Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Best organ recitalist around?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 6:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey welcome back, stocky! You were missed... and you are the first person I've run into that likes the Gloucester organ. Good on ya...
I'll echo Trevor in wishing you the best with the organ scholarship and, alas, I'll have to also echo him re the Gloucester organ.
admin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 1:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Certainly Nigel Potts is excellent although very full of himself. Don't ask him to conduct, just play the organ. Check him out at www.nigelpotts.com
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

disgruntled wrote:
Certainly Nigel Potts is excellent although very full of himself. Don't ask him to conduct, just play the organ. Check him out at www.nigelpotts.com

I did. Is there an axe to grind Wink or is there something I'm not getting? The name is not familiar to me. Being the polite young man I am, perhaps I won't comment on his picture. But perhaps it does convey a certain... by all means.
stocky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 11:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers for the encouragement guys! i can understand why you dont approve of the French style sound in an english cathedral but when Mr Houssart decided to play Naji Hakims ode to stravinsky it sounded fantastic!!! but id just like to say that IF i get the organ scholarship there then im sure i could arrange a visit up to the organ loft and maybe getting the chance to play it might change your oppinions.? anyway nice to have a bit of contraversy now and again! all the best chaps!

P.S. does anyone have a recording of the Hakim ode to Stravinsky that i could borrow/buy etc? cheers!

Tom Very Happy
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:
... does anyone have a recording of the Hakim ode to Stravinsky that i could borrow/buy etc?

You'll find it on an out of print Priory CD: catalogue #327. The composer is playing at Sacre-Coeur in Paris. Fine instrument! It's still listed on Priory's website for 17.00.

http://www.priory.org.uk/

Cheers and good luck, Tom.
Jason
stocky

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 5:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers jason! just placed the order! are you a fan of Nakim? all the best, Tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 6:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, I admire both his playing and his compositions. Check out Pange Lingua (oops- might be out of print) on an old EMI CD. He's playing at Messiaen's former church.
stocky

PostPosted: Sun Apr 23, 2006 10:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jason! good weekend?
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, Tom... it was a great weekend. Hope yours was the same.

The hilite was Sunday CE at Westminster Abbey. They did Leighton's Magdalene Service , a particular favourite. In general I love Leighton's liturgical music, though when he ventures outside of the church, his music tends to be (or is exposed as) rather derivative. (cf. some of his piano and chamber music.)

So tell me what were you up to? If you're reading other topics in this forum, then you will know that the "heavy hitters" had their say about Anglican liturgy. Can't take them on, but the dialogue is of much interest. I may need to regroup... Smile ... or at least give them the courtesy of a reply. Very Happy Who knows- stakes are rather high? Wink

Cheers,
Jason.
stocky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 10:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jason! busy weekend for me! lessons saturday morning followed by a local rival cricket match against sherborne all afternoon then had to play for town church service on sunday and then another cricket match against the MCC (whoever they are!). won both of the matches and eucharist went well too so not a bad weekend but didnt find time to do some much needed revision! the dreaded GCSEs coming soon of course! well i love the leighton mag and nunc! its brilliant. im going to sing a concert at my new senior school in 2 weeks and we are doing the leighton 'let all the world' which is a great piece! the same usual complex cross rhythms, spikey organ chords etc so should be fun although i have to sight read the bass part as i cant make the afternoon rehersals! should be interseting..... all the best! tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 2:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey, Tom- Leighton's Let all the world is indeed a great piece.

You must have visited Sherborne Abbey- quite a sight isn't it? I believe CE is done once a week on Sunday. When I visited a few years ago, the organ was down for a rebuild. There was an enormous electric console in the north transept below the pipes. Is the work now finished?

Cheers & good luck sightreading that bass part- I don't envy you!
Jason
stocky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

cheers! yeh sherborne is great! going to do an organ course there in the summer for a week which should be good! if you want to hear the leighton go on

www.hyperion-records.co.uk/artist_page.asp?name=scott

it is john scotts profle page. it has recordings done by st pauls! have a listen! thats how im learning it! just listen a few times i should pick it up.

all the best! tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 3:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have that recording! Also King's College have done it on a CD called English Anthems . Don't know if it is still available.

Speaking of John Scott, I'm going to be following his work at St. Thomas with interest. It is a very wealthy church and I imagine he'll do wonders with one of the few full time men and boy choirs in the States.
stocky

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

mate! did you hear choral evensong there the other day on radio 3? if not i urge you to listen to it! and especially the organ volutary. it was great!
i have a friend who is at winchester college and they went out to NY to tour and went with the winchester cathedral quiristers and they sang evensong there. apparently its great! well i thought the choir sounded great. have a listen if you have time. all the best! PS what is your BBC identity?
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Mon Apr 24, 2006 5:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, thanks for the info. My BBC identity is akaGerontius, but I haven't posted in a while. Just haven't had the time or inclination to sleuth around the discussion board...

Cheers!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 3 of 4

Jump to: