Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Choral Evensong BBC 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diapason8

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 7:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

FMurton wrote:
There is also a one about singing psalms with different pointing styles...very good

That's a new one for me - sounds interesting. And welcome to the forum.

Nigel
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 2:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be curious to read the comments after the latest BBC3 Choral Evensong. It starts in a few minutes.
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Wed Jun 21, 2006 3:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
I'll be curious to read the comments after the latest BBC3 Choral Evensong. It starts in a few minutes.

It's certainly different! I assume they've got a jazz organ in specially and that's not what's in general use...
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Jun 23, 2006 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No comments on the recent CE. Lance... Nigel... Tom... is this a case of apoplexy? It wasn't that bad was it? Or maybe you're all on holiday... that's it.

Well, the CE not my style, but I rather enjoyed the canticle setting. Next week at Westminster Cathedral we come full circle. Cerebral in the extreme.

Cheers,
Jason Shocked
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Jun 24, 2006 1:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi everyone. Just back from a week's holiday Very Happy

I've just listened to The Oxford Blues CE, and I must agree with Jason that the canticles were enjoyable, as also was the Our Father, but I didn't think much of the Psalm. Interesting way to do the 3 Collects!
The short sermon helped my understanding of the concept, and I suppose there's a place for this type of worship somewhere. Just not really my cup of tea. Confused

Cheers

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm not very au fait with the service of Vespers, but this week's CE from Westminster Cathedral is certainly worth hearing if only for the quality of the choir. This is the first time I've heard them since James O'Donnell left, and I must say, their standard is still as good as ever.

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Jun 29, 2006 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
I'm not very au fait with the service of Vespers, but this week's CE from Westminster Cathedral is certainly worth hearing if only for the quality of the choir. This is the first time I've heard them since James O'Donnell left, and I must say, their standard is still as good as ever.

Beautifully said Lance. Cf my post on the waffle which partly should have been posted here. I've heard O'Donnell numerous times at the Abbey (both CE and Sunday morning) and the standards are excellent. To say that the standards at his former cathedral are "as good as ever" is a high compliment!

Glad you enjoyed the CE! More traditional fare next week.

Cheers,
Jason
eagles

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 11:59 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

diapason8 wrote:

But Jason, you're too young to remember the setting of the Highway Code to Anglican chant, recorded in the 70's (?) by The Barron Knights. Evil or Very Mad

He may be, but I do remember that from when I lived in the UK a hundred years (or so) ago, lol.

Jason Evans wrote:
I was speaking with an older friend of mine and he remembers The Highway Code and Weather Forecast. Said he'd try to locate some of the recordings. They sound like fun!

I wouild be happy to create mp3s or oggs of those recordings if they could come my way. I would even be happy (within limits) to host downloads of odds and sods for the forum over here.

Talking of the Highway Code, am I really showing my age now, I wonder.

Just after WWII aged 10, and perhaps produced pre WWII, Fougasse and McCulloch produced a printed parody of the "Highway Code" called "You have been Warned".

I remember the illustrations of semaphore arm turning indicators showing "I am turning left", "I am turning right" and...

" I am going to have it put right tomorrow "

Can you guess what that illustration was of?

Anyone remember those semaphone arm turning indicators?

The French had them I remeber in the late 40s too - but theirs were even more interesting. The arms swung up and down to attract attention, and the lights inside flashed!!!

Oh well.

Richard in Australia

Linux User 416434
diapason8

PostPosted: Sun Jul 02, 2006 1:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm too old to learn about 'metrification' Evil or Very Mad I wouldn't recognize a 'kilometer' if I tripped over it, and, as far as I'm concerned, CMS will always stand for Church Missionary Society.

Nigel
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Jul 06, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

OK...What did you all think of St.Edmundsbury choral evensong?

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 5:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance,

Finally got the chance to hear the latest CE. Hope others have heard it too.

First of all, may I say that anyone who has not yet seen the newly completed tower at the cathedral should definitely give it a look. Splendid.

I enjoyed the CE very much. The Bingham will hopefully turn up again (on a recording perhaps?) and of course the Smith Responses are always welcome. The Sumsion anthem They that go down to the sea is a particular favourite of mine. It was sung beautifully.

Dyson in D is another favourite, but I had mixed feelings about that. The Magnificat started out in a very genteel manner, yet it never generated enough momentum in the big build-up to meet the climax (one of almost Wagnerian intensity) head-on. Rather frustrating. The Nunc dimittis, however, had that rapt contemplation that seemed perfectly judged.

Any comments? Cheers,
Jason

Edited for typos that didn't appear until I posted. John should check the software for gremlins. Laughing
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 9:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason

Your astute comments are always appreciated.
I was surprised by the Bingham, only by the fact it sounded a bit grandiose as an introit. But it was certainly enjoyable, and I too await a recording of it. I was also very taken with their psalms, a couple of chants there were new to me. Fair comment on the Dyson, and the Sumsion.

I have never been to St.Edmundsbury. Tell us more about the tower!

By the way, no-one has passed any comment yet about the chanting of The Highway Code and Weather Forecast, which I posted in another thread last Monday. Have you listened yet Question Wink

Have a good weekend!

Lance
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 10:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance,

Take a look at http://www.stedscathedral.co.uk/800.htm and http://www.bbc.co.uk/suffolk/faith/st_edmundsbury_cathedral/index.shtml (Google will find you plenty more). In addition to the tower there are new cloisters and transept under construction, all blending in well with the existing building (already extended several times, started off as a parish church within the precint of the gigantic abbey, and only raised to Cathedral status within the past century or so).

Peterborough Chamber Choir sang there as visiting choir on the weekend of Passion Sunday this year. Very friendly place, and considering there is no choir school, and someone over on the BBC boards has mentioned that the men are volunteers as well, they have a strong musical tradition, with 5 different choral groups running ( http://www.stedscathedral.co.uk/510.htm ). However, the organ is apparently on its last legs, and they are having major fundraising for a rebuild at the moment.

Beautiful town as well, and not so homogenised as many UK towns are unfortunatley becoming.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

David

Fascinating stuff, and this weekend I shall try to listen to the audio link on the building of the tower.
Thanks for your help Very Happy

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Jul 07, 2006 4:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was at the cathedral in May, this was the view looking toward the north transept from the quire. Sorry the picture is so big!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 3 of 17

Jump to: