Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Hymn Suggestions for Sun 2nd July

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobCharles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Hymn Suggestions for Sun 2nd July Reply with quote

Can anyone help me me out for Mission Praise Numbers (Rscm related) please? Need 5 Hymns for tomorows service!

thanks

Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Sat Jul 01, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Don't have MP, but would suggest some general, after Trinity hymns. I don't know what service it is, or your tradition, but, how about:

Christ Triumphant to start - a good strong tune (Guiting Power)
Gradual - if it's a Eucharist - something contemplative - what about 'Be still'
Offertory - a longish, strong hymn - 'Alleluia, sing to Jesus' to Hyfrydol, a good Welsh tune.
Communion - if it is -Sweet Sacrament divine'
Post-Communion - another strong one to send them out happy -Ye holy angels bright (as it was the feast of St Peter & St Paul on Thursday last)

Just some suggestions

Regards,

Nigel
eagles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diapason8 wrote:

Gradual - if it's a Eucharist - something contemplative - what about 'Be still'

I've always loved the simplicity of this one, if it's the one I think it is. It lends itself to acapella and close impromptu harmony (imho anyway). But I love small group harmonies anyway Smile

diapason8 wrote:

Offertory - a longish, strong hymn - 'Alleluia, sing to Jesus' to Hyfrydol, a good Welsh tune.

Hyfrydol with any words - English or Welsh - is really great. Mind you I am biassed, as I think there was never an original Welsh hymn tune that wasn't great.

After all it's only the "Land of Song" that could create a Male Voice Choir item about a "Little Saucepan" (Sospan Fach), isn't it? lolol

diapason8 wrote:

Post-Communion - another strong one to send them out happy -Ye holy angels bright (as it was the feast of St Peter & St Paul on Thursday last)

Gee it would be years since I sang or heard that one. Mind you we do have a good even mix of hymns with what we call "chorusses" (pedantically I suppose I should write chorus' Very Happy )

Now a request from me, maybe I should do it as another thread.

I'm wondering if anyone has a recording of just the organ (accompaniment) for "And as Moses Lifted up the Serpent" and "God So Loved the World" from Sir John Stainer's Crucifixion?.

I have the sheet music, but we don't have an organ in our very small congergation, just a piano, and my pastor has asked me to present this as a solo item (which is easily done with a two semitone transposition to suit my voice).

It doesn't sound right with a paino imho

I don't need it transposed, though; I can do that electronically.

And Nigel I love your signature in dog-Latin; reminds me of when I was in the RAF Smile ... per ardua ad asbestos I think was another one of them. Certainly the b******s grinding us down was quite appropriate Smile

Richard in Australia

Linux User 416434
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:12 am    Post subject: Re: Hymn Suggestions for Sun 2nd July Reply with quote

RobCharles wrote:
Can anyone help me me out for Mission Praise Numbers (Rscm related) please? Need 5 Hymns for tomorows service!

Rob,

How did your service go? And did you ever locate the Gordon Young?

Cheers,
Jason
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

eagles wrote:
Hyfrydol with any words - English or Welsh - is really great. Mind you I am biassed, as I think there was never an original Welsh hymn tune that wasn't great.

You're not biased at all: just spot on! And for another great Welsh tune you can add Ar Hyd y Nos. A particular favourite of mine. There is a hymn thread on The Organ Forum -which Nigel has contributed to- and I totally forgot to mention this one.

Cheers Richard, thanks for your great post.

Jason
diapason8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good afternoon, one and all,

Firstly, Rob, how did your service go today - were any of those suggestions of any use?

And Richard,

Thanks for your post. Glad you liked Hyfrydol (or Hydrofoil as the choir call it Rolling Eyes )

I've got recordings of a choir singing the Stainer, but not of just the accompaniment. Would it be possible for you to record it on a local organ - using Minidisc or similar, and play that back through a sound system? Or, possible, is a 'backing track' available off the net? May be worth 'Googling' it.

Good luck,

Nigel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: