Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Johannus Opus 1105 External Speakers Help Needed Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobCharles

PostPosted: Fri Feb 27, 2009 12:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Hmmm! Looks like someone's removed a couple of posts between Feb 20th and Feb 26th from this thread. Evil or Very Mad

What do you mean?? Rolling Eyes
RobCharles

PostPosted: Mon Mar 02, 2009 9:27 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Un update on the main thread if I may.

Back in January 20th the PCC had a meeting. I mentioned to my vicar that we should get the organ serviced and to see about getting Anthony Bogdan Organs to the church to advise the way forward.

I contacted one of the members of the PCC "Its going to be looked into" wow I thought getting somewhere at last, and he also said I should speak to the Vicar.

I made an appointment with him for one Thursday and went along and it was said that we would get Makins to see to the faults and to have Anthony Bogdan to come in the months ahead (Summer Time) and to make a start on Fund Raising Projtects - About time too I said. The PCC secretary was also going to write to me to say what the Vicar had said to me ok fair enough.

Well I received the letter (A Nice Letter) But one of the points made was baffling:

1. Visit by Mr Anthony Bogdan to see the organ and advise especially with a view to installing speakers.

OutCome

"Makings should be contacted and a visit requested for a little latter in the year to correct any damaged or faulty parts and also to discuss any other problems. It was decided to continue are association with Makins rather than involve a third Party i.e Mr Antony Bogdan"

When I read this I was livid there's obviously someone "Shitstiring".

When I saw the Rector on Sunday I mentioned that the PCC secretary had wrote to me and I told him about the wrong point that she had made I did request to to him that I had previously told him that I wanted Anthony Bogdan for the Speakers.

I know what Makin are going to say "its not worth the investment" or somewhere along those lines why? Easy not worth spending 3,000 on speakers on this 15 year old organ.

The Max to spend I think its about 1,000-1,500 somewhere along those lines.

If I see the Secretary tomorrow in Church I will tell her about this.

Cheers

Rob
lancecornea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 03, 2009 4:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The saga continues........ Rolling Eyes
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Mar 04, 2009 2:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
The saga continues........ Rolling Eyes

And on Piano World some bloody prat has decided that he has no fear of overtures, so therefore Liszt's utterly taxing transcription of Wagner's Tannhauser Overture should be a walk in the park. Doubt that a Rachmaninov, Horowitz, Richter or Argerich would give it a second thought... so good on the boy. They do get more stupid as the years go by, particularly if they're from the US, the moron capital of the world.

As Lance says, the saga continues... but how long before the greed and self-righteousness of Washington DC destroys our planet?
RobCharles

PostPosted: Wed May 20, 2009 9:10 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Quick Update here, when the Easter vestry AGM was held on April 20th, I submitted my Report stating along the lines....

That Anthony Bogdan should do the speaker Job and Not Makins the problem I know have is that is that"

I also suggested out of Curiosity that AB could do the maintenance, no they wanted Makin ok fair enough as Makins done the stupid adjustments.

A few weeks ago I emailed my Vicar to find out the updates this is totally confusing (See Bellow)

All I want here is for Makin to do the Maintenance, Makin NOT to Make recommendations for speakers (I believe they came in the past and wasted the Church's Time "Not Necessary" with that said its going to cost 3,000 Rolling Eyes

The Church here don't understand the age of the organ its over 15 Years old putting 3,000 of Speakers is putting on more than its worth the organ was purchased in 2001 at 3,500

All I want here is for Anthony Bogdan Organs to do the Speaker Job Assessment for at least 1,500 ( The Sensible Budget)

All The funding is to be raised through Fund Raising Events in the Summer.

This What I had from the Vicar: Rolling Eyes
The Vicar is coming to see me tomorrow

Witrh regards to the organ at Nicholaston - your report to the Easter Vestry meeting was received and discussed. I have to report that the PCC remains adamant that the servicing of the organ should be done by Makins. I understand that Mary-Lou, our PCC Secretary, has contacted Makins and that an appointment has been made for them to come to St Nicholas in the next few months. The PCC does not wish to engage the services of Anthony Bogdin, and feel that Makins have provided good service in the past. [/b]
RobCharles

PostPosted: Thu May 21, 2009 1:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well The Vicar has been today:

Apparently what the PCC seem to worry about if that externals are put into the organ here it will be to loud for the church! I don't think they heard of the phrase "Take Your Foot Off The Gas"

Rector fully agrees with my view on the situation and will take this a step at a time and maybe the last step would be to contact Anthony Bogdan to make a visit request, he is going away next week on Holidays, and when he comes back, the first step we is to suggested to speak to the Organist at our other Church (The One With The Makin) and another organ friend of mine who he knows and I know to come to a service to see the situation for himself.

He Entirely Agrees about spending / Rasing 1,500 against 3,000, the PCC need convincing here that the sound will not be loud or so to speak.
Any Thoughts?

And Rector has suggested also that I come along to the next PCC meeting to get my point across, and prior to that I will visit the PCC members individually to talk with them about this issue, I have an idea in mind for a "Guided Organ Tour" after a service.

Looking optimistic so far something to be going on with.

Rob
RobCharles

PostPosted: Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:14 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I've been looking into this now and I've found what appears to be the whole answer to this problem I hope!

On The Organ Console there are 3 Way Switches to either have Internals or Externals Activated:

A Internal Speakers
A/B Internal Speakers On Half Volume and External Speakers
B External Speakers Mode

Johannus inform me that there are two Amplifier Cards on my Organ

Amplifier Card A Internal Speakers Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy
Amplifier Card B External Speakers Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Both of those cards have Volume Bass Treble Adjustments! Wink

With the Volume Adjusted for the External Speakers on Card B Its not going to be loud in Church! Wink

Don't know why this messageboard is good with hotlinks!

http://img30.imageshack.us/img30/3070/jho3220potentiometers.jpg
RobCharles

PostPosted: Tue Jun 30, 2009 7:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Folks I'm at most disgusted now.

In January the PCC said that Makin Organs where to be contacted soon to book an appointment to sort out some much nagging issues with the organ.

I got onto Makin and I told them what was going on and I submitted some issues that needed seeing too they said they would get back to me once he has spoken to the vicar and he also said that when either party made in call, he would inform me of the date and day and time so I could be at the Church to oversee and make sure this "work" was carried out to my satisfaction.

Fair enough.

I asked Makin about the nagging issues with the organ and how they could be fixed so that I had a good idea in mind on what to expect I wasn't doing anything wrong you have to know these things.

When Makin Told me the cost of the External Speaker System was put at 3,000, I told them I already made up my mind and said no Id go to Anthony Bogdan who they claim that he never had "informal" training in Makin or Johannus Organs (Lie) And that I could void the warranty by doing such thing.

The last I was to hear from Makin at that point was 1st June....

Now we had service in Church last Sunday, and I figured that someone had been playing on my Organ and I couldn't work out whom.

After the service the PCC Secretary said to me:

"How do you like the organ now its been serviced!"

I was really hurt by this...

Apparently they came 2 Weeks ago on the 18th I think it was.

And Makin didn't follow my instructions on what to do on the organ its gone rubbish.

The Worst Part is that I was not informed of this visit they had gone behind my back present at the Church was the PCC Secretary and the Church Warden.

I'm still reeving by this and I phoned the PCC Secretary

And I said I wasn't happy and to the fact why I wasn't invited was that I "Didn't want to cause Embarrassment due to the conversation that I had with Makin"

I'm trying to get hold of my Vicar to tell him what has gone on, this is how I was treated it was not on.

Rob
A Rose by Any Other Name

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 4:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob - I can see exactly why you feel hurt over this. You have been treated abysmally in return for your devotion. My, this has been going on a long time hasn't it. I imagine that you must like your job at this church or you would have given up long ago!
RobCharles

PostPosted: Wed Jul 01, 2009 5:11 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

A Rose by Any Other Name wrote:
Rob - I can see exactly why you feel hurt over this. You have been treated abysmally in return for your devotion. My, this has been going on a long time hasn't it. I imagine that you must like your job at this church or you would have given up long ago!

I'm going to try and speak to the Vicar this week and tell him whats gone on, I'm not putting up with this shit I'm sorry to say.
RobCharles

PostPosted: Sat Jul 04, 2009 3:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

What id like to know folks.

Who is legally responsible for Maintenance and tuning of organs in Churches/Cathedrals? The Organist?

And to follow up where might I obtain reference to that?

Thanks.

Rob
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 10:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobCharles wrote:
Who is legally responsible for Maintenance and tuning of organs in Churches/Cathedrals? The Organist?

The Churchwardens (and PCC) are responsible for all of the fabric - especially the funding! Whether the PCC have devolved the responsibility of day-to-day activities to the appointed organist would be different for each location.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parochial_Church_Council

John.
RobCharles

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 12:32 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwatkins wrote:
RobCharles wrote:

The Churchwardens (and PCC) are responsible for all of the fabric - especially the funding! Whether the PCC have devolved the responsibility of day-to-day activities to the appointed organist would be different for each location.

See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Parochial_Church_Council

John.

Well that shouldn't be.

The PCC And Wardens are not the organist, I am I know what needed to be done and what happened wasn't done.

Spoken to some of my fellow organists and they say its the Organist who deals with it.
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Mon Jul 06, 2009 5:00 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

You asked who was legally responsible, not who normally has the responsibility for the organ and its works.

If the PCC and wardens are going behind the back of the appointed organist, then you have every reason to make a complaint and request explanation. If none is forthcoming then you can exercise your right to withhold labour.

However right you are, you can't force the PCC to bend to your will. I suspect they could remove you as organist citing "terminal breakdown in work relations" or some such reason (I am not a lawyer).

John.
RobCharles

PostPosted: Thu Jul 16, 2009 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwatkins wrote:
You asked who was legally responsible, not who normally has the responsibility for the organ and its works.

If the PCC and wardens are going behind the back of the appointed organist, then you have every reason to make a complaint and request explanation. If none is forthcoming then you can exercise your right to withhold labour.

However right you are, you can't force the PCC to bend to your will. I suspect they could remove you as organist citing "terminal breakdown in work relations" or some such reason (I am not a lawyer).

John.

Agreed with you there John on all accounts there.

I happened to contact the "Church Care Website" On this too:

Thank you for your message about responsibility for maintenance of church organs.

This is a matter that needs to be agreed between the organist and the church. When the organist has a contract with the church it is normal for the contract to say who is responsible for the maintenance of the organ.

Yours sincerely

David Knight
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... , 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 18 of 19

Jump to: