Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Tom and Jason's Church music Waffle!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
I must see if I can find the Truro recording you mentioned. I don't have any recordings of this choir, only of the Organ.

Enjoy your holiday and let us know what music was sung at all the Evensongs you're likely to attend!

The Truro CD is called Music for a Cathedral's Year and is on Priory 732. Well worth searching out. In Exitu Israel is wonderful: I heard it a few years ago superbly done at Exeter. I'll let you know about the Evensongs I attend.

Cheers,
Jason
diapason8

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 1:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which setting is that, Tom? There are so many for the new CW Liturgy that it's hard to keep up. I quite like David Thorne's 'St Thomas Mass' -we use it often at Curry, alternating with 'Addington' (Shephard) , Murray and Inwood's 'Gathering Mass'.

Rector told the cong today that I was leaving. We didn't follow it up with that traditional anthem for the departure of an incumbent - O clap your hands together O ye people. Last hymn (following the announcement) was to the Vaughan Williams 'Old Hundredth' with 'all available trumpets'. Loads of the cong spoke to me afterwards - all those who normally complain about the hymns were sorry I'm going. It's that old 'absence' thing again.

My oldest recording of Blessed be the God ... is on LP with Canterbury under Allan Wicks. I also found a recording in Oxfam of Winchester with our last curate singing the treble solo. I've also got a cassette of Salisbury under Richard`Seal somewhere. Must look out for Truro.

Enjoy your trip, Jason,

Regards,

Nigel
stocky

PostPosted: Sun May 07, 2006 9:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi nigel!! it was the coventry mass setting. one of those horrendous new wave settings. not sure who its by. it was awful!!! the only reason i endured it was that it was the first time i had been home in 4 weeks so i thought id help out dads choir and played Howells psalm prelude no1 set 1 at the end for a bit of practice. was good fun! at salisbury, we always used to do 'The old order changeth' by richard shepard for when the senior choristers left after the southern Cathedrals festival in the summer. then the hymn would be, 'the day thou gavest lord is ended' which used to make all the girl choristers blub!!!! but David halls would break the mood by playing messien or Hakim or Gillou somthing show stoppingly incredbly hard!!! ahhh the memories! Crying or Very sad best years of my life!! what church in Taunton u going to? all the best! Tom

JASON! have a good one chap!keep us updated!
lancecornea

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Everyone

My recording of Wells Cathedral Organ arrived today from UK, and I was delighted to listen to the Percy Fletcher Festival Toccata. It is indeed a splendid piece of colourful writing, and I particularly enjoyed the BIG Tuba fanfare link between the second and third section.
The organ sounds marvellous - it is so bright at the top end. Would I be correct though in thinking that this may be the only major cathedral organ in England without a 32' pedal? Does anyone know why one wasn't added by Harrisons at the time of the rebuild? I would have thought that the cathedral was large enough to benefit from a 32' stop. After all, our Cathedral in Melbourne is smaller than Wells and it has two 32's. It is a T.C.Lewis organ, rebuilt by Harrison & Harrison.

Thanks Jason for the details of the Truro recording. I'll watch for that one.

Cheers

Lance
stocky

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 1:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi lance! Wells Cathedral is actually very small! i play the organ very regularly and i must admit, i dont enjoy it very much. the consol is crammed inbetween the pipes and it is very hard to judge what volume you are playing. it is fun though! you are correct about the 32. there isnt one! bizzare isnt it! i dont know why one wasnt added? ah well! the last time i played the fletcher in performance properly was at wells for the prep school prize giving at the end of last term. fun! just let rip and hear the kids clap at the end! all the best, Tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Mon May 08, 2006 2:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom and Lance,

Yes, I found it interesting that Wells has no 32'. I'm sure Malcolm Archer was delighted to move on to St. Paul's where he would have considerably more to work with. Laughing Glad you liked the CD and look forward to when you obtain the Truro recording.

Cheers,
Jason
diapason8

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 1:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wonder whether the lack of a 32' at Wells is due to space constraints. I recall that the organ was enlarged at its last rebuild in the 1970's? Certainly a new case was added, with the positiv case facing the Quire. Access is very restricted, and I would think that a 32' would be very difficult to fit in. Much of the upperwork was added by Harrison's at that rebuild, and made such a difference! I remember going to a series of recitals when I was working nearby. Can't remember who, though - after 30+ years!

Tom, I'm going to Bishop's Hull which has a 2-manual Robson dating from 1863 (hence another thread asking for the review in the Musical Standard at that time). I've decided to play the Georgi Mushel 'Toccata' at my final service at Curry if I can find time to practice the middle section (the bit that sounds like a fairground organ!) Another 'fun' piece, often played by the organist of Wellington School and requested recently from me at a wedding, is Nigel Ogden's 'Penguin's Playtime'. Play the last page 'con belto' with all the tremulants!

Glad you enjoyed your dad's church - except for Coventry Mass. I must remember to avoid it at all costs! There are some good ones about, but some are so trite and banal! Noli illegitimi carborundum.

N
stocky

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 4:14 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel!

good luck for your new job and of course learning the middle section! i recently aquired a book called fun pieces for organ and sight read through a piece called 'musical minagery' which was truly bizare and had about 12 different themes in! all rediculously loud except 'the animals went in 2 by 2!' which was good fun! my school managed to aquire a fairly good electric Wyvern organ over the weekend, so im trying to use the church organ as little as possible!!! Have you ever played at Wells? i do quite a lot when i can but it is very hard work! it must have been extremely hard before the re-do! got cricket now so best be off!!! all the best, Tom
diapason8

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 7:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You're lucky to have an 'in' at Wells through school. In the past, they've never allowed us 'parish' organists to actually play it. But, I hope to get in sometime through Millfield as my step-daughter will be there in September and they use it for their services.

A friend had a Wyvern some years ago, but I'm not familiar with the new models. I've got a very old Allen at home which is useful for practice but 'doesn't sound very good.

Hope you enjoyed the cricket.

Nigel
stocky

PostPosted: Tue May 09, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Nigel!

cricket was good thanks! i only played it because my head of music normally plays it for end of term things for the prep school but he gets busy and sends me down instead. he says its all good practice for me! bit off not letting parish organists use the organ? most cathedrals welcome visitors!
how was your day?

ATB Tom
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 8:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Tom,

Stress at the moment as middle step-daughter is taking GCSE's. Orals have started already, and the main lot after the half-term break. I've not met Matthew Owen yet, but may see him at the weekend if I can get to a recital he's giving locally - at Wiveliscombe. When I was regularly at Wells the Cathedral Organist (in those days Denys Pouncey and later Tony Crossland) was very 'distant' and used to make us choristers quake in our boots. Very much the old school Headmaster manner!

I remember my old piano teacher telling me not to play cricket as I might injure my hands! 30 years later I smashed my right arm in 3 places in a motorbike accident. Luckily it mostly works now except for some loss of sensation in the palm and less articulation and power in the thumb.

Must get some work done. Unfortunately (or is it), in the words of the old morning hymn 'New every morning', 'the trivial round, the common task won't furnish all I need to ask'.!

N
stocky

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi nigel!

yeh i was told that cricket and rugby should be avoided by my piano teacher! last 3 years i got 2 concussions and 6 broken fingers and 2 broken toes and nerver damage in my thigh in rugby!! fantastic sport!!! cricket only got broken nose and one finger and had to do my grd 8 paino exam with a broken finger! still got 1 mark off destinction so happy with that!!!

Had my French Oral yesterday!!! cant wait for GCSEs to finish too! gona be a good summer!!! going on an organ course at sherborne school (arch rivals!!!). does your step-daughter enjoy millfield? i was there on monday taking an electric organ back that the school had borrowed as the new one hadnt come yet! had a look around there when i was in my last year at salisbury cathedral school but chose Kings Bruton instead. good school but crud music! which is why im going to lancing in september with my bro!

Hope your having a good day!

All the best, Tom
stocky

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

sorry nigel! were you a chorister at wells cathedral then?
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 12:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

No such luck as being a chorister at Wells. I sang in a choir in a tiny tin church in Portishead from age 8 to voice breaking and moving down county to Weston-super-Mud where I sang bass in St Pauls church and learned to play the organ. Got my first organists job in a little country church with an early Compton electronic when I was 19. Horrible organ, but we had a choir and the Vicar was an ex Precentor at Bristol.

Our choir used to sing regularly at Wells for choral festivals etc. In those days the Organist was D.D. R. Pouncey who was a real martinet. If we were lucky the (then) sub, Tony Crossland was conducting. Dudley Holroyd was then at Bath Abbey and oiften conducted us. He was another martinet & perfectionist - used to cuss and swear if we got it wrong - especially in the psalms! Dudley was organ advisor and I met him several times later. He was a good player and a very pleasant chap when you got to know him. He got the push from the Abbey after a scandal and went freelance for many years afterwards.

My step-daughter is an athlete and is going to Millfield in the autumn. She's currently at school locally.

Parish church music is really the sharp end. No money, little resources, and, often, much negative response. If you've been playing at the parish church, you may have encountered some of this! Evil or Very Mad But, there's often a chance to do good music and to try to raise standards. But .... the overwhelming influence is to dumb down ... you just have to ignore it and keep going. Not many of us, these days, get the chance to be directly involved in the cathedral liturgy, but we do our best in sometimes difficult circumstances. But don't let me put you off! It can be very rewarding and satisfying when things go well.

Most of us in parish music are 'amateurs', just doing our best. Sometimes I wish I could go back 40 years and start again musically. But, there you are ....... I'm just getting old!

Enjoy!

Nigel
stocky

PostPosted: Wed May 10, 2006 6:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel! good evening?

my dad puts up with a lot at his church of clergy and even members of the congregation telling him how to do his job even though he is one of the most qualified musicians in the south and they have no idea what they are talking about!! ive witnessed this first hand too! they direct it towards me when my dad had a nervous breakdown and i took charge of the choir and organ playing with my triplet bro ewan (organ scholar at Lancing college). we put up with a lot over last summer even when we didnt have to be there helping them out. we even put on a recital series for them! with friends and teachers playing to standard well above what they expected of us. we soon put a stop to this attutde they have towards my dad by writing to the bishop and precentor who are both friends of ours and the family! i did enjoy the experience of running my own choir which made me decide to be a director at a cathedral after my experiences as a chorister. its very hard for people who wernt choristers themselves to get involved in cathedral music which is why church music in general needs to get ex choristers and new people activly involved with music making, but its churches like my dads that put people off. sorry to rant on but i feel the church may be encouraging youth but in the wrong way by exploiting them to rock bands etc in church. it possibly takes away the point of church and turns it into a weekly rock concert. i have strong views on this as you may imagine! as do you i think?

all tthe best!

Tom

P.S. dont let your wife sell your organ!!! my mu just sold our Wurlitzer! it was crud anyway but it saved a 5 min walk down to church in the hols!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 4 of 24

Jump to: