Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Johannus Opus 1105 External Speakers Help Needed Please
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobCharles

PostPosted: Tue Apr 04, 2006 10:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Everning Nigel

havent long come in, and Ive been too the monthly Organ Recital Meeting with the Swansea Organ Association the organ was out of tune but netherless he was on form!

Ive sorted out hymns for Palm Sunday all the usaul ones

and on the 20th May the SWOA are going on the anual trip too Briston/Clifton including a visit too colston hall! on the 4 Manual 93 Stops Harison and Harison so that will be rather fun and exciting!

Cheers

Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Rob, Sounds like you're busy! Here in the 'outback' of West Somerset there aren't many recitals. But, a nearby church are having their organ rebuilt and are planning something for, I think, May/June.

There are many very good organs in Bristol. I used to be up there a lot (my wife is a Bristolian), but we live rather a long way down now, and visit rarely. Colston Hall is good - if , you get the chance, look at the Cathedral, All Saints Clifton, St Mary Redcliffe, and, for a nice Romantic Willis, St Monica's Home on Clifton Downs. I played for a while at All Hallows, Easton in the east end of Bristol. A superb church with a small, but good, Haskins organ (a local Bristol builder). My friend plays at Holy Nativity, Knowle on a rather good Vowles 3-manual - super Tuba!

Glad you're sorted for Palm Sunday,

Regards,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 1:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Nigel

Thanks for the reply.... Got my Hymns all figured out now for Palm Sunday, All Glory Laud and Honner, Make Way Make Way, Ride on In Majesty, Broken for Me, My Song is love unknown,

I'm looking forward too the Trip too Bristol, I know for a fact we are going too Colston Hall! 93 Speaking Stops too play with! So that should be fun!, I'm not sure of the other 2 Churches but I'm sure they are good organs too have a play on.

Went too the monthly Organ Recital last night I must say the Organ was a bad state e.g out of tune, some of the pedal notes wernt working, but other than he coped well.

Hope all is well, speak soon

Rob
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diapason8 wrote:
...if , you get the chance, look at the Cathedral, All Saints Clifton, St Mary Redcliffe, and, for a nice Romantic Willis, St Monica's Home on Clifton Downs.

Went to a terrific CE at the cathedral several years ago and hope to return for more in May. I just love the instrument in the cathedral... maybe not to everybody's taste, but magnificent to me. Regent Records recently issued a nifty recording of the organ.

I've visited St Mary Redcliffe ( awesome ) but have never heard the organ live. I have an old Argo recording with Carlo Curley, but I can barely tolerate his playing or the foppish, flowery tone of his liner notes.

Where is St. Monica's in relation to, say, Bristol Temple Meeds?
diapason8

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 4:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

St Monica's is a very select residential community for the elderly. It's on Clifton Downs, not too far from Bristol Zoo. I'm not sure how open the organ is to visitors, but I would guess that you would be welcome by appointment.

I've got a very old LP of Edward Fry playing the organ. It's called 'Romantic Organ Music and was recorded in 1973 on Decca's 'Ace of Diamonds label, ref SDD-R 404. There was a companion record called 'Classical Organ Music and is of Fry on All Saints, Clifton.

The St Monica's organ was originally built by Willis in 1892 for Sir Henry Wills' home at Barley Wood in nearby Wrington. Details are, doubtless, on NPOR. Barleywood, which was also lived in at one time by Hannah Moore. It is now a drug rehabilitation centre and was visited on several occasions by Princess Diana. There are several other ex-BarleyWood organs in the area, but they are nothing special. I'm not sure whether the LP's were ever recorded on CD.

Edward Fry was recently a resident at St Monica's and is/was the hon. organist of the chapel. I'm not sure whether he is still there.

Hope this is helpful,

Regards,

Nigel

Last edited by diapason8 on Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:18 pm; edited 2 times in total
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Apr 05, 2006 11:04 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

diapason8 wrote:
Hope this is helpful

It certainly was. Cheers, Nigel.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 4:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have anyone of you seen this website?

http://www.churchcrawler.co.uk/

There's a lot of neat stuff about churches in and around Bristol. Also some interesting info and pictures of NYC churches. What is said about St. John the Divine makes one really wonder about American Episcopalians. Wink

Edit: I could put this in a new topic if the url is of sufficient interest.

Last edited by Jason Evans on Fri Apr 07, 2006 5:58 am; edited 1 time in total
RobCharles

PostPosted: Thu Apr 06, 2006 8:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason do you play the organ yourself ??
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 6:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

RobCharles wrote:
Hi Jason do you play the organ yourself ??

Yes... but I don't have an appointment, nor am I looking for one. I just happened to find out that my talent resided more in the financial area so I have a current job in the City. I'm one of the youngest employees at the bank.

As a child I tried to get into one of the major London area cathedral choirs- I'd rather not say which one- but, for reasons that are still not clear, was not accepted. In hindsight I thought I was certainly "cute enough", though I suspect the competition was too great at the time. I asked mum if I could then try for Hereford or Worcester, but she insisted I stay with her in London.

I still remain deeply interested in the liturgy and music of the Anglican Church and have a wonderful CD collection. Yet overall, the composer most dear to my heart is Elgar.
RobCharles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 9:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What do you think of the dicussion so far me and Nigel have had about my Johannus Organ for External Speakers?? Also do you like Makin Organs ???
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 07, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The part of the discussion concerning the actual instruments is a bit over my head. I know almost nothing about electronic (pipeless is a more polite term?) organs and have never played one.

However, on the previous page wherein you discussed with Nigel the service music, there I was on more familiar ground. I should have chimed in at that point, but didn't really feel I had anything substantive to add. Cheers...
diapason8

PostPosted: Sat Apr 08, 2006 11:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

When I was young, the electronics were known, rather perjoratively, as 'electronic substitutes' or 'electrones'. Many organists refused to acknowledge them as 'organs' at all!

Nowadays, even though I prefer pipe organs, the digital electronics are excellent, and, in some instances, the only realistic option for new churches, places with no space or money for a pipe organ and, especially for home practice.

If you get the chance, Jason, try some out. Copeman Hart are generally considered to be the 'Rolls-Royce' with many others being almost - if not equally - as good.

Let us know what you think.

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 1:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Good Morning Nigel how was Palm Sunday with your Church? It went well with mine we had about 30 in the congregation which was very pleasing!
diapason8

PostPosted: Sun Apr 09, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Afternoon, Rob,

Mass this morning was OK musically, but the congregation and choir were very thin (in number, rather than in girth!). I played Mendelssohn's 'War March of the Priests' afterwards. The tuning of the organ was poor due to the temperature variations.

I' m just going back (another 25 mile round trip) to play for a Meditation based on Compline. The choir are singing a few items including Mozart's 'Ave Verum', Lundy's 'Reproaches' a responsorial psalm and Greening's ' 'Drop, slow tears'. The Methodist choir are singing Kendrick's Come and See' and 'Make Way'.

I've been offered another organist's post, much nearer home. A Flight & Robson 2-manual, but no proper choir. A chance to build one up, though, and also some young instrumentalists. Giving it some thought over the next few days.

Regards,

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Mon Apr 10, 2006 11:13 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello Nigel sorry for the late reply, yes it was a good turn out as I said, looking forward too this week leading up too Easter appart from the Sunday by Sunday from rscm theres another good site called http://www.oremus.org/hymnal/ have you tried that one??
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 17, 18, 19  Next
Page 2 of 19

Jump to: