Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Simon Preston

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancecornea

PostPosted: Mon Feb 18, 2008 10:07 am    Post subject: Simon Preston Reply with quote

On Sunday, I was able to attend a recital by Simon Preston in Melbourne. The church was packed (fairly unusual for Melbourne) The day was extremely hot (about 36 C) and unfortunately as soon as Simon played his first few notes, the audience cringed, as the organ sadly had gone very out of tune. But like a true professional he adopted what he called "Plan B" and gave an extraordinarily good recital by avoiding, as much as possible, those registers affected by the heat. How many other organists would have refused to continue under such trying conditions?
Many thanks, Simon! Razz
RobCharles

PostPosted: Tue Feb 19, 2008 6:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I love Organ Recitals too myself lance, when something goes drastically wrong in certain heatwave, I would too give it my best shot at anything a good idea also when your organ tuner is present at the recital for any sticky notes!!
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 20, 2008 8:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob, there were at least 3 organ builders present at the recital, but I'm not sure that any of them actually maintain that instrument, so nobody climbed up into the organ chamber during the recital to fix anything! It was a tribute to Simon that he kept going as if nothing was wrong. Amazing Shocked
RobCharles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 21, 2008 6:42 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Funny you should say that too Carlo Curley was doing a recital in my city I didn't feel like going was tired (Organ Builders where on the stand by with their reed knifes and all they're kit!)

However Carlo will be back latter this year in Brecon Cathedral so I'm definitely going to that one.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: