Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Johannus Opus 1105 External Speakers Help Needed Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diapason8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:17 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I used to choose all the hymns at my last church, but at Curry the Vicar does it. I plan special services, like yesterday evening, and choose anthems etc. I've looked briefly at Oremus, but never used it.

I'm going to look at the organ in the church where I've been invited to apply for the post this afternoon.

Regards,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 2:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel

First of all let me know how you get on at that Church, and tell me what organ it is.

In the past the old rector used too choose the hymns, or sometimes we used too share ideas, now with the new rector that I have, he's easy going and lets me choose the hymns, which gives me good experience on doing so

Cheers

Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

The church which I am considering applying for is on the outskirts of Taunton. The parish is rural/suburban and has a primary school. There are more young families than in my present parish, and a number of instrumentalists from the secondary school are already keen to become involved in the music.

There is no choir at present, but interest in starting one. The vicar is very supportive.

The parish use two hymn books - A&M New Standard and Mayhew's 'New Hymns and Worship Songs'.

The organ is a 2-manual & pedal built by Thomas Robson after the partnership with Benjamin Flight folded, but using some Flight & Robson pipework (1830's ?). It was added to by a local builder, Knight, around the turn of the century, and rebuilt by Osmonds of Taunton in 1970, when some pipework was moved around, 3 'new'stops added, and a Sexquieltera unfortunately removed from the Great (some of the pipework was re-used elsewhere in the organ). It sounds nice, but I would miss my 3-rank mixture and French Trompette which I have at Curry!

There's also a Korg electric piano.

The church was re-ordered about 15 years ago, and the pews in the central nave have been removed, leaving a very flexible space. There are no choirstalls, but several places for a choir to sit depending on the form of the service and what we were singing.

I'm going to play there for a service on the 23rd, and probably make a final decision then. I think the main factor will be that it's only 4.5 miles from home on a straight 5 minute run, whilst Curry is 12.5 miles each way) and takes me 30-45 minutes depending on the traffic.

So, I'm thinking about it and planning some tentative concerts, visiting choirs, workshops etc.

Regards,

Nigel
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diapason8 wrote:
Mass this morning was OK musically, but the congregation and choir were very thin (in number, rather than in girth!). I played Mendelssohn's 'War March of the Priests' afterwards.

Thanks, Nigel- I needed a good laugh. Don't apologize for playing tanscriptions. Wink
diapason8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 8:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you want another laugh: Some time ago I had a vicar who was a 'character'. At a harvest service he announced the anthem (Maunder's 'Praise the Lord, O Jerusalem') as 'a bit of Victorian tosh that the organist likes'.

As he came back to his stall, I whispered 'I'll get you for that later' and played him out to the 'Dead March' from 'Saul'

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 9:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel sounds like you had a good time at that Church, as I see with Jason we all have fun in Church, I enjoy it myself telling a few jokes it has them in stiches!!

Was sorting out some old organ music the other day which someone had given me and I found "Crown Imperial" one of my favourate Organ peices you abviously heard of it?

Cheers

Rob
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 1:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobCharles wrote:
Hi Nigel sounds like you had a good time at that Church, as I see with Jason we all have fun in Church, I enjoy it myself telling a few jokes it has them in stiches!!

Was sorting out some old organ music the other day which someone had given me and I found "Crown Imperial" one of my favourite Organ peices you abviously heard of it?

Cheers

Rob

Stiches? , my friend have I got a few stories... lol...
Crown Imperial works beautifully on the organ. Check out Robert Gower's splendid recording at Hereford Cathedral. (Priory 591.) But of course I'm not biased am I? Whilst waiting for CE at Hereford several years ago, you would not have believed the ambience in there when the late afternoon sun made its delectable appearance. Pure magic... as is that cathedral. It is my favourite. IMHO of course. Wink

Edit: the Elgarian associations might not have anything to do with this?
RobCharles

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 4:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel,

How was the Holly Week Period for you?

It went well - did you have the hymn "Where you there"? We had that on Friday morning they abviously don't know how too sing it! when it came too the Oh Oh Oh Some Times.... They were well ahead of me at about 8 beats! I was looking at them thinking "What the hell are you doing keep in time with me"!

Hope all is well

Cheers

Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 15, 2006 8:52 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Holy Week has been very busy, with services most days. I have just got home after the Easter Vigil: plenty of smells, bells and candles, with a bonfire as well.

Mass tomorrow morning - with a new setting (Anderson Gloria, & Inwood Gathering Mass) and Choral Evensong (with a simple Geoffrey Shaw plainsong Mag & Nunc). Karg-Elert 'Nun Danket' after Mass and (probably) Bach D minor after Evensong.

Hope your servies go well.

Regards,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 6:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel

Hope you had a good day,

I had a good day as well, with all the popular hymns for Easter, and had an Evensong service as well

Cheers

Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 7:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Just home and absolutely exhausted! I've driven 200+ miles to and from church this last week, that's over 8 hours in the car, as most of the journey is through town. I've played for 8 services, and, except for this morning (85) and last Sunday morning, the congregations were thin: tonight we had 3 in the choir, 2 in the cong (+ another 2 who came in during the Nunc), myself and the Vicar.

Have got no choir practice this week, and next Sunday off - to visit the potential new church amongst other things.

So, after a coffee, the ironing awaits!

Regards,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 9:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel

Had a good day there was a good crowd in the morning, I was on the Conacher Organ! Hymns were;

Christ the Lord is Risen Today,
Jesus is Lord,
My Song is Love Unknown,
Allelua Alleula Give thanks too the risen lord,
Thine be the Glory

Tonight there was 13 in the Evensong service

Hymns where

Christ is the one who calls (Love unknown)
Where you there when they crucified.....
On A Hill Far Away
Who is on the Lords Side (Rachie)

Sounds as if you had a very busy day, Roll on Next Sunday in Church!

Cheers

Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Mon Apr 17, 2006 7:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

We were more traditional. Before Mass I played the Buxtehude Toccata & Fugue in F, & John Bertalot's 'Christ the Lord is Risen'. We used a new Mass setting, the Anderson Gloria & Paul Inwood's 'Gathering Mass. The hymns were:
Jesus Christ is risen today(Easter Hymn)
At the Lamb's High Feast we sing (Salzburg)
This Joyful Eastertide
Thine be the glory (Maccabeus)
The choir sang 'Now the green blade riseth' during the Communion.
At the end I played the Karg-Elert 'Nun danket'. Various other improvisations during the service.

Before Evensong I played movements 1 & 2 of Bach's 'Pastorale in F' and a Murray interlude. The hymns were:
On this day, the first of days (Lubeck)
The Lord is risen indeed (Narenza)
Love's redeeming work is done (Savannah)
Jesus lives (St Albinus)
Ps 126 to a chant by Stephen Foster, and the choir (all 3 of them & me) sang a Geoffrey Shaw Mag & Nunc. Anthem abandoned due to poor numbers.
I played them out to the Toccata only from the Bach D minor.

All listened to by the congregation of 2 (and I hope, the Almighty).

Next Sunday I have a rare Sunday off and am going to attend the potential new parish, sitting in the cong.

Will be offline later as am going to Devon to meet family.

Regards,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 9:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everning Nigel,

Went too an Organ Recital at Brecon Cathedral - Have you been there? Its a 3 Manual Hill Norman and Beard they haveing at some point adding more "Pipes" from Phionex Organs have a look http://www.phoenixorgans.co.uk/installations/Brecon.html and you can see the specifications of the organ inside on the page

Timothy Morgan was the recitleist my god he can play - 2 of which where the Bachs Tocata in C BWV 545 and Widors Toccata it was really good and he played some very interesting music with the Organ flat out my god it shakes the Church, on that organ as well is a "FanFare Trumpet" what an amazing stop! The pipes are pointing out of the pipe case if you can imagine it.

Talk Soon

Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Thu Apr 20, 2006 8:19 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob,

Brecon Cathedral ... a real 'blast from the past' for me. When I was young (in the 70's) our choirmaster was a friend of David Gedge and our choir (St Paul's W-s-Mare) sang every year in Brecon Cathedral. Another link was that our vicar was born in Brecon. I played the organ for the anthem at Choral Evensong and the final voluntary when I was about 18. I don't remember being particularly impressed - but then, I've never been that impressed with Daniel's.

The electronic additions sound interesting - I've played several local organs in Somerset where Deane Organ Builders (an excellent organbuilder) have used electronic additions - especially in the pedal - to very good effect. To come back to the title of this thread - your original question, Rob, it comes down to a decent speaker system, with sufficient big and powerful speakers and a proper amplifier. At Wiveliscombe Church, near me, the electronic stops are very good. I'm looking forward to hearing it in May when the new organist of Wells Cathedral, Matthew Owen, is giving a recital.

BTW - I hve a an very old LP of Hazel Davies (David Gedge's wife), Playing Brecon and Bangor Cathedrals. EWill dig it outand listen again.

Regards,

Nigel
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4 ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 3 of 19

Jump to: