Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Tom and Jason's Church music Waffle!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 10:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diapason8 wrote:
Organ Forum is interesting. Thre's a lot of tosh, and many, many spammers, but some good bits too. And the American 'attitude' is so different from ours.

Nigel:

At first I wasn't certain what you meant by "American attitude", but now I'm at least alerted to it. It's really a whole different world- and one that I'm not sure I really understand. Any more comments? I need to sleuth around the website to get more of a feel for what is going on.

Perhaps we need to open a new topic here: "The Latest from the Americans on The Organ Forum "?
stocky

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 5:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason!!

Cheers for that! it is my Grandmothers 90th Bday on sunday so her God-Daughter (ARchers neice) is coming to see her so will talk to them! i think the Boys are still there as far as i know.
Southwell is Marvellous!! really nice place, and minster! Choir are better than most i must say, even though they are relativly unheard of which i think is a shame! The organS!! are great! and can be linked together to make a huge noise! well worth a visit next time your hacking round cathedrals, go there!
Was at St Davids for easter week and went to mass there on easter day and was a Gloucester for evensong. really looking forward to going back!
Cheers Jas!

Tom

OH YEH! by the way, i bought that priory CD with the Gillou Toccata on! John Scott-Whitely at York minster (great European organ no 41) came this morning! Is soooooooooooooo good!!! cheers!
diapason8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 30, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
diapason8 wrote:
ours.

Nigel:

At first I wasn't certain what you meant by "American attitude", but now I'm at least alerted to it. It's really a whole different world- and one that I'm not sure I really understand. Any more comments? I need to sleuth around the website to get more of a feel for what is going on.

Perhaps we need to open a new topic here: "The Latest from the Americans on The Organ Forum "?

I guess (sounding American) that the attirude is largely based around money, and the number of stops that money wll buy. Apart from a few, like Edward Odell, who are very conscious of their heritage, the general attitude seems to be, if it's old, then bin it.

Gadgets abound, and everyone seems to have space and cash to build huge extension pipe organs in their basements.

Just take it all with a pinch of salt, and enjoy it.

Nigel
stocky

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 8:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi all!

how are we? went to evensong at salisbury again today! cant keep away! sat in loft with organ scholar who is amazing! hes going to westminster abbey next september. cheers all!

Tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Tue Jul 04, 2006 10:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Tom,

So tell me- what was played and sung at Salisbury's CE? You mustn't leave us hanging like that! Hopefully you and our other cyber-friends will catch the BBC Evensong tomorrow.

Cheers!
Jason
stocky

PostPosted: Wed Jul 05, 2006 10:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Jason!!

Well, on saturday at the old choristers evensong, we sang clucas responses, stanford in C (groan), couple of psalms (i forget which), Brahms how lovely is thy dwelling place, and stanford te deum, with howells psalm prelude no2 set 2. really enjoyed myself! usually end up standing next to some old chap who is really not very good but stood next to the bass lay clerk this year who is such a great bloke! he thinks i can go all the way, as does halls! this is good!!!
so yesterday, dad was teaching (piano + organ) in salisbury so i always go to see friends, school, etc.... and went to evensong. sang howells westminster and some elgar piece that i didnt know, rejoice o land or somthing..... was typical elgar! i ended up in the loft with the organ scholar playing. he is very good! if a bit strange.... hes off to westminster abbey in september. Going to mass in gloucester on sunday (as i said in last post) and from what ive heard they are singing Langlais messe solenelle which is my favourite!!!! not sure what else is going down but i imagine Mr houssart will go ape with some hakim or Guillou hopefully!
let me know what youve all been up to! cheers,
Tom
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Hi Jason
I also admire Blessed be the God by Wesley but being a litte older than you (LOL!) I was intoduced to it by the marvellous old Argo recording made in 1964 by St.John's College, Cambridge under George Guest with Brian Runnett on organ. This was my first ever church music recording, and look what it contained....... the Walmisley Mag. and Nunc in D min, The Souls of the Righteous by James Nares, If We Believe that Jesus Died (Goss), Samuel Wesley's thrilling In Exitu Israel, and then three works by Samuel Sebastian Wesley...Blessed be the God, Thou wilt keep Him, and The Wilderness. What a stunning collection of favourites from 1770 -1860 and what a profound effect it had on me

I refer back to May 7th when I made these comments. I have just had another amazing occurrence. A guest reader of this Forum sent me the following private email:

"I read your eulogy of the old G Guest recording of victorian choral favourites with interest and not a little nostalgia. I sang treble in that and the other John's recordings of the early1960s e.g Stainers's Crucifixion. In fact that rather nervous sounding treble in the 'we remembering his mercy' solo verse bitin the Walmisley is an 11 year old me! You will have to take my word for this because such a small contribution is, quite rightly, not acknowledged by name on the record sleeve. I went on to Lancing after St John's so lofty chapels with good organs (a Walker at Lancing, now rebuilt and the old monster at St Johns with its Trompeta Real stop which used to be loud enough to wake the dead, now tamed a little by a Mander rebuild) and fine choral traditions are in my blood, as it were!"
Isn't that absolutely fantastic Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

I have emailed him back and have invited him to join us here for some lively chatter, and I see from the membership list that he has accepted this invitation. He has a lot he can offer, that's for sure.
Please join with me in welcoming Rodge to this Forum Very Happy

Cheers

Lance
stocky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey Lance!!

do invite him onto the forum! i would like to talk to him about his experiences at Lancing!! as i have said about a million times, im going to be with my bro there in september! cheers, Tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:
do invite him onto the forum! i would like to talk to him about his experiences at Lancing!! as i have said about a million times, im going to be with my bro there in september!

Tom,

I'll be following this exchange with interest. BTW, how many times do you estimate you've sung Stanford in C ?

Cheers!
Jason
stocky

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi Jason! probably, including my days in my dads parish choir from the age of 4-6 and then helping him out whenever im at home from school,roughly 250 times!!!!!!!!! how awful is that! cheers tom
Conrad Poohs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 1:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:
hi Jason! probably, including my days in my dads parish choir from the age of 4-6 and then helping him out whenever im at home from school,roughly 250 times!!!!!!!!! how awful is that! cheers tom

We just broke the news to a soon-to-be ex-colleague of mine who's about to retire from the Abbey that he's spent 61,000 on beer in the local pub in Westminster over his 30-year tenure! Makes you think, doesn't it?!

Conrad
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad Poohs wrote:
We just broke the news to a soon-to-be ex-colleague of mine who's about to retire from the Abbey that he's spent 61,000 on beer in the local pub in Westminster over his 30-year tenure! Makes you think, doesn't it?!

Perhaps, but that works out to 169.4 per month. I think I spent that much in one week in Brighton last May. (Albeit I was on holiday.) (And one visit to St. Bartholomew's will drive anyone to drink. Very Happy ) What was the local pub in Westminster? Must meet him there and exchange tall tales.

Cheers, Conrad!
Jason
stocky

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 8:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Conrad! and hey Jason!

Conrad: are you a member of the choir at the Abbey? I watched a service on the TV the other day from there, was a bit bizare! I have a friend called sam Hancock who was a choirster, he goes to Lancing college now. Please let me know all about life as a lay clerk! cheers, Tom

Jason: hey Jason! a very true comment about st Barts! and 170 on beer! im envious! but quite a feat! I may be up in London for several days before my birthday in August staying with my sister in Highgate, so will try and get to the abbey and st pauls. hoping to get contact with mr Archer to try out the organ! im not sure the abbey will be so easy.....
off to st Davids tomorow via Gloucester to the mass (langlais messe solenelle!!!) for a few days exploring the coast etc and attending a recital and playing the organ in the cathedral! really looking forward to it!
will post when i get back on thursday!! all the best mate!
Tom
Conrad Poohs

PostPosted: Sat Jul 08, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yep, I've been at the Abbey for about 7 years now - I remember Sam: I think he's the one whose diet consisted solely of hula-hoops and milkshake! Nice voice though, is he still singing?

When are you around London during August?

By the way, my real name's Ben!

All the best.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sun Jul 09, 2006 12:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Ben, aka Conrad!

That's interesting that you sing at the Abbey. I've just read Humphrey Clucas' book "Taking Stock - The First Sixty Years" where he tells a warts and all account of goings on at the Abbey in the time of Martin Neary. Shocked

It's a great read! It would seem that you arrived as Martin Baker took over as Deputy D.O.M. or just as at the end of Neary's tenure. Can I believe all I read in this book? Rolling Eyes

Lance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 19, 20, 21, 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 20 of 24

Jump to: