Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Music and Liturgy Careers

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Superbock

PostPosted: Sat Jan 10, 2004 11:48 pm    Post subject: Music and Liturgy Careers Reply with quote

Hi Everyone!

I am a university student and am just completing a masters degree on liturgical music. I desperately want to work for the church or a related organisation in some capacity invoving liturgical planning/ liturgical music planning, but in the UK, unlike the states, the church does not appear to take such a role seriously. I can't find any job adverts at all where full time work in this general area is offered. Does anyone have any suggestions of where I can look on the net or who I can contact? What sort of careeers are open to me??!

Happy New Year to you all!

Wink
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed Jan 28, 2004 5:14 pm    Post subject: Re: Music and Liturgy Careers Reply with quote

I think you'll find most liturgical "planning" is done by the Director of Music and "lay" advice is not welcome.
Superbock

PostPosted: Sat Feb 28, 2004 6:36 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well you see this is my point. Surely an informed academic viewpoint would be welcome, if mechanisms were in place for such advice to be offered. Music that is chosen by just one person is unlikely, surely, to achieve the desired effect, and there are so many musicians and clergy in parishes who are not as liturgically aware as they might be. Some parishes are really struggling to keep music alive and there is very little practical support available for them. There is also the danger that things become "automatic", and a breath of fresh air from outside can often work wonders. If the Church does not take parish worship planning seriously, and thereby provide for the provision of of musicians' and liturgists' expertise then worship will continue, in many places, to be 'dire', as the Bishop of Salisbury has recently observed it to be. We cannot have it both ways.
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue Mar 09, 2004 10:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think you'll find that in smaller establishments were advice is needed money is too tight even to fully fund a Director of Music. Larger churches and Cathedrals are where you'd need to investigate. However, I would be very surprised if a paid post were to be found.
The church in the UK is both parochial and poor, due to a pitiful contribution by its parishioners. Many US churches (let alone cathedrals) apparently can afford to pay a Director of Music and assistants full-time.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: