Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Choral Evensong BBC 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Sep 07, 2006 6:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone catch the latest CE on Radio 3?

I quite enjoyed it. The introit and anthem were wonderful as was the hymn, Coe Fen , a particular favourite. I was a bit surprised that one of Charles Wood's many settings of the canticles (I have recordings of seven of them) was not used.

And may we wish that Priory will continue their series of Charles Wood's anthems? Only two volumes so far. Let us have more.

Cheers,
Jason
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 5:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
I was a bit surprised that one of Charles Wood's many settings of the canticles (I have recordings of seven of them) was not used.

This may have been a good opportunity to air one of Wood's canticle settings but I really enjoyed Stanford's setting for double chorus of the Magnificat (in Latin). Correct me if I am wrong, but this setting never made it on to the Priory series of Mag.& Nunc. recordings, so it was quite a revelation to hear it Very Happy Very Happy

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Gorgeous singing this week from The London Oratory Very Happy
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:

Yes, indeed, Lance. I quite enjoyed it! It was certainly an "RC" version of CE -and as such remains out of my realm- but fine music making all around.
Andrew Butler
Resigned

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
lancecornea wrote:

Yes, indeed, Lance. I quite enjoyed it! It was certainly an "RC" version of CE -and as such remains out of my realm- but fine music making all around.

The irony is that CR is a "version" of what you heard yesterday rather than the other way round! Evensong is an amalgam of the offices of Vespers and Compline.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Sep 14, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Butler wrote:
The irony is that CR is a "version" of what you heard yesterday rather than the other way round! Evensong is an amalgam of the offices of Vespers and Compline.

Thanks, Andrew, I'm certainly aware of that having studied the English Church and its music at university. But being an admitted traditional Anglican... guilty as charged. Very Happy

My apologies for being intellectually sloppy.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Sep 15, 2006 11:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was really taken by the Oratory's performance of Monteverdi - Adoramus te Christe. I even ran off a free copy for myself to sing along (from www.cpdl.org ) I've searched the internet to find a good recording of this piece but all I can find of any note is the Hyperion disc from their Monteverdi series (vol.4 , The Kings Consort Choir) and I'd like to know if you guys know of this recording, or any other which has the quality and ambience of the Oratory choir. They dont appear to have made a commercial recording of this work. Sad
Thanks,
Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Sep 21, 2006 5:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another enjoyable CE from Derby, a parish church cathedral I have yet to vist.

The final hymn "There's a wideness in God's mercy" was sung to a favourite tune of mine, Corvedale . It was written for St. Paul's, but alas is not in NEH. Perhaps it is too new? NEH uses the tune Cross of Jesus . One American hymnal I consulted has the words to a tune called Slingsby , otherwise unkown to me.

The closing voluntary, Rhapsody on a Ground by Heathcote Statham should be better known. There is a fine recording from Norwich Cathedral on Regent Records with David Dunnett.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sun Sep 24, 2006 8:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone know whether the Derby Girls' Choir joined forces with the Men and Boys for this Evensong?
Just another example of a Cathedral having a really poor web site with respect to their music, only showing service times and type of service. Evil or Very Mad
damon

PostPosted: Wed Sep 27, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Enjoyed todays Evensong (27th)
psalm 91 -sung slow - very good indeed
Not heard the Introit before....made a pleasant and lively start ......
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Sep 28, 2006 11:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was a wonderful service from an historical viewpoint. The address by Revd. Andrew Walters said it all! It's a tragedy that such a fine choral foundation as St.Michael's Tenbury had to close in 1985. Have a look at this link and see the famous names of the Wardens and Fellows of the College. The plaque used to hang in the dining hall but is now in the chapel.
http://www.smcsociety.co.uk/images/wardenscomp.jpg

If you wish just to hear the address again it is downloadable from this site, http://www.smcsociety.co.uk/music.html together with a lot of other musical goodies from the St.Michael's archives.

The old Argo recording made in the late 60's of the choir under Lucian Nethsingha will always remain one of my all time treasured discs

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 6:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I finally found the time to listen to the latest CE. Thanks, Lance, for your contribution- as always.

It is interesting what we gain from these broadcasts. The highlight for me was the Office Hymn: Neander . (NEH #351) Definitely one of the great Lutheran hymns. I've always loved it.
stocky

PostPosted: Sat Sep 30, 2006 8:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi guys!

Havnt had a chance to listen again to CE but director of chapel music said it was good! a few of us are on a little road trip to Kings Cambridge this afternoon to go to hear Howells col reg and joubert o lorde the maker of all thing. and a little organ recital too! should be fun! cheers all!
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Oct 05, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quite a treat from the Beeb this week with CE, not only giving us some wonderful singing from the Pilgrim Consort but also a bonus video of them performing a motet by Pablo Casals. For those of you who enjoyed the works from the Llibre Vermell, I can heartily recommend a CD by Jordi Savall and Hespèrion XX "Llibre Vermell de Montserrat" on Virgin Edition 7243 5 61174 2 6 Very Happy

Lance

PS The forum is a bit quiet this week Shocked
damon

PostPosted: Sat Oct 07, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

yes, a bit quiet,just come back from The Vienna Boys Choir concert in Belfast -- so missed this weeks C/E.
Next week should be good from Westminster Abbey..
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 5, 6, 7 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 6 of 17

Jump to: