in your endeavours to join King's !

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Shocked Anyone?

Did anyone listen to the King's College broadcast last Wednesday? You can still catch it at the BBC3 website.
Sad I can't recall the Christmas carol based on the tune of the introit, Surrexit Christus hodie and was hoping one of you experts could hepl me!

Thanks, in anticipation Smile

Lance
stocky

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 4:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi lance! sorry mate, cant help you with that one! Sad

tom
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 10:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone
I gather from reading your posts that "happy clappy" church music is not your cup of tea. Well did any of you listen to BBC3 Choral Evensong on Wednesday from St.Pancras church as part of the London Contemporary Music Festival ? What did you think, particularly of the Mag. and Nunc. written by Michael Finnissy. This sort of avant-garde music, full of dissonances and tone clusters, probably has a place on the concert hall platform to be performed in a non liurgical fashion, but I don't see a place for it in mainstream Anglican worship. Don't get the impression that I don't enjoy this type of music. In 40 years of singing in choral societies, I have performed many atonal dissonant pieces, and one gets great satisfaction when it all comes together as the composer intended!
But would congregations rather have happy clappy or avant-garde dissonance?
I suspect the former.
I'd be interested in your views

Cheers

Lance
stocky

PostPosted: Sat May 13, 2006 11:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey lance!

i must admit, that im not a fan of wednesdays evensong. didnt think much of the choir or music! im all for atonal music but that really didnt 'float my boat'. sorry! all the best! Tom
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu May 18, 2006 11:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Folks!

Anyone listen to Magdalen College evensong on BBC3 on Wednesday?
For my part, an all Byrd service is one of life's real pleasures! Very Happy
I'm not so sure whether I liked the strings (Fretwork) accompanying the choir. Confused I'd much prefer the organ.

Lance
stocky

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 7:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lance! i agree, it didnt need 'viols'. but i thought that everything was all flat and under key.... i didnt enjoy it that much. All the best, Tom
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri May 19, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom
I'm glad you thought that it was flat and under key. I didn't want to say so in my post before I'd had opinions from some of you people, but they were my sentiments exactly. I was quite disappointed in the sound, pitch, overuse of vibrato in the top line (so much so, that I was almost convinced it was a mixed choir!)
Next week may be better...Vespers from Liverpool Met.

Best wishes

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 7:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Very Happy I was most impressed with Evensong from Liverpool Metropolitan Cathedral, even if the boys' tone was a bit rough. Shocked The full tutti sound plus organ was thrilling in the Finzi anthem. Laughing
Liverpuddlians are so fortunate to have two such marvellous cathedrals making wonderful music.

By the way, next week's program comes from St.David's Cathedral, which has been a recent topic of conversation especially with Jason in this forum. I'll look forward to that.

Wink
Lance
stocky

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 9:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Lance! was in St Davids with my future director of music over easter! very small cathedral but really really beautiful! a good choir too considering that St Davis's has a population of about 2000 people!! and with no choir boarding school they are all local people. very much looking forward to howells gloucester! Best Canticles ever!!!!! nice organ there too! didnt get the chance to play it but will hopefully get to over the summer when i go back there. anyway, should be good! cant say i enjoyed the evensong again either..... i think im far too critical!!!! Confused
but St DAvids will be good!

All the best,

Tom
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 11:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, what did you think of St.David's Cathedral Evensong? I thought it was splendid. While listening, I went to the cathedral Web site, and what a gold mine of information there is here on the music, choirs, and organists of the cathedral. (unlike the Rochester Web page I whinged about in the Cathedral Sub Organist thread)
Top marks to Tim Noon and his team on a really fine effort!

Cheers everyone
Very Happy
Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Jun 01, 2006 4:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Liverpuddlians are so fortunate to have two such marvellous cathedrals making wonderful music.

By the way, next week's program comes from St.David's Cathedral, which has been a recent topic of conversation especially with Jason in this forum. I'll look forward to that.

Hey Lance, I agree. I've never been to a service at the Metropolitan Cathedral, but I have several recordings (one in the New English Hymnal series on Priory) and there is indeed some fine music making going on there. Interesting that the sound of the men and boys at the RC cathedral is much more open and less stylized than their Anglican counterparts.

I've been to several services at the Anglican cathedral and it simply overwhelms!! At one Evensong (beautifully sung by the men and boys), Ian Tracey's closing voluntary was the Franck E major played essentially on full organ. Thrilling! Laughing

Other aspects of Liverpool are less impressive. The Beatles museum is a ripoff and the nightlife very dodgy. I happened to be there over a weekend and it was bedlam! Young punks go out to the pubs with the singleminded goal of getting royally pissed. It was my misfortune to get caught up in it all and I didn't feel particularly safe.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 1 of 17

Jump to: