Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Website recordings - copyright liability

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Tue Jul 25, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Website recordings - copyright liability Reply with quote

I'm a bass at Mellor Church, Cheshire. We've recently set up a website and would like to put a few recordings of the choir on it. Do you know who could tell me the ins and outs of copyright law for doing this?

Thanks,

Ceri Brown
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I would have thought that so long as the music has been bought rather than photocopied, and therefore royalties to the composer / owner / publisher of the work have been duly paid, then provided your web site does not receive a fee for people to listen to what you've recorded, and due acknowledgement made as to title and composer of the works, then it should be OK. This is only my personal opinion and I don't have any qualification to offer informed guidance.

This site may enlighten you, particularly section 9 where are listed some appropriate addresses.
http://www.copyrightservice.co.uk/copyright/p01_uk_copyright_law

Good luck, and if you go ahead, post your link to this forum so we can all have a listen Very Happy

Lance
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jul 26, 2006 10:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hmm, not sure about that. If you go to the Mechanical-Copyright Protection Society (MCPS) website they have extensive (and probably deliberately "heavy") advice.

Quote:
The Limited Availability Licensing Agreement allows the quick and efficient licensing of non-corporate audio and audio-visual productions that are of a non-commercial nature and that have a total manufacturing quantity of less than 500 copies. http://www.mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk/DocsRepository/4502/

Quote:
The Limited Online Exploitation Licence is intended for small scale online operations and covers the limited use of MCPS & PRS members’ musical works in the form of ‘streamed’ (play-only) 30 second clips and / or as audio-only ‘streamed’ programming on a website. http://www.mcps-prs-alliance.co.uk/DocsRepository/4044/

I suspect that if the composer is over 75 years dead then there is little problem, but if not you'd need to get a licence for your downloads.

John.
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Thu Jul 27, 2006 9:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Author's copyright lasts until death plus 70 years (not 75), or possibly actually until 1st Jan following the end of 70 years. The complication with music is that an edition of the music is also copyright of the publisher (for 25 years??), and I'm not sure how this affects the rights when you make a recording using a certain edition.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 6:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_Underdown wrote:
...I'm not sure how this affects the rights when you make a recording using a certain edition.

Well you might want to consult Hyperion Records. They would certainly have a few tart things to say about a "certain edition."
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 28, 2006 9:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was in the back of my mind.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Jul 29, 2006 3:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well, I've just had a look at "guest's" parish church web site and what do I hear?........Stanford Te Deum in B Flat. So he must be happy enough with the state of affairs over copyright Rolling Eyes

Lance
neilfreshwater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 12:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I was wondering the same. We recently recorded a Leighton evensong and I wondered if I can put these online to be downloaded?
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Neil

I have had a couple of private emails from the person who started this thread on copyright, and I suggested the two of you get in touch with each other to share any answers to achieve your common goal. Perhaps check your Inbox over the next few days.

Lance
neilfreshwater

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great Lance.

Many thanks indeed.

Neil
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: