Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Filing Sheet Music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Gilsondg

PostPosted: Sat Oct 09, 2004 9:38 am    Post subject: Filing Sheet Music Reply with quote

Does anyone know of a good databse for keeping track of Organ Music. I have loads of sheet Laughing music and albums which I need to catalogue.
Have tried to write one under MS access, with limited success.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You might find something here which can be adapted for your needs
eg. Book Collector
http://www.collectorz.com/

Good Luck

Lance
diapason8

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've got a simple database which a local programmer wrote for me a while back. It runs in MS Access and has fields for name, composer, parts, season etc. I used it and it worked well for me. Unfortunately, I lost all my data earlier this year when my old hard drive -and the backup -were virus-damaged. I have to start again, but am holding fire as I'm considering a move to another church. I have still got the basic program and will try to email it if it sounds useful.

Regards,

Nigel

PS -I hope the music of Lord's Prayer arrives safely through snail-mail.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Tue Apr 11, 2006 5:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

MS Access is a good program, once you grasp the concept of a "relational database". I've used it for years to catalogue my extensive CD collection. I imagine it would be superb for sheet music.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 4:30 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

If you just want a simple database (spreadsheet type) then MS Excel is as good as any. I have three extensive databases in this format, my CD's, my vinyl recordings, and my Psalms of David to Anglican Chant (recorded versions) They work really well for me and I have been doing it this way now for over 15 years. If I was looking to catalogue my anthems and sheet music I'd more than likely stick with this system

My two penneth!

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Apr 12, 2006 2:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

True, Excel will work for most situations. Access is good for very large collections. You could have a separate table for, say composers or publishers. It makes updating easier. BTW, I assume you have the 10 volume set on Priory of the Psalms of David?
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes Jason, I do and also the complete set by St.Paul's / John Scott. All up I have 521 psalms to listen to sung in Anglican chant, a few of which are even sung in Swedish !!
So I need to keep them on a database to track down the chants and choirs I want.

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 5:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Yes Jason, I do and also the complete set by St.Paul's / John Scott. All up I have 521 psalms to listen to sung in Anglican chant, a few of which are even sung in Swedish !!
So I need to keep them on a database to track down the chants and choirs I want.

My, you do have quite the collection. I have the Priory set, but only one volume in the Hyperion series. Good on you for going all the way!

I think perhaps my favourite chant of all time -and one that has given me so much happiness and comfort- is in volume 1 of the Priory series (from Hereford): a magnificent setting by Barnby and Garrett of Psalm 7.

Here's a question for you: I have a copy of The Anglican Chant Book published by Novello, and running through the Priory series, I was amazed that only 2 or 3 of the settings in that book were included. Is this book outdated? I'm rather confused. As per earlier in my thread, I don't know the St. Paul's recordings... maybe they use some of them?

Cheers to you, Lance.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I am listening to Psalm 7 to Barnby and Garrett as I type and it certainly makes a fine coupling.
To answer your query on the Anglican Chant Book, I will need a couple of days to think about it. I have a busy Good Friday with 2 performances of Crucifixion tomorrow, which will cosume my time.
With regard to the St.Paul's set, they use their own Psalter which I would recommend you buy as it is edited and pointed by John Scott. You can then (except in a couple of Psalms) follow the whole 150 plus the Easter Anthem as you purchase the discs.
Do you have the 2 volume selection by Westminster Abbey and the 3 volumes by King's?

Happy Psalming!

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
With regard to the St.Paul's set, they use their own Psalter which I would recommend you buy as it is edited and pointed by John Scott. You can then (except in a couple of Psalms) follow the whole 150 plus the Easter Anthem as you purchase the discs.
Do you have the 2 volume selection by Westminster Abbey and the 3 volumes by King's?

I do not have either the Westminster Abbey or King's. They may be out of print. What label were they on? As for the John Scott edition, where can I get this? Perhaps SPCK or Banks Music in York? I will be happy to "do the research", but if you happen to know off hand...

Lance, I understand, this is a busy time for you, so please at your convenience. It is very much appreciated. Cheers...
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

King's are re-releases on EMI from the original vinyl recordings which you may already have. My copies of Westminster Abbey are on Virgin Classics. Vol 1 is from 1991 and Vol 2 from 1995. I'm sure they are all still available.
A friend of mine got me the St. Paul's Psalter from the cathedral, as it is their own publication. It is printed by The Lavenham Press Limited, Lavenham, Sudbury, Suffolk, and is distributed by The Canterbury Press Norwich. Try the Cathedral Gift Shop at St.Paul's

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 9:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason

Living as I do in an Antipodean outpost called Melbourne (Remember....We had the Commonwealth Games...), there is not such a lot of English Church Music available in the music shops. I use the internet regularly to order from UK and USA as I read CD reviews in the Choral / Organ journals to which I subscribe.
The Westminster Abbey CD's if you want them are available from Amazon UK at this link
http://www.amazon.co.uk/exec/obidos/ASIN/B0007DHQ4I/qid=1144919466/sr=2-3/ref=sr_2_11_3/203-5360054-9951157
Looks like they've issued this now as a 2 CD set at a good price!

Enjoy!!!!

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 16, 2006 11:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello again Jason

I trust your Easter celebrations were full of wonderful music!

I have had a bit of a look at Vol 1 of the Priory series of Psalms and you will find all but six of the chants contained in The RSCM Chant Book. This is an excellent publication from The Royal School of Church Music. in the time of Lionel Dakers. It may still be available, but I have had mine for many years. Only the Garrett chant is exclusive to the Anglican Chant Book. Five of the chants I could not locate, but I would suggest they may have been written by past musicians of Hereford Cathedral, and perhaps unpublished.
I tend to think that maybe the Anglican Chant Book has become a bit of a dinosaur, with the RSCM now providing a more suitable alternative for use with the modern language services.

Lance
eagles

PostPosted: Wed May 24, 2006 11:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

If I may sympathise over the virus thing, while there would be little possible to recover I imagine, it isn't a very well known fact that a number of Windows applications will run in a "layer" referred to as WINE in the Linux and Unix computer operating systems... meaning that there is minimal likelihood for viral infections.

I have succesfully installed and used the genuine Microsoft freely-available free-of-gelt "readers" (Word, Excel, PowerPoint) in a number of Linux installations for checking the equivalents produced in the other major office suite - Open Office.

Just a thought in passing.

By the way, WINE is an acronym which stands for Wine Is Not an Emulator.

There is a commercial (you pay real money for it) version of WINE called Crossover Office which may also run Access; I'm pretty sure the basic WINE doesn't.

Virii are indeed a scourge. So also is deleting all files when you think you have made a backup, and haven't. Argh.........

Linux User 416434
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: