Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

INFO ON L. J. WHITE? ON PARRY'S ELEGY? ON "MELODY"

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
nwaller

PostPosted: Sat Feb 08, 2003 4:23 pm    Post subject: INFO ON L. J. WHITE? ON PARRY'S ELEGY? ON "MELODY" Reply with quote

Have stumbled upon the site for the first time and thought I would try several queries on you that have been hanging around on my hard drive since before they existed. Trivia, admittedly, but I'd like to know:

Who was L.J. White, composer of the lovely "A Prayer of St. Richard of Chichester" for SA? What else did he do or write?

Does anybody know how Parry's Elegy for organ came to be written, and what the date at the top of the page means?

Has anybody seen a piece I learned as very young organist circa 1964, called "Melody"? I'm pretty sure it was a Novello or Stainer & Bell edn or something -- familiar pastel-colored cover with illustration of stained glass or something. Can't remember hte composer for the life of me. Starts out"

[quarter rest] e g G#* a c d e f f# g* a b*

the first note is high, the 2nd is just below it, the others all rise up in succession. All are the same value except the starred notes are double this, a slightly syncopated effect.

For that matter I'm also itching to know more about obscure Welsh composer T. Hopkin Evans, if any info exists.

And I'm also always on the lookout for people in church life who oppose the blight of "political correctness" inside the church and out. As far as I'm concerned it's destroying everything and at the rate we're going the church will have great organs and harpsichords 50 years from now, just no recognizable Christianity or Christians in them. Comments? Ideas?

Thank you!

/\/.\/\/.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: