Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Tom and Jason's Church music Waffle!
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stocky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 27, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Tom and Jason's Church music Waffle! Reply with quote

Hi everyone! this is a thread set up by Jason and I where anyone can talk about anything at all! (as long as it is related to church music of course!). enjoy! Tom and Jason Laughing
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The latest! A new Regent CD from their English Cathedral Series . Rochester Cathedral. Have you visited?... well worth it if you have not.

Great stuff. The Dupre Ab is on there with his 2nd sym. Also Whitlock's Plymouth Suite . Durufle Suite in addition, though that hardly fills gaps in any moderate collection. Have you studied it?
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hopefully our friends Trevor and Nigel will be along to add to the mix... Very Happy

Edit: Lance also.

Last edited by Jason Evans on Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:20 am; edited 1 time in total
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 5:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a good idea! Most of the recent posts were well off topic, my own included.
By the way Jason, I wondered whether you had caught up with my answers to some of your questions at this thread?
http://www.churchmusic.org.uk/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=45

Cheers

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
What a good idea! Most of the recent posts were well off topic, my own included.
By the way Jason, I wondered whether you had caught up with my answers to some of your questions at this thread?

Cheers

Lance

Nuts... somehow the "Notify me when a reply is posted" was unchecked so I missed your posts. Need to rectify that... I know Tom and I are anxious for others to join us in this forum so I will try to be more vigilant in future.

Cannot reply specifically at the moment... need to head off to the Tube and into The City for work. Oh the glory of it all...

Cheers, Lance- and thank-you!
Jason
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good morning Tom!

Be certain to read Lance's posts- he's got something special to contribute here but I'll require your help.

Cheers... hope you have a great day. It is always wonderful for me when we can talk about what we love. Very Happy
stocky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 7:32 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

you too jason! have a good one! BWS!
stocky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 9:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi lance! i dont believe we have met? Very Happy nice to meet someone who is as interested in church music as Jason and I! what is your connection? i was a chorister at salisbury cathedral for 6 years and left in july 2003. best years of my life!!! i love all church music and organ music too! especially french.... i am working hard to get qualifications to become a director of music in a cathedral establishment! anyway, look forward to hearing from you! all the best, Tom
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stocky
My story is that I live in Melbourne and for 40 years have been a chorister with local churches and with choral societies. I am also a personal member of the RSCM, the Society of Organists (Victoria), and I subscribe to Organists Review from UK. I have a huge collection of vinyl recordings and CD's which is mostly church music, choral music or organ music. The collection is so extensive that I have to keep tabs on it using my computer databases (see another thread "Filing Music"). I have sung most of the standard repertoire, and also most of the major choral works. Funnily enough, with all that experience, I have yet to perform the Bach St.Matthew, and the Bach B Min Mass. I hope to do so before I meet my maker! I am not an organist although I do have one or two party pieces I can knock out. However I go to as many organ recitals as I can. I am addicted to the thrilling sounds of the organ, including theatre organ.
I listen to Choral Evensong each week on BBC3 via the Internet, and enjoy the opportunity to discuss / criticise the service with a few of my church music friends. Somewhere else in this forum, mention was made of last week's evensong from St.Thomas' Fifth Avenue. I too thought it was one of the best in a long time.
Looking forward to chatting further via this forum.

Lance
stocky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 4:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi lance! good day? i did a little organ recital at lunchtime in the school chapel for anyone who wanted to go. a bout 30 odd people so it wasnt a waste of time! do you use the bbc message boards? if so what is your name? BWS tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:
i did a little organ recital at lunchtime in the school chapel for anyone who wanted to go. a bout 30 odd people so it wasnt a waste of time!

What did you play?
stocky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

started with Matthias-Fanfare then the Boelman suite gothique (which was bloomin hard work with no thumb pistons/playing aids!) then bach prelude and fuge in Gmin followed by percy Fletcher festival toccata to finish. perfect for a little 40 min concert! not quite a capacity crowd but hey, its all music! going to my prep school at Salisbury Cathedral to do an opening recital on the new chapel organ there in september and hope to have some Dupre going then! how was your day?
BWS Tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:

Yes, Lance, I will be ordering a copy of the RSCM Chant book- I figured I had a dinosaur with the Anglican Chant Book . Your help was appreciated.

Still, one wonders where some of these chants are coming from. Last year I was at Sunday CE at Westminster Abbey and the chant the men and boys did (can't recall- I've misplaced the program) was unbelievably banal. This is, of course, not to say they didn't sing it superbly!
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:
started with Matthias-Fanfare then the Boelman suite gothique (which was bloomin hard work with no thumb pistons/playing aids!) then bach prelude and fuge in Gmin followed by percy Fletcher festival toccata to finish.

I love the Percy Fletcher toccata! Good on you for doing the Bach G minor- it's not done very often, but it's a pretty cool piece. I like Matthias' music- there's a nice CD on Nimbus of his organ music. Do you play his Toccata Giacosa ?

Nice day today. Cheers, Tom.
stocky

PostPosted: Fri Apr 28, 2006 6:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

i havnt played his toccata no, im relativly new to his music. quite enjoy it! hes the best welsh composer i think! Laughing do you work saturdays? or off to the abbey etc? got 5 lessons then cricket all PM followed by work then a chow down in the evening! the local take away gets a lot of money out of my boarding house on saturdays! bws Tom
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24  Next
Page 1 of 24

Jump to: