Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Music to go with 1549 BCP

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 7:21 pm    Post subject: Music to go with 1549 BCP Reply with quote

My church is thinking about doing a special service that uses the 1549 prayer book, and we would like it to be as authentic as possible, including the music. How would we get information about what kind of music, instruments, etc. would have been included. Also whether there would have been a choir, what hymns would have been sung, etc.

Also, has anybody done a recording of such a service that we could use as a model? E.g. the 1549 prayer book suggests that some of the prayers were sung, either by the priest or by "clerks." We would like to know what it all sounded like.

Many thanks for any information you can provide.

Sincerely,

Jeanne-Marie Baron
Church of St. Barnabas
Irvington, N.Y. USA
diapason8

PostPosted: Mon May 05, 2008 8:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

The setting which was traditionally used (and is still used in some churches today) is that by John Merbecke. Martin Shaw's 'Anglican Folk Mass' was also used. Both are still in print and I'm sure that there a recordings available.

N
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 9:39 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Probably the only music that would be used would be what we know today as "Merbecke" (pronounced Marbek). You can find a modern arrangement in the New English Hymnal. There would unlikely to be any hymns as we know them in 1549, but there could well have been congregational psalms.

Martin Shaw is C20 vintage Smile

John.

Last edited by jwatkins on Tue May 06, 2008 12:40 pm; edited 1 time in total
lancecornea

PostPosted: Tue May 06, 2008 11:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I echo what John has said.
There's not a lot of Merbecke around, but I have a vinyl recording of the Merbecke Credo sung by the Choir of St.George's Chapel, Windsor in Sydney Campbell's days. If you want an mp3 of it, send me your email address by private message and I'll post it to you.

Lance
jmbaron

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 8:46 pm    Post subject: Thanks! Reply with quote

Thanks to all of you for this great information. FWIW, I found a "Merbecke" CD on iTunes. It's called "Merbecke: Missa Per Arma Iustitie" featuring Andrew Carwood, David Skinner and the Cardinal's Musick. You can download the whole thing for ten bucks.

It's mostly in Latin. Would that have been the usual thing in an English church? Thanks again.

jmb
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 07, 2008 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

That was probably a pre-reformation Merbecke setting. Have you read the Wkipedia entry - http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/John_Marbeck ?
Quote:
In the same year [1550] Marbeck published his Booke of Common Praier Noted, intended to provide for musical uniformity in the use of the First Prayer Book of Edward VI. This set the liturgy to semi-rhythmical melodies partly adapted from Gregorian chant; it was rendered obsolete when the Prayer Book was revised in 1552. It was however rediscovered in the 19th century, and adaptations for the 1662 liturgy are still in use.

That implies that Merbecke's setting only lasted a few years before being revived just over 100 years ago.

John.

Last edited by jwatkins on Thu May 08, 2008 9:16 pm; edited 1 time in total
jmbaron

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 12:59 pm    Post subject: Thanks again! Reply with quote

So just to clarify, are you saying that post-reformation, the words would have been sung in English?

Many thanks for the Wikipedia link.
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Thu May 08, 2008 9:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Absolutely. One of the main changes was the liturgy in the vernacular - ie: English, rather than Latin (or Greek).

John.
middleC

PostPosted: Sat May 10, 2008 5:30 pm    Post subject: 1549 music Reply with quote

I remember that Guildford Cathedral did a series of reconstructed Prayer Book services with specially edited music in 1999 (450th anniversary of the Prayer Book) - they also did 1552 and 1662 versions. Can't remember much about it but there was more music than Merbecke involved. If you ask someone nicely there for information you may have some luck.
diapason8

PostPosted: Mon May 12, 2008 10:00 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm playing for a service tonight: 1662 Sung Eucharist to Merbecke with the Shaw Santus & Benedictus. The original English Hymnal too. I'm rather looking forward to it!

N
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: