Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Tom and Jason's Church music Waffle!
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diapason8

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I sometimes think that my singing voice was what the Psalmist had in mind when he wrote about 'the owl that is in the desert' Shocked

I find it difficult to look at words on another page from the music, and tend to sing from memory. OK until we find that some PC idiot has re-written the words! I also find that, unless I know something very well, I tend to play the bass as a melody if I'm singing bass!

This is school half-term holiday week, so the kids are home. One starts her main run of exams when she gets back, and then finishes until starting sixth-form in the Autumn. So, it's going to be a busy week with them at home. This afternoon is the lull before the storm. The eldest is at work, the middle one visiting her father and the youngest competing in an athletics competition in Exeter- having been taken by her mother. So, I'm at home with the dog, and hope to get an hour on the Allen to practice some music before they get back.

I expect the younger members of the forum are playing cricket etc, hence the lull on here.

Have a good (what's left of the) weekend.

Regards,

Nigel
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diapason8 wrote:
The forum has been very quiet over the weekend!

We'll see about that! Just got back from holiday and was so pumped up about my adventures that I spent (it seemed) most of yesterday at St. Paul's. 10:15 Matins, 11:30 Eucharist and 15:15 Evensong. Will report later, I'm a bit slammed with non-musical matters at the moment. But suffice it to say, musically things are in good hands there!

Cheers from a more enthusiastic Anglican than ever Very Happy
Jason
diapason8

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 9:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to hear you're back, Jason. I'm out for most of today, so will be offline.

Regards,

Nigel
stocky

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 4:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon all! sorry the forum was so quiet! i was at a party all weekend so havnt had a chance to post! had founders day on sat morning where i was playing the the intro and switching with old man who played piano to play the hymns while i was in the choir then played Widor toccata. straight after that 10 mins to change and get to station for a 4 hour train to oxford. was in oxford for my girlfriends party and after 0 hours sleep on saturday night Wink i went to see a friend of mine in exeter college oxford and went to evensong there. was good fun! 5 hour train journey back to Poole on sunday afternoon!
Nigel, id love to apply but a) i dont think your priest would have me, b) i live too far away and c) i wouldnt be able to get there as im not getting a car till summer! but good luck finding someone. hope all is well chaps!
Tom
lancecornea

PostPosted: Mon May 29, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:

Nigel, id love to apply but a) i dont think your priest would have me, b) i live too far away and c) i wouldnt be able to get there as im not getting a car till summer!

Interesting quote this! From what you wrote about founder's day, your trip to Oxford, then off to Poole, it would seem travel, distance, and lack of car aren't really a problem..Ha Ha!
Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing Laughing

Have a good day Tom (and catch up some sleep!)

Cheers
Lance
diapason8

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 8:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:
then played Widor toccata. straight after that 10 mins to change and get to station for a 4 hour train to oxford. was in oxford for my girlfriends party and after 0 hours sleep on saturday night Wink i went to see a friend of mine in exeter college oxford and went to evensong there. was good fun! 5 hour train journey back to Poole on sunday afternoon!

O to be young again ............. Cool

Nigel
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 1:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
it would seem travel, distance, and lack of car aren't really a problem..

As long as the trains are running okay, lack of car isn't a problem. Last week from Great Malvern I got a 10:30 to Reading, a 13:34 to Gatwick, then a 14:56 to Brighton. By 16:00 I was ready for action! Brighton is quite the party town and I certainly took advantage.

Of more interest here, I finally got to see the interior of St. Michael and All Angels. Since it is so seldom open to the public I had to go to a high mass Friday morning. I was one of four to receive communion!

It is really two churches in one. There is the south aisle by G.F. Bodley dating from 1862, then a nave and north aisle by William Burges dating from 1895. It is all on a very grand (though not silly like St. Bartholomew) scale and really attests to the architectural and religious self confidence of Brighton's Victorian Anglo-Catholics.

Cheers
Jason
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Tue May 30, 2006 6:17 pm    Post subject: Music at St. Paul's Reply with quote

If it is of interest to anyone (of course it is Wink ), here is the music done at St. Paul's last Sunday.

Matins:
Easter Anthems - Parrat (great stuff!)
Psalm 76 - Nicholson
Te Deum in C - Stanford (Hats off to anyone who can set those verbose words and hold our attention.)
Jubilate - Walton
Miles Lane (final hymn) - Shrubsole.

Eucharist:
Mass setting - Stravinsky (This is a fine setting, yet I got the impression some people thought it too modern for their precious ears. Philistines! Evil or Very Mad )
Organ Voluntary - Durufle Toccata

Evensong:
Gonfalon Royal (hymn) - Percy Buck
Stanford in C
Alleluya! - Gowers (I hope everyone knows this. Incredible music.)
Evelyns (hymn) - Monk
Organ Voluntary - Archer Toccata (from Suite)

I left out some of the less interesting hymns or choral works. All in all, things are in terrific hands with Malcolm Archer in charge now. Before Evensong I snuck into the quire (actually a few others walked in and I just announced to one of the security people that I was too!) and was able to really study Archer's conducting technique. He is a supreme musician and I had not seen such a sense of joyous communication since James Lancelot at Durham a few years ago. I dearly hope Hyperion will continue to make recordings at St. Paul's.

Huw Williams, btw, is a superb organist and accompanist. Archer went into the organ loft after Evensong to play his brilliant (if conservatively French style) Toccata.

Edit: my sincere apologies to the more experienced members on this forum. The Gowers anthem is Viri Galilaei . (Not "Allleluya".) It was written for St. Paul's Cathedral in 1988 and I think one of the outstanding Anglican anthems of recent years.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 5:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I knew of the Gowers anthem but wasn't really familiar with it. So I've just had a listen to two recordings I have. The first was by St.Paul's Cathedral choir under John Scott (Hyperion, "English Anthem Vol2"), and the second was by the Choir of Trinity Church, Boston, (Dorian Recordings, "Radiant Light")which is an adult choir of 65 auditioned voluteers and seven professional singers who sing the services each week. Interesting comparison. I enjoyed both readings.The St.Paul's accoustic certainly influences the texture particularly of the first section of the work.In the less resonant accoustic of Trinity Church, the melodic lines are much clearer, as is the organ accompaniment. There are 20 basses in the Trinity Choir! , and this certainly helps the weight of choral sound here. The St.Paul's interpretation would no doubt be similar to how you heard it Jason. Andrew Lucas was the accompanist on my recording, Huw Williams didn't appear until Vol.7 of this series, but I'm sure Huw made the piece sparkle for you!
Incidentally, the Trinity Choir toured UK in 1997, giving concerts at Westminster Abbey, Salisbury Cathedral, St.Paul's Cathedral and New College Oxford. Did any of you happen to hear them?

Cheers
Smile
Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, was the Stravinsky Mass accompanied by organ or orchestra at St.Paul's? It's a marvellous work to sing although it must be all of 20 years since I performed it, and this was a concert performance with orchestra.

Lance Smile
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lance,

The Stravinsky was accompanied by organ. I have the John Scott recording of the Gowers (when that was made, presumably Huw Williams was still at Hereford?) and also a Griffin CD (#4023) with the combined cathedral choirs of Hereford, Worcester and Gloucester. Oddly enough it was recorded in Tewksbury Abbey (located in the diocese of Gloucester), yet one wonders why Tewksbury and not, say, Hereford. Acoustics at St. Paul's can be a problem, especially during the psalm chants, yet, since I was sitting in the quire -lucky me!- the Gowers didn't suffer from excess reverb.

BTW, I heard the rebuilt Hereford organ a few weeks ago and it sounds splendid.

Re Trinity Church, Boston, I have a very fine Christmas CD from there, but am otherwise unfamiliar with the Boston churches. Priory have a well recorded CD of the monster Aeolian-Skinner at the First Church of Christ, Scientist, but I don't think it equal to its counterparts at St. John the Divine in NY or Grace Cathedral in San Francisco. Any more information you have would be welcome.

Cheers,
Jason Very Happy
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 1:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason
There are two Christmas discs that I have from Trinity Church, Boston. One is Candlelight Carols (London 430 456-2) which has the usual "hackers" on it but also a lovely carol called "Sleeps Judea Fair" by Hugh MacKinnon. It also has "O Little Town of Bethlehem" to the Lewis Redner tune (the one you rarely hear in churches, more commonly in elevators and hotel lobbies)
The second one is A Choral Christmas (Dorian DOR 93240) and on this they reprise the Louis Redner O Little Town but with alternate verses to the Vaughan Williams Forest Green tune. This is the way our choir now like to perform this carol. Nothing quite like keeping the congregation guessing!
Bob Chilcott's marvellous Mid-Winter is also on this disc.
The Trinity Organs are a 1926 Ernest Skinner West Gallery instrument and a 1963 Aeolian-Skinner chancel organ, both playable from a single console in the apse. The organ specifications are here:
http://www.trinitychurchboston.org/music/organ-specs.pdf

The other disc I have (mentioned before) is Radiant Light: Songs for the Millennium (Dorian DOR 93191), a proramme of 20th Century gems like Franz Biebl "Ave Maria", Randall Thompson "Alleluia", Gowers "Viri Galilaei", the Pärt "Magnificat" and so many more pieces of this ilk.

My other favorite choir in USA is St.Thomas' Fifth Avenue. All of my recordings were made in Gerre Hancock's incumbency, and even then, the were as Anglican sounding as any English choir. Of course now that John Scott is there, the choir will raise itself to an even higher level!

Good to chat with you
Very Happy
Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lance,

Wonder what Tom and Nigel are up to.

The CD I have from Trinity is the Candlelight Carols . I love that CD and what a wonderful picture on the cover! The Radiant Light on Dorian looks very tasty indeed. Thank-you for bringing it to my attention.

I have several recordings from St. Thomas in NY. They are very fine. The latest is with John Scott, but I believe it is a Christmas CD so it's not currently a priority. Wink

Cheers
Jason
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 6:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="Jason Evans"]Hi Lance,

Wonder what Tom and Nigel are up to.

quote]

Rushing here and there with children Rolling Eyes Nothing but a free taxi service. Spent some time this morning looking at a modern Celtic Mass setting which the new parish are using. We're going off on Friday to a Church Away Weekend with the new parish in Wales. Won't have much time for exploration and will probably only get to play a piano or keyboard Sad

BTW I met Archer when he was at Wells. A superb musician, and a very approachable guy. He let me sit in on choir practice with a few of my choirkids and chatted to them afterwards. I'm using some of his hymn tunes which are in our new Mayhew book.

Must push on with housework! Mad

Nigel
stocky

PostPosted: Wed May 31, 2006 7:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hello chaps! sorry ive been playing cricket, going to parties, meeting friends and.. oh er some revision! Laughing im kinda lost on what this convo was on but just thought that id drop in and say that im still alive! anyone got any progress on having little pictures with each message? WBS Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 8, 9, 10 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 9 of 24

Jump to: