Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Choral Evensong BBC 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 12, 2006 12:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Superb evensong this week fromWestminster Abbey, with some fine organ playing too from Robert Quinney Very Happy
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 6:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Superb evensong this week fromWestminster Abbey, with some fine organ playing too from Robert Quinney Very Happy

Aye, very fine indeed. I particularly enjoyed the Purcell anthem.

As a fan of S.S. Wesley, the hymn Harewood was nice to hear. I've always been curious why Wesley's tune Alleluia is not in NEH. Several other hymnals I own have it... Confused
diapason8

PostPosted: Sat Oct 14, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jason Evans"]
lancecornea wrote:

As a fan of S.S. Wesley, the hymn Harewood was nice to hear. I've always been curious why Wesley's tune Alleluia is not in NEH. Several other hymnals I own have it... Confused

Perhaps because, as a Welshman, RVW preferred the Pritchard tune, Hyfrydol (commonly called Hydrofoil by English choirs) Evil or Very Mad

N
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 2:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
I suppose it was inevitable that with Dudley Moore's background as an Organ scholar at Magdalen, and then with his propensity for pushing the "establishment" to the limits, that he could use Anglican chant as a vehicle for his humour...

Lance,

In line with the above, I just ran across this the other day:

http://youtube.com/watch?v=R48di5WV82o

Dudley Moore doing a parody of Peter Pears. Try to keep a straight face... Laughing Laughing Laughing
stocky

PostPosted: Wed Oct 18, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey everyone!!!

Any thoughts on evensong from Truro today? i thought they were great!! did anyone else hear the rustling during the Mag? such a shame! am trying to find out the cause of that from my friend who is on his gap year singing down there. any comments? Cheers all!

Tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:

Any thoughts on evensong from Truro today? i thought they were great!! did anyone else hear the rustling during the Mag?

Well I heard it too. Any info on this? Whatever, Truro is a magnificent cathedral -I attended CE there several years ago- and it was a pleasure to hear this latest broadcast. Enjoyed the William Harris compositions- didn't wickedchorister proclaim Faire as the Heaven as one of her favs? She should have heard these others...

Did anyone click on the youtube link from my previous post? (I'm hoping Lance will have.) Okay, I'm too young to have heard Peter Pears live, but Dudley Moore's parody had every nuance of Pears's vocal production down to a farthing. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:

Did anyone click on the youtube link from my previous post? (I'm hoping Lance will have.) Okay, I'm too young to have heard Peter Pears live, but Dudley Moore's parody had every nuance of Pears's vocal production down to a farthing. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Jason, you are a legend finding this!
I've had a recording of Dudley Moore doing this parody, but never seen it "live" until now. As you point out, it is Pears to perfection. If you want Pears at his best, listen to the recording he made with Britten of The War Requiem.

By the way Jason, the other Moore piece I emailed you about is also available on Youtube, but modesty prevents me from posting the link!

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Now my thoughts on today's Evensong. What more can one say about an Evensong filled with music by William Harris. It was a sheer delight. The boys effortlessly handled the music with aplomb!

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 5:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
By the way Jason, the other Moore piece I emailed you about is also available on Youtube, but modesty prevents me from posting the link!

I couldn't find it on YouTube, so why not post it? Just because the link is there doesn't require everybody to click on it! Wink Better yet, post it in the "Chatter" section.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 19, 2006 10:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think John would put his moderator hat on and delete the post even in the Chatter section.Embarassed
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
I think John would put his moderator hat on and delete the post even in the Chatter section.Embarassed

Probably, but I don't think Admin/John is that much of a prig. Laughing
Do you think he was watched the Dudley Moore parody?
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Oct 20, 2006 9:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If the truth be known, John would probably enjoy it Twisted Evil
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed Oct 25, 2006 10:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The BBC really had me hoodwinked this week.Here I was thinking that we would get something from King's that we hadn't heard before. To add to my annoyance, the program was nearly 4 minutes late in starting. Evil or Very Mad
The service is the one which is already available on the old 1955 Argo recording "Evensong"(Argo RG-99) and I'm sure some of our readers have a copy of this in their archives. Here I was thinking that we would get something that we hadn't heard. To add to my annoyance, the program was nearly 4 minutes late in starting.
Having whinged all this, I must say it was lovely to re-hear this service without the crackles and pops of old vinyl. And it was wonderful to have The General Confession at the start of the service. The additional tracks by Howells and Wesley after Evensong to fill in the hour were very worthwhile.

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance,

I really enjoyed this broadcast, not having ever heard the original LP. What a feast. But EEK Surprised 1955? That was the year my mum was born!

If you still have the LP, could you possibly email me the musical selections? No rush, but much appreciated!

Cheers,
Jason
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 9:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, I'll post them to you as mp3 files. Do you want the responses as well as the major works?

Lance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 7 of 17

Jump to: