Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Johannus Opus 1105 External Speakers Help Needed Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobCharles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 21, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel,

Ive been surfing around and I found the Colston Hall and St Mary Redcliffe Organ Specifications have a look........

http://www.stmaryredcliffe.co.uk/Specification.htm

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=N03898#PhotoSection

Cheers

Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 22, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Both superb organs, and I hope you enjoy your visit. I played Redcliffe some years ago on a Somerset Association trip - that was in the days when Garth Benson was organist. I also used to go to recitals there in the early 70's. I vividly remember trips of 25 miles each way at night, on my moped! One of the best recitals I heard there was given by Lionel Rogg.

I've heard Colston Hall, but never played it. Carlo Curley used to give regular recitals there. Living so far away, I've not been there for years, but last heard it when a, music student from the University played for an hour whilst we waited for a graduation ceremony.

Let us know what you think after hearing (and hopefully trying) them.

Regards,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel,

How did Church go for you on Sunday? Over the last few days I havent been well, so I gave Church a miss, must have picked up an infection from somewhere.

With the 2 Organs I talked about I'm going on a triip with the Swansea Organ Association on May 20th and meeting with South East Wales Association as well which will be a lovely day for us all, I'm not sure what the 3rd Organ is thou Ile have too find that out on the next local meeting, I contacted Harrison and Harrison and they sending me the specs for the colston hall in more clearer detail.

Regards

Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 26, 2006 7:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

I had last Sunday 'off' and went to the Eucharist at the 'new' church. I've formally applied, and have been verbally accepted - just have to wait for a contract etc to be sorted out. So, if you are looking for a post in Somerset, there'll be one vacant soon! I'll probably start in mid-June.

I've been up there tonight, having an hour whilst my step-daughter was at Athletics training. The touch is very different to Curry and the overall sound too. I'll miss my 3-rank mixture and Trompette, but there are some nice strings and a very useful double diapason on the swell - sounds good played an octave higher.

Regards,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Tue May 02, 2006 10:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Morning Nigel

Sounds like you had a good time on Sunday, With our Church we do these 1 2 3 4 5th Sundays with a 5th Sunday being an Evesong Service but it cought us out there we where 8 turned up in the morning and realised it was a 5th Sunday (Evensong) so that was a bit of fun!

Also Makin Organs have updated theyre website too include "Speakers" on the main page, the ones they use for Johannus and Makins is there any way I could send a picture of my Church with the Johannus Organ too you ??

And a further update too, went too our Monthly Organ Recital Meeting at New Siloh Chapel in Swansea, a big 3 manual Conacher Organ Landaff Cathedral Assistant Organist David Thomas was playing - very good too.

For May 20th Also Anual Outing too Bristol - Visiting Colston Hall, and All Saints Church and Christ Church in Clifton they have their own websites very very nice Organs I shall enjoy the day.

Regards

Rob

Last edited by RobCharles on Wed May 03, 2006 6:53 pm; edited 1 time in total
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed May 03, 2006 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel and Rob:

Care to comment about the Elgar? (On the "waffle" thread?)
RobCharles

PostPosted: Thu May 04, 2006 11:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon Nigel care too comment on my last posting ??

Cheers

Rob
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobCharles wrote:
Afternoon Nigel care too comment on my last posting ??

I'm watching for it too! Smile
diapason8

PostPosted: Fri May 05, 2006 12:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Guys,

Have been busy with family committments for a few days, so have only been able to look in briefly to the forum.

I'd like to see a picture of the organ, Rob. I think you can attach a picture to a 'PM' (not Bliar!).

I've given in my notice to Curry 'Cathedral' this week, and will tell the choir tonight (if the rumour mill hasn't got there before me). So, if you are interested in a nice tracker 2-manual organ in Somerset .......... I'm leaving at the end of June.

It's a funny feeling, working out notice. Not really able to plan anything I think I'll play the Lefebure-Wely 'Sortie in Eb' at my last service.

I'll be going in to the 'new' church over the next few weeks to get the feel of things, and make some plans for starting a choir etc.

Hope you enjoy the Bristol trip, Rob. If you get the chance, look at Clifton (RC) Cathedral too. It's round the corner from All Saints. A nice sound for Bach, but less good for accompaniment of the liturgy.

Regards,

N
RobCharles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 13, 2006 9:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well this thread was going a bit quiet so I better tell of an update to this...

This Johannus Organ having internal speakers does struggle with a full church without a doubt but its not very often we get a full church only on those special occations on a Sunday when we have a service at this church every other week we have been in the high teens or a bit more which is very pleasing for the church, but of course i'm stuck on top of the sound here if the congreation numbers where very low in terms of that I would turn it down but this organ does have a switch support between internals or externals.

Now last Sunday when we had a service there another organ enthusiast who comes to my church had a go so I judged for myself what the sound is like in my oppinon all I was hearing half way (as its a medium sized church) was just the bass stops bounceing away and not much of the main organ, I stood right at the back of the church and I could hardly hear it.

The Churchwarden wants it "closed" and I'm like "What for"? he thinks its perfectly loud enough well thats not true, it my oppion the sound is not getting out at the back or as well as it should, they had talked about this on 2 occations the first time (I hadnt prepared nothing) so they were walking all over me like a matt) My Organ Enthusiast had a go and didnt quite get there, but over the past few months I divised 6 pages of information on this topic right from what External Speakers do the benifts of them and how the cost would be met,

They have however other important issues that needs doing first so I'm prepared to wait my chance to speak my mind

As far as I'm concrned this issue is still open.

Nigel what do you think of this?

Cheers

Rob
Andrew Butler
Resigned

PostPosted: Sat Sep 23, 2006 5:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diapason8 wrote:
Hi Rob, Sounds like you're busy! Here in the 'outback' of West Somerset there aren't many recitals. But, a nearby church are having their organ rebuilt and are planning something for, I think, May/June.

There are many very good organs in Bristol. I used to be up there a lot (my wife is a Bristolian), but we live rather a long way down now, and visit rarely. Colston Hall is good - if , you get the chance, look at the Cathedral, All Saints Clifton, St Mary Redcliffe, and, for a nice Romantic Willis, St Monica's Home on Clifton Downs. I played for a while at All Hallows, Easton in the east end of Bristol. A superb church with a small, but good, Haskins organ (a local Bristol builder). My friend plays at Holy Nativity, Knowle on a rather good Vowles 3-manual - super Tuba!

Glad you're sorted for Palm Sunday,

Regards,

Nigel

Missed this when it was first posted!

I used to live in Bristol, and know all the organs you mention apart from All Hallows, Easton. On paper (NPOR) the spec doesn't look much - is there really no principal-tone 4' on the swell?

I actually don't know Holy Nat either. The basis of the organ there came from Oakfield Rd Unitarian Church in Clifton, where it was replaced by a 2-man Daniel extension organ in the late '50's. I was organist at Oakfield Rd from 1969-1973 and again from 1983-1985 - by which time the Daniel had been replaced by a redundant Sweetland from Redfield Methodist!
Andrew Butler
Resigned

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Another query about All Hallows - NPOR survey says Blower: Electric on crank handle. What does that mean please......?
diapason8

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It must be seredipity. I've not visited the forum for a while due to pressures of other commitments: but, the evening I look in, I see a post about my old church of All Hallows, Easton.

It's a small organ, but, as it sits on a gallery on the north wall of the chancel ,it speals well into a very resonant building. There is, from memory, a very good mixture on the Swell, which, when used with the octave coupler, makes a very fine sound ! The blowing is electric, but the old hand-blowing mechanism is still in place (and working) It is a rotary crank, operated by a removable handle. A lovely church, superb acoustic, anglo-catholic tradition, and, as fas as I know, they need a regular organist.

Nigel
lancecornea

PostPosted: Mon Oct 09, 2006 9:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Nigel Very Happy
You've been away far too long!!!!
Welcome back to the forum. How are things going in your new parish?
Hope you can find time to tell us a bit about it.

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Tue Oct 10, 2006 3:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nigel! I'll second Lance in welcoming you back. Do tell us what you've been at...
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 4 of 19

Jump to: