Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Tom and Jason's Church music Waffle!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Mon May 22, 2006 9:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting to read this thread after being away from a computer for several days.

It has been raining continually here in Great Malvern. I stopped into the priory church Saturday to pick up some postcards and there was to be an Evensong! Visiting choir from London; canticles Dyson in D .

Yesterday I went to the Sunday Eucharist at Worcester Cathedral though had to leave after communion in order to catch a train to Hereford! (They don't run very frequently on Sunday.) It was a gala Evensong at Hereford Cathedral! Prebendaries were being appointed so with all the pomp and ceremony the service lasted almost 90 minutes! The nave was completely full. The choir sang excellently and I surprisingly got very moved by Harwood in Ab . It was nice to hear the rebuilt organ and after the service the organist (Peter Dyke) launched into a stately and perfectly played Bach 9/8. Hopefully there will be recordings of the organ.

Cheers all- I look forward to being more active on the board when I return to London Saturday. I'm off to Brighton tomorrow for some non-liturgical excitement. (Purely for variety of course.)
diapason8

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Gents (and any ladies watching this thread - please other forummers join in),

Have been busy with other things since Sunday. Glad you enjoyed Bristol, Rob. Did you learn to speak any 'Krek Bristle' - the local dialect? Those are certainly very good organs you played, but by no means the only good ones (says he 'patriotically' as my wife is a Bristolian). I heard Colston Hall a while back at a Uni graduation ceremony - I think John Marsh was playing, and I unearthed a very old gramophone record of Preston playing it. All Saints is nice too - I've got another old LP of Edward Fry. I've never been into Christchurch - must try next time I'm up. I think, though, it has a reputation for 'happy-clappiness'.

Glad you're enjoying your organcrawl, Jason: and enjoy the partying afterwards! Just don't mix the 2: I remember playing for a Midnight Mass when I was young, having previously been poured a tumbler of sherry by one of my choir at a pre-service party. And again in the same parish, carol singing on Christmass Eve, finishing in the pub. One of the choir girls (yes, she was over 1Cool had to be carried into the choirstalls by her mates, and propped upright during the service. Very puritanical vicar not impressed! Evil or Very Mad

Have a good week - and, plase, other new forummers join in or start your own threads.

Nigel
lancecornea

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nigel
Would the old record of Preston at Colston Hall be the one with the Elgar Sonata on it? I absolutely love that recording and IMHO it's the definitive performance of the sonata.

Lance
diapason8

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 12:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes it is, Lance. Unfortunately a very old and scratched LP which I bought from the library when they converted to CD. But still a superb recording of a fabulous organ!

Nigel
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:26 pm    Post subject: Brighton! Reply with quote

Wow, just pulled into Brighton this afternoon. What a cool place... so alive. I'm sitting in a wifi bar (tho Heineken at 3.05 seems a tad expensive) and enjoying getting caught up. Will do the usual stuff later this evening that people in their 20's are wont to do.

I noticed that Simon Jenkins in his book England's 1000 Best Churches lists two churches in Brighton that I must see: St. Bartholomew and St. Michael. Will certainly visit them tomorrow; anyone here have experience with them? I notice a lot of other large churches also, so perhaps will be quite busy checking them out.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 6:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Hey Nigel
Would the old record of Preston at Colston Hall be the one with the Elgar Sonata on it? I absolutely love that recording and IMHO it's the definitive performance of the sonata.

Hey Lance... haven't heard that recording. One to check out, however, is Thomas Murray at Woolsey Hall (Yale University, USA). Excellent. A few days ago I heard the first mov't at the priory church in Great Malvern after Evensong. Alas, the organist took it at quite a clip with resultant smudges in passagework. Perhaps it was nerves, but that mov't doesn't gain from being taken too fast.
stocky

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 8:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jason! this time last week exactly i was singing in a concert in st bartholomews! its bloomin hideous!! massive and nice accoustic but hideous! was asked to sing with the lancing college choir as a new scholar! was good fun and i also caught the end of a lunchtime organ recital too! nice 3 manual walker west end. anyway, have a look! its interesting! all the best! and dont do anything i wouldnt! Laughing Tom
RobCharles

PostPosted: Tue May 23, 2006 10:37 pm    Post subject: Recording an Organ in a Church envornment Reply with quote

Hi Folks

Nice too see this thread going well you can see info about the All Saints Church in Mumbles Swansea by going to www.allsaintsmumbles.org and they have put the link too the organ on the main page

When I was there practicing last week I decided to have a go of recording the organ at the moment I use a Tape Recorder TDK Normal Possition and a standard mike.

What do you recomend for recording purposes?

Cheers

Rob
stocky

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Rob!

try using a computer compatible microphone and record it on media player or whichever media player you use. thats how we recorded our GCSE perfomances! works a treat on organs!! i played howells psalm prelude 1 set 1 as mine and it worked well! hope its useful! all the best, Tom
RobCharles

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You have lost me here, How can I take my computer gear down too a church? lol

I just want something like a Minidisk recorder or something like that so that I can record from Minidisk CD's and use a good microphone and a good microphone stand.

Do you follow me?
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm involved with a community radio station, doing live broadcasts etc. Last Autumn, did a series on local organs 'Organ Loft'. I used an old ex-BBC Uher reel-to-reel machine at 7.5 ips. I was shown how nto work one of these personally by Kate Adie when I was 16 and at school! I've recently bought a Minidisc off Ebay which I've tried, and seems good. I edited the programmes on a free programme, Audacity, which is, by coincidence, currently being discussed on another thread on the forum.

I'll have a look at the Mumbles website later, when I've got a bit more time. School run pending!

Regards,

Nigel
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Addn to last post.

You definitely need a good microphone (mine cost 80 some years ago) and take care to position it carefully.

N
stocky

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 2:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry rob!

we used laptops. theres me being stupid again! you can tell ive had 3 exams today!! you can always try and lug your pc in the boot of your car and take an extension lead to power it? or i suggest what nigel said and get a minidisk and mic and use that! thats what my parents did at big occsions in the cathedral! the only thing is that some minidisk stuff has become obsolite so buying on ebay is your best bet! good luck!
Tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:37 pm    Post subject: Hey Tom... really? Reply with quote

Yeah, got to St. Bartholomew today. Don't really know what to make of it all. Father Arthur Wagner must have been a rather eccentric soul with his complete Anglo-Catholic leanings and money to burn! I guess this church must be his crowning glory, but I'll setttle for his crowning folly . The Cardinal Newman school (pre-Roman) on steroids.

What to say. The nave rises 135 feet from the floor (6 feet higher than Westminster Abbey) and is indeed the highest parish church in Europe. I had a nice chat with the attendant and he took me up to the organ loft where I honked away for a while. I asked him: "this church is more Roman than Canterbury". He said; "then it is accomplished." Brighton is very Anglo-Catholic and here was proof. (Boils my Protestant blood. Evil or Very Mad )

Very Byzantine structure with gaudy high alter, confessional booths (oh dear), prominent Stations of the Cross, pleasant smells, candles and holy water at strategic points. A look at the music program and they're doing all the major masses. Nice to see Schubert in G, a wonderful work. Plus delectable masses of Haydn.

Toured the Royal Pavilion today. That was certainly quite the sight. Last night I experienced the night life and got way too pissed. But of course I came here to let loose and party. Off to Chichester Cathedral tomorrow to check it out. Last visited there in 2001 and may try to catch an Evensong. Will report on that.

Cheers, all. I'm having a terrific holiday.
Jason
RobCharles

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 3:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi All

Nigel what Microphone do you reckomend me too get ??

Thanks

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 6, 7, 8 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 7 of 24

Jump to: