Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Tom and Jason's Church music Waffle!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
I go to as many organ recitals as I can. I am addicted to the thrilling sounds of the organ, including theatre organ.

I love theatre organ! We could sneak in some chit-chat about that when the administrator isn't looking. I'm always interested in learning about new theatre organ CDs. I'll bet Australia had some rip-roaring instruments back when...
stocky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

you should rock on down to the Bournemouth pavillion! i played it once! its where Whitlock used to play occasionally when he wasnt playing st pauls church in brnmth! there are some good CDs from the pav organ! have a browse! bws Tom
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 4:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone

Tom asked if I used BBC messageboard. No. I don't, but should I???
I clicked on the link but I didn't see anything related to Choral Evensong (which is all I currently listen to on BBC3)
With regard to your organ recital I'm not familiar with Fletcher's Toccata. I have his Festal Offertorium and Fountain Reverie on disc. Sounds like a great programme though, and I never tire of the Boellman, war horse that it is.
Jason, when I sang with Melbourne's best Anglican choir, we had our own book of chants, many of which were collected for the choir from Cathedrals and Churches in UK. So we had chants which were from Kings', the Abbey, The Temple Church etc. which were not in the public domain. None of these were banal! .......It was heaven on earth, I can tell you!! (One of our previous choral directors actually sang tenor in the Abbey choir for a few years, and he brought back a lot of the chants)

Lance Smile
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:
you should rock on down to the Bournemouth pavillion! i played it once! its where Whitlock used to play occasionally when he wasnt playing st pauls church in brnmth! there are some good CDs from the pav organ! have a browse! bws Tom

Morning, Tom.

Great news! I finally got connected up with BBC3 CE. (Had to download RealPlayer which works with a Mac.) The Gloucester CE is terrific... can't wait for King's CE coming up.

I knew about Whitlock's connection with Bournemouth: there's a great bio by Malcolm Riley: Percy Whitlock - Organist and Composer . However, I can't seem to find any recordings of the Pavilion organ. Can you advise further?

As for Percy Fletcher's wonderful toccata, check out Malcolm Archer at Wells Cathedral on Regent 202. What a party piece- well played and recorded. Also there's Archer's Suite for Organ which is well worth a listen!

Cheers,
Jason
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance...

Regarding theatre organ, I have a few American CDs of George Wright and Lyn Larson, but would like to explore more British based organ recordings. Any ideas for me to pursue? BTW, you've got to hear Lyn Larson's Christmas CD: his performance of Winter Wonderland has to be heard to be believed!
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:

Tom asked if I used BBC messageboard. No. I don't, but should I???

That depends. It's a very busy message board and some of the posters have a serious problem with attitude. Why don't you sleuth around and see if it's for you. I'd be curious what you think. I haven't posted in some time.

Cheers to you Lance.
Jason
stocky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey gang!
i played the fletcher toccata at wells last summer for the prep schools prize giving service in the cathedral! good fun but not half as fun as playing at salisbury!
ill look into where i can get CDs of the pavillion organ for you. i know they do sell them! was at a concert of sir johnny dankworth and some famous big band and that was great! but they do free lunchtime recitals on the pav organ every wednesday (i think!). il keep you informed! have a good day!
stocky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 7:29 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jason! got a link for you!

http://www.pavilionorganfund.org.uk/

thats about the organ but havnt got anything about recordings. if you click on other compton organs, the compton at st osmunds church in parkstone is one of the churches where my dad is director of music. fantastic instrument! but heres a link to my dads main church. 3 manual 70 stop harrison!

www.nigel.lloyd.dsl.pipex.com

have a browse! its vast and very very very very loud! all the best! TOm
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:08 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, you wrote
"Regarding theatre organ, I have a few American CDs of George Wright and Lyn Larson, but would like to explore more British based organ recordings. Any ideas for me to pursue?"

I realize this is not the forum to chat theatre organs so all I'll say is that as far as British based organ recordings are concerned, you need only go so far as the late Reginald Dixon, who was the master of the Blackpool Tower Ballroom Wurlitzer from 1930 to 1970. There are plenty of his recordings available.

Cheers

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From what I've read in this forum, I see I need to become aquainted with the Percy Fletcher Toccata. So I've just ordered a copy on line of the Malcolm Archer recording Jason mentioned, to be sent by airmail to Australia, meaning I should get it within a fortnight. Very Happy

Cheers

Lance
stocky

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 6:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good on you lance! its a great piece! good for either begining with a nice rip-roar piece or a good old fashioned exit! i think you will like it! all the best! tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 29, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom,

Thanks for the links. I noticed on the Pavilion website, there is a commemorative CD. Looks tasty! And thanks for the info and pictures of St. Osmunds. But even though your dad is director there, you say his main church is St. Peter's? I'm a little confused, though your dad is listed on that website.

Cheers- Jason
stocky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 30, 2006 12:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi jason! my dad is the main orgaist of a team ministry job so they encompass several churches! the compton st osmunds is rarely used at the moment as the church changed from a CoE to an orthodox church so they dont use the organ but my brother and I go and use it to keep it in trim! the organ at st peters (the webpage i gave you) is the one used the most and is fantastic!!! very useful to get my new pieces up and going in stead of using a crummy 2 manual tracker with no pistons! anyway, have a look for more recordings of the theatre organ as im sure there are a few knocking around! all the best Tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tom. Is your dad a bit of a role model? Has he helped you with your organ playing? You certainly seem to come from a very solid background. My dad left my mum for a younger woman when I was 10 and haven't heard much from him since. Fine by me.

Funny thing, my mum took me to my first live performance of The Dream of Gerontius around the time this whole shabby incident was first taking place. I'll never forget the impact it had on me. It changed my life.

I have subsequently heard live the other great choral works: Bach B minor, Beethoven Missa , but the Elgar will always reign supreme. To me there has never been a work that has hit me so squarely front-and-center. It is utterly glorious, a work of such magnificence that I cannot in good spirit claim otherwise to speak objectively.

Comments?
stocky

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 2:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason!

yeh ive always had my dad as a role model because he enjoys doing music so much, as do i! he got me into the organ at the early age of 5! but he had been teaching me and my bros the piano since we were 4. he teaches the suzuki method (look it up!) and we sang in his church choir and i always said i liked the organ so he let me play around. of course i couldnt play the pedals etc so i just made do making funny noises! when my bros and i got into Salisbury, i took up organ lessons, first from my piano teacher (organist at christchurch priory), my dad when i went home, and then after a couple of years from simon lole and david halls. My bro ewan, same age as me, is working towards his ARCO and FRCO so he is doing very well! next term im joining him at lancing college (famous chapel with 4 manual walker and 2 manual phrobenius linked together! good fun!) and hope to take my ar and fr there next year some time.
sorry about your parents. i must admit im not too familiure with Gerontius but i enjoy singing elgar! walton, jackson, langlais, vierne HOWELLS!!!! anything and everything!! same with organ.

hope all is well and hope to hear from you soon! all the best, Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 2 of 24

Jump to: