Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Best organ recitalist around?
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:
im thinking of learning the B-A-C-H prelude by Liszt. you know that? all the best

I do, actually, but it's never been a particular favourite. I much prefer the Ad Nos. Get John Scott's recording, crank the volume up and have a Liszt fest! Laughing

Cheers!
stocky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

yeh? its not my favourite but its useful to have i think. yeh got new sound system in my dorm at school mostly used for punk rock and metal etc.. but organ music sounds brilliant on it! Laughing what recording do you have of the dupre? ive decided im going to play boelmann toccata from the suite gothique tomorow in the local church. im the assistant direc of music there so play most sundays. the director is the assit direct of music at school so he wanted me to help train the choir and play the organ. extra work to do on a sunday during term time but weekends at school are really boring! and i get paid so its ok! what does sunday hold for you? ive also got a big joint schools concert tomorow evening and im singing a baritone solo for the girls school up the road. it is the pergolesi mag and somthing else. also playing in the orchestra too and maybe the matthias fanfare at the beging on the organ. all the best mate!
stocky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 10:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey jason! have you read the times today? an article made me feel sick! under new EU laws, pipe organs with lead pipes are becoming illegal! so Salisbury, st Pauls, Worcester, Gloucster, and loads of other amazing instruments across the EU are not being allowed to be used!!!! this is destressing! i cant believe it! look for yourself

go on the times and type in on the search bar organs and it is the top story. there is apparently so much contraversy that a lot of people think it might not happen.

give me a shout back soon! all the best Tom Shocked
Leicester Trev

PostPosted: Thu Mar 23, 2006 10:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

My money is on David Briggs and Wayne Marshall. I heard Gillian Weir recently and must confess to being a little disappointed.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 7:25 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leicester Trev wrote:
My money is on David Briggs and Wayne Marshall.

We could agree here. Just avoid Briggs's recording on Priory 685 Organ Kaleidoscope at Gloucester Cathedral. Never one of my favourite instruments, it sounds particularly poor on this CD. At least at a recent CE the organ was a tad easier on the ear.

I've very fond of Kevin Bowyer's Bach series on Nimbus. Excellent all around. Cheers...
Leicester Trev

PostPosted: Fri Mar 24, 2006 8:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason, I agree with you re the Gloucester Cathedral organ. I've always thought it's an absolutely vile thing since it was given its "neo-classical" sound and I gather that it's always been totally inadequate for supporting a large congregation. Does anyone know if the rebuild is going to make any improvement to the tone? So far as David Briggs is concerned, I think he's at his very best when extemporising - he makes a real art form of it. I recently heard him play an improvised accompaniment to the old silent movie The Hunchback of Notre Dame" and it was spine-tinglingly brilliant.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Leicester Trev wrote:
Jason, I agree with you re the Gloucester Cathedral organ.

Good on you! As a veteran of a particularly volatile forum elsewhere, I was concerned with what I could admit to here in this more polite Anglican forum. Well I quite agree: the organ at Gloucester Cathedral is an utter mess, and hearing it at CE a few years ago just confirmed my opinion. I've heard many British cathedral organs and Gloucester rates at the utter bottom of my short list. A pity, since the cathedral itself is magnificent... especially the view from the tower.Razz

Sir, you mention a rebuild. Yet I thought the David Briggs CD previously mentioned by me in this thread was commemorating that rebuild. Is there to be another? What more disasters can they inflict on the prize of Gloucestershire?

Two years ago I attended CE at Hereford -the Willis was down for rebuild- yet their electronic substitute almost sounded better than Gloucester. I will return to Hereford in May and hope the results match what I heard as a young lad of 18 back in April of 2001. Roy Massey played like a god and Hereford's organ was magnificent. The spiritual home of Edward Elgar -sorry, Worcester- Hereford is very special to me.
Leicester Trev

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason (and everyone else) - my apologies! In the current furore about the new European Directives re lead organ pipes (discussed elsewhere on this site) I'm sure I read something about a rebuild of the Gloucester organ being under threat. It seems that this was either a figment of my imagination or that I had read someone else's misinformation. I now can't find any reference anywhere, and as you imply in your last message, it's highly improbable that another rebuild is planned so soon - for better or for worse!!!
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 25, 2006 8:23 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No problem, Mr. Thurston-Smith! I think we're all getting a bit dodgy over this and I for one haven't a clue what this means for my beloved England and its precious Anglican Church.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 9:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

John Scott's Dupré recording for Hyperion shows him to be a brilliant organist.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:16 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Indeed, and have you heard his latest Hyperion recording (and last at St. Paul's presumably): Percy Whitlock's C minor sonata?

Magnificent.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 02, 2006 10:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

No, but I'll certainly add it to my list, along with (probably) the first recording he has made with St.Thomas' Choir "Christmas on Fifth Avenue, a Pro Organo disc.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Mon Apr 03, 2006 3:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll be following John Scott's work at St. Thomas with interest. Alas, I don't think I need another Christmas CD, so will wait for others. Pro Organo (and Gothic) make fine CDs, worthy American counterparts to Priory and Regent.
stocky

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 4:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi everyone!!! i have returned! ive been flicking through ur coments about gloucester cathedral organ. i was there on easter day with my director of music as i hope to try for an organ scholarhip there for my gap year in a couple of years. i thought the organ was fantastic!!!! they sang stanford in C (groan!) and it went rather well with the choir! the organ voluntary was incredible!!!! it was a very chaotic french piece that id never heard. the dischords were amazing the hemi-demi-semiquavers were incredible and the general tone was brilliant! it got the pulses racing!!! and i got a play around after!!! a friend of mine from schoool is organ scholar next year and then going on to kings cambridge organ scholar and he shares my oppinion of the organ. (but nothing on salisbury!!!! which im pleased to say is back working again!!!) all the best! replies welcome! cheers Tom
Leicester Trev

PostPosted: Wed Apr 19, 2006 5:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Stocky. First of all, good luck with the organ scholarship. It's good to know that someone likes and approves of the Gloucester organ. I don't know anyone with a good word to say for it, but these things are largely a matter of opinion and one man's meat.....etc etc. I've never been overkeen on the neo-classical sound anyway, and for me it just doesn't work in an English Cathedral setting. However, it's not me that might end up playing the thing, so if it happens for you....enjoy!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 2 of 4

Jump to: