Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Choral Evensong BBC 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 6:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Finally listened to Exeter Cathedral CE. Spendid. Gotta run... shower and a spot of breakfast, then off to work.

Cheers all... Nigel, Lance, Tom and Rob- keep those posts coming. I love reading them. But this is no exclusive club. Others should join us... just head over to the waffle.

Jason.
stocky

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 7:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Will Do Jason!! Very Happy
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 08, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Exeter Cathedral Choir can come and sing in my local church any time they like! Laughing
I thought Evensong was superb, and Paul Morgan was splendid on the Willis / H&H organ.
Very Happy
Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 8:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did any of you listen to Clare College CE this week? What did you think?
Nice to have the Howells (Worcester) setting, and the Elgar is always worth an airing. Very Happy
I hadn't heard the Henry Smart chant since Dudley Moore parodied it during his "Derek and Clive" days. (Anyone else remember this??) Twisted Evil
Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 4:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What an enjoyable CE! One measure into the Howells and his fingerprints are unmistakable. (His DNA pervades all his canticle settings Very Happy ) The Elgar and Parry were wonderful.

I rather enjoyed the chant. Never heard of the Dudley Moore parody. Tell us more Lance?

Cheers
Jason
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Jun 15, 2006 10:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:

I rather enjoyed the chant. Never heard of the Dudley Moore parody. Tell us more, Lance

In respect of the dignified and intellectual chatter that goes on in this Forum, I would be loath to write out the words of the chant. I don't want to get kicked off the board! Embarassed
Therefore go to your private email Jason, for a sample.

Nudge nudge, wink wink! Wink

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 5:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Jason Evans wrote:

I rather enjoyed the chant. Never heard of the Dudley Moore parody. Tell us more, Lance

In respect of the dignified and intellectual chatter that goes on in this Forum, I would be loath to write out the words of the chant. I don't want to get kicked off the board! Embarassed
Therefore go to your private email Jason, for a sample.

Thank-you, Lance. I did just that. Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil Twisted Evil

Oh dear. Call me a prig or whatever. Let's just not post those words on this forum. Am I too young to get the humour?

Typical of this stuff was Evensong at St. Paul's on 28 May. I followed three older gentlemen into the quire for Evensong. (I basically just told one of the attendants I would no longer sit in the nave.) En route I found out that two of them were from the Boston diocese and one of them was from the Toronto diocese.

Well, as luck would have it, the psalm (set by Stanford) was 147 with the infamous words He hath no pleasure in the strength of an horse: neither delighteth he in any man's legs. They just giggled and of course gave the whole show away. I cringed. What a sophomoric sense of humour they had. And frankly it seemed so typical of the mindset American and Candadian Episcopals descend into so preditably. The term organ queen or sacristy rat must certainly be a North American invention.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 6:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I suppose it was inevitable that with Dudley Moore's background as an Organ scholar at Magdalen, and then with his propensity for pushing the "establishment" to the limits, that he could use Anglican chant as a vehicle for his humour. Twisted Evil

Anyway, moving right along...............

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 10:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
I suppose it was inevitable that with Dudley Moore's background as an Organ scholar at Magdalen...

Ah, I forgot about that... Now it all makes more sense! Embarassed
diapason8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've often ' misquoted ' the line 'put not thy trust in Princes, nor in any child of man:as there is no help in them' as 'put not thy trust in Politicians ........' Twisted Evil

But Jason, you're too young to remember the setting of the Highway Code to Anglican chant, recorded in the 70's (?) by The Barron Knights. Evil or Very Mad

And I may have mentioned before on the forum, my friend, when Head Chorister at LLandaff, sang 'I look from a car ' (instead of 'from afar') in the Palestrina Matin Responsory........... in a BBC live broadcast! Very Happy

Nigel
diapason8

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 11:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

And doesn't your choir ever sing the last line of 'Gabriel's Message' (massage) as 'Most highly flavoured gravy' ? Evil or Very Mad

Nigel
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Jun 16, 2006 9:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Not only was The Highway Code set to Anglican Chant, but also The Weather Forecast, possibly by the same singing group. Now there is good clean humour. I have copies of the words to both of these which I'll post at a later date.

Have a good day

Lance
diapason8

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 7:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Over here, BBC Radio did something similar when they radio frequencies changed a few years back. I had that written out but have lost it. I'va also lost one I wrote for the organ restorarion appeal concert. The choir sang it and it brought the house down! Twisted Evil

Am off now for most of the day, taking my youngest step-daughter to see her boarding house at her new school.

Have a good day - and hope the heatwave doesn't put the tuning out too much .......... I'm dreading Curry tomorrow in that respect. Traffic will also be difficult as Elton John is giving a concert at the County Ground. I may decide to cycle - a round trip of about 30 miles with a load of books and robes!

Nigel
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Jun 17, 2006 4:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Lance and Nigel,

I was speaking with an older friend of mine and he remembers The Highway Code and Weather Forecast. Said he'd try to locate some of the recordings. They sound like fun!

Cheers
Jason
FMurton

PostPosted: Tue Jun 20, 2006 3:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There is also a one about singing psalms with different pointing styles...very good
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 2 of 17

Jump to: