Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Choral Evensong BBC 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David,

Interesting too that when the new diocese was to be created, the obvious place to look for a parish church-upgrade was Ipswich, the larger city in Suffolk. Yet it had no churches that could properly be expanded. Then of course in Bury St. Edmunds, St. Mary's was the larger parish church, yet because of its location, expansion was impossible.

I agree with you, beautiful city.
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Tue Jul 11, 2006 8:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Much the same as when we were singing there, some proportion of the song school is also blocked off with similar hoarding, which made lining up for processing in interesting.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Jul 15, 2006 5:38 am    Post subject: Evensong at Durham Reply with quote

Did anyone catch the live broadcast of CE from Durham? It was a quite a musical feast. The Office Hymn, Strength and Stay is a favourite of mine: positively delectable! Camidge's setting of psalm 67 was fun and of course Howells's St. Paul's Service has to be his most dramatic setting. Always a pleasure to hear- and well sung. I enjoy all of Leighton's music and the two selections heard were no exception. I was not familiar with the hymn Palace Green.

James Lancelot and his sub organist Keith Wright are amongst the best in the business.

Several years ago I visited Durham. After alighting the train from Edinburgh, I headed to the cathedral and it was packed with visitors. It is definitely one of the more popular ones, if without the crushing crowds at Canterbury. There was to be a concert that evening and I got to hear a full rehearsal of Tchaikovsky's Manfred Symphony . This is music of such intense surcharged emotion, and with the very live acoustics, the climax had an intensity that bordered on the apocalyptic. I almost had to run for cover.

The next day was Sunday and I attended 9:00 Matins, 10:30 Eucharist and 15:00 CE. The men and boys sang at all the services (I sat in the quire except for the 10:30 service) and I was extremely impressed with the choir and their director. Such a joyous sense of communication James Lancelot imparts.

Stanford's Morning Service in C was done at Matins (Tom, I thought you would appreciate that) and Blair in B minor was done at CE. Excellent music making. Durham Cathedral is a national treasure.

Cheers!
Jason
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 16, 2006 12:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I listened to Durham CE and was quite impressed. They can come and sing for me whenever they wish! Very Happy
I've also been searching the web to find a program one can use to record a streaming audio of this kind. The one I'm testing is Replay Radio 7 (demo download) and I tried it out on the Durham broadcast. Works well but only in 15 minute bites. Anyone know of a better free download? Confused

Cheers

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 3:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
I've also been searching the web to find a program one can use to record a streaming audio of this kind. The one I'm testing is Replay Radio 7 (demo download) and I tried it out on the Durham broadcast. Works well but only in 15 minute bites. Anyone know of a better free download?

Lance, I'm with you here. I'd like to record them too, particularly as only the current broadcast is archived. Some of the music making I have heard is too wonderful not to want to have it it my library.

Cheers,
Jason
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Mon Jul 17, 2006 9:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have seen this product Total Recorder which should be available from http://www.highcriteria.com/ but I haven't used it myself and I'm not sure if it's free.

For an alternative fix of online music, take a look at http://www.stjohnscollegecambridge.co.uk/ .

David
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 5:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lovely CE from Eton this week Very Happy
Fascinating chants to Psalms 98 and 99........either a good example of Ben Parry's toungue in cheek humour, or bordering on plagiarism! I think the former may be the case.
The Walton Mag and Nunc were new to me but the unmistakable Walton signature was there, reminding me so much of Belshazzar's Feast.
What a superb reading of the Britten. Haven't heard this one for ages!

Only one little whinge. Did anyone other than me think the organ needed tuning???? Confused

Cheers

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cheers Lance, I just finished listening to the latest BBC3 CE for the third time! Where are the others on this board for this highlite of our week?

Psalm 98 by Ben Parry: why do I know this? I cannot find anything in my database, so I guess I do not own a recording, but none-the-less I loved it and know it quite well. Any ideas?

I generally admire Walton, but truth to tell, his Chichester Service has never been a favourite. The Britten, on the other hand, is a great love of mine. So are the Leighton responses.

And then we come to... Wolvercote! This is one of my all time great hymns... I could play it till the cows come home. Anecdote: I visited a parish church in Wells once - I heard that tune and asked the organist to play it again for me. (He was going over music for a wedding.) It's admittedly very difficult and he stumbled a bit. I wanted to move on to the console and show him what I could do, but just settled for going outside and smoking a cigarette whilst this great tune was slopped through. Such is life.

It was interesting that this hymn was done from the Eton College Hymnal (number 187 instead of 420 from NEH) and they deleted a verse, making mincemeat out of the glorious poem. Why would they do that?

Jason

Last edited by Jason Evans on Fri Jul 21, 2006 7:07 am; edited 1 time in total
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 2:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
Psalm 98 by Ben Parry: why do I know this? I cannot find anything in my database, so I guess I do not own a recording, but none-the-less I loved it and know it quite well. Any ideas?

Hi Jason. Like I said in my post, it's either a tongue in cheek chant or the best of plagiarism. It would appear that he has pinched four psalm quarters and woven them into one chant. Also Psalm 99 which contains the opening of the "Lift up your heads o ye gates" unison part of the tune St.George's Edinburgh.

I deliberately omitted to mention the closing hymn because I knew I could rely on you to comment on Wolvercote, with your passion for the hymn tunes of W.H.Ferguson! Perhaps time constraints caused by the length of the Britten anthem meant they had to cut one verse Evil or Very Mad

As for where our other contributors are, perhaps the hot weather has given them sunstroke!

Cheers all!Laughing

Lance
stocky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 4:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey all!

home internet is too crummy to allow me to listen again to evensong so i cant comment!! how are we all? sunstroke is deffinatly the correct term! is very hot! and Jason, Smoking indeed! as my oriental director of studies at school said (in accent!) eeis baad fow youw! Laughing ! so hop onto the waffle topic and let me know how we all are! cheers guys!

BWS Tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Jul 21, 2006 6:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:
as my oriental director of studies at school said (in accent!) eeis baad fow youw!

Yes, mother. Sad

So, Tom, you only listen to CE live? I admit the sound isn't the best -your computer speakers have something to do with that- but it doesn't bother me terribly.

Hot as blazes, though the continental US has been baking all week. Will head off to Piccadilly Circus with my mates in a bit and find a nice air conditioned club. Have a great weekend, all.

Jason
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 1:49 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi all Very Happy

David Briggs certainly added his sparkle to Evensong from Buckfast Abbey this week, but I found all the plainchant a bit tedious. Parry's "Rustington" is a fine tune I haven't sung in a long time as that tune is set to different words in the Australian Hymn Book.

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance, my dearest mate! Very Happy

I read your post before listening and it was with some trepidation that, after looking at the program, I proceeded.

Respectfully, I must disagree. I loved every moment of it! I hope to listen a few more times before it is removed by next Wednesday.

Briggs's opening introit was incredible (what a talented musician he is) and the psalms and canticle (minus the Nunc dimittis) were anything but "tedious". On the contrary, his backup harmonizations on the organ gave the plainsong settings a breath of fresh air, a new life, something that really communicated to me. Just terrific.

Parry's Rustington is indeed a fine tune, yet for some reason it was sung to "Through the night of doubt and sorrow" (set to #468 in NEH) instead of the words we both may know: "Ye know that the Lord is gracious", #477 in NEH.

Briggs's closing improv was expectedly superb. Give the CE another listen! BTW, we seem to be the only ones who religiously listen every week. A pity, as I wish others would do so and post.

Cheers!
Jason
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 8:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason

Perhaps I was a bit too critical in using the word tedious , but I did say that David Briggs brought sparkle to the performances including the psalms and the Mag. Yes, I agree with your comments on the introit, there were some lovely harmonizations in the work and it was on oversight on my part not to mention it in the original post.
Have a good day Very Happy

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 7:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Perhaps one becomes too critical in older age, but IMHO Christ Church Oxford absolutely murdered the Psalms in this week's Choral Evensong by over-use of lenghthened vowels, almost to the extent that the poetry became unrecognizable. Mad Not very nice, Mr.Darlington!

Grumpy Lance Evil or Very Mad
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 4 of 17

Jump to: