Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

St. John's C.C. webcasts services, etcetera...

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
george eaglesham

PostPosted: Thu Nov 12, 2009 11:56 pm    Post subject: St. John's C.C. webcasts services, etcetera... Reply with quote

I'm a new member, so perhaps this post is redundant by now. But there may be some who are not aware that St. John's C.C. choir has a new(ish) website with recent evensongs and concerts archived. It was a wonderful discovery for me, sometime earlier this year. St. John's is one of my favourite traditional men and boy choirs. I visited there in the late 60s when George Guest was director, and the sound was fabulous. It still is, at least judging by the quality in the raft of CDs they recorded in the late 1990s and early 00s.
I feel they have a subtly different sound than King's (though King's is just as much a treasure). Of course, even the great trad. choirs are subject to changes in quality and style with changes in their directors. But thankfully most maintain a consistent high quality. I've always marvelled at the musicianship, work ethic, and composure of the boy trebles in the top English choirs. Of course it has to do with selection, and the teaching traditions in the choir schools. We have nothing like it in n. America (I'm in Canada, btw). I have a large collection of recordings of m. and b. choirs. One of my all time favourites, which I've almost worn out, before digitizing it on my computer, is a vinyl of the Temple Church Choir of the early 1960s with Thalben-Ball --and Earnest Lough, and his son Robin singing a lovely solo turn. The choir's hymn singing, in particular, was (is?) heartbreakingly sensitive. But sadly, I haven't heard a recording from the Temple Church Choir in many years.
Anyway... here is the link for St. John's archived evensongs:
http://www.sjcchoir.co.uk/default.php?page=webcast
Cheers, George Eaglesham, Ontario, Canada georgegray@bmts.com
A Rose by Any Other Name

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 6:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good to see you here, George, and a very interesting post.

I do hope that your enthusiasm will re-kindle the interest of members of this forum, which has been very quiet for some time - in fact, yours was, I think, the first post sonce Rob's on August 3rd! I have PM'd a few former stalwarts to see if we can get things going. I too am fairly new, and would like to get some use from the forum that our administrator is good enough to provide.
george eaglesham

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 2:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Rose by Any Other Name wrote:
Good to see you here, George, and a very interesting post.

I do hope that your enthusiasm will re-kindle the interest of members of this forum, which has been very quiet for some time - in fact, yours was, I think, the first post sonce Rob's on August 3rd! I have PM'd a few former stalwarts to see if we can get things going. I too am fairly new, and would like to get some use from the forum that our administrator is good enough to provide.

Yes, I've just noticed the dates on the posts and it is a pity that not more people are using the forum. But there are quite a few actually viewing the posts, which is encouraging. What I might do is occasionally post a blurb about a particular recording that others might be interested in. Also, I'm a member of CTCC (the Campaign for Traditional Cathedral Choirs), and through them I receive newsletters of various happenings re. the traditional church music scene in England. Also, perhaps there are people reading this who are unaware of CTCC and might like to join up. It is an organization that advocates especially for the traditional English cathedral and collegiate men and boys' choirs, which are endangered by the current political tides. Great art should be unchanging; something that has been adored and heralded as a national English treasure for hundreds of years must not be scuppered. Here is the CTCC website: http://www.ctcc.org.uk/
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 9:26 pm    Post subject: Re: St. John's C.C. webcasts services, etcetera... Reply with quote

george eaglesham wrote:
......But sadly, I haven't heard a recording from the Temple Church Choir in many years.

Welcome "George" and "A Rose B.A.O.N". Let's hope your enthusiasm sparks this very useful forum back into life.
George, there are a number of recordings of the temple Church Choir under George Thalben Ball remastered on to CD available at this link
http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=ohscatalog&query=temple+church&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ohscatalog.org%2F
and some newer stuff at the temple website
http://www.templemusic.org/catalogue/recordings

Best wishes from one of the old stalwarts
Very Happy
Lance
george eaglesham

PostPosted: Fri Nov 13, 2009 11:58 pm    Post subject: Re: St. John's C.C. webcasts services, etcetera... Reply with quote

[/quote]George, there are a number of recordings of the temple Church Choir under George Thalben Ball remastered on to CD available at this link
http://search.store.yahoo.net/cgi-bin/nsearch?catalog=ohscatalog&query=temple+church&.autodone=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.ohscatalog.org%2F
and some newer stuff at the temple website
http://www.templemusic.org/catalogue/recordings[/quote]

. . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . . .
Thanks Lance. I will definitely check out those links. I have several old vinyls from the Thalben-Ball years, although I would love to find some of my favourites in CD format. Last time I checked though (I emailed the Temple a couple of years back) my most beloved old recording has not been remastered onto CD — I was so disappointed. It is a vinyl, simply titled 'Music Of The Service from the Temple Church'. It includes a Matins on one side and Evensong on the other. You know how it is, everyone has a recording that just moves you so much. It is such an individual thing, I suppose. But this album does it for me. The choir is at the top of its form, IMO (and that's saying something, considering its superlative choral standard going back to Walford Davies and E.J. Hopkins). The Walford Davies' Introit, followed by Psalm 121, at the opening of the Matins has duet and solo treble voices (inc. Robin Lough) that project the most haunting and wistful sound imaginable. To my mind and my ear, this sort of sound cannot be created by the female voice (girl chorister, or adult professional). The boy treble (at least at this highest level of selection and training) has, when his voice has fully bloomed at the age of, say, 12 or 13, a tone and timbre of unique longing. Obviously it is a tone and timbre of great simplicity— not with the artistry of an adult professional soprano like a Renee Fleming. But, again imo, it is a perfect sound— perfect, that is, for the expression of the wonderful corpus of traditional Anglican church music. For those of us who feel this, it is difficult to explain. But I think it has something to do with a very particular transitional, but still innocent, sound produced by a boy just before his voice inevitably morphs into a more aggressive masculinity, which we hear in the adult male registers of tenor, baritone, and bass.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 14, 2009 4:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I know that recording well. When I first started collecting church music, my first two recordings were the Temple Church "Music of the Service" and St.John's College, Cambridge "English Cathedral Music 1770-1860". Interesting that neither of those vinyl records has been remastered on to CD (to the best of my knowledge)
jpfsc

PostPosted: Tue Dec 15, 2009 12:58 pm    Post subject: Re: St. John's C.C. webcasts services, etcetera... Reply with quote

We have nothing like it in n. America (I'm in Canada, btw).

George,
I just checked out this site for the first time in a long while and enjoyed your comments on St. John's and Temple Choirs. I only know them by their recordings. I am fortunate to live in NYC where one of the finest Anglican Choir Schools in the country is attached to St.Thomas Church, Fifth Avenue www.saintthomaschurch.org
The newly redesigned website site will provide webcast recodings of their many services throughout the week. Gerre Hancock had been Master of Choristers there for years until John Scott was brought over from St. Paul's, London a few years ago; he has worked magic with his charges in the years since. I hope you enjoy this new venue.
Joe
[/quote]
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: