Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Impact of women priests on church music

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Lignator

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:03 am    Post subject: Impact of women priests on church music Reply with quote

It would be interesting to hear of other choristers/musicians experiences of change, either good or bad, that lady priests have introduced in the liturgy and standard of music practised in their parish churches since taking up their incumbancies . I was recently in conversation with one whose vowed intent is to 'sex up' the services. No doubt the outcome of this will be more to the colourful superstitions and vanities of the politically correct rather than the true teachings of christ. It would, therefore, be very interesting to hear the opinions of others about the fears and misgivings arising out of the light of experience so far Sad
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 1:07 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ah, I still remember it. Back in 2001 I had spent an exhausting day at the Imperial War Museum in London. I really needed a drink, but I made my way to Southwark Cathedral, just in case there might be some cool music to experience. Well, no, but I'll never, ever forget the female priest who presided over the evening prayer.

She was so utterly magisterial; she spoke so directly to me; she helped heal my wounds incurred after that horrible experience dealing with the dreaded Holocaust exhibit. Sometimes it takes a female to lead and enlighten.

I'm so tired of Jesus and his male disciples. I propose that the Great Man had as many female disciples, yet historical sexism has typically discounted them. And as for the hopeless Catholics and conservative Anglicans who oppose female priests: it just contributes to a church with little relevance whatsoever in the 21st century.

People aren't that stupid, you know...
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2007 12:42 pm    Post subject: Re: Impact of women priests on church music Reply with quote

Lignator wrote:
I was recently in conversation with one whose vowed intent is to 'sex up' the services. No doubt the outcome of this will be more to the colourful superstitions and vanities of the politically correct...

However that view is hardly the result of the sex of the priest! I've come across several women priests who confess to a love of the existing (or older) liturgy and music. I can't recall any who because of their sex changed the music.

The only interesting item is when the reciting is done at soprano/treble pitch. I remember as a treble it confused us at first, but we got used to it. Not sure what would happen during the Howells responses though..?

John.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 2:40 am    Post subject: Re: Impact of women priests on church music Reply with quote

Lignator wrote:
It would be interesting to hear of other choristers/musicians experiences of change, either good or bad, that lady priests have introduced in the liturgy and standard of music practised in their parish churches since taking up their incumbancies .

Ah, I got this thread wrong. It was all just about "lady priests" within the fold, nevermind the flock. Not important of course... the old boys network are having a moment of jubilation... we're actually relevant! ... the irony of it is almost too precious.

Lignator's post is so blatantly patronizing -though conveniently wrapped up in a comingly naive curiosity- is anyone buying this?

Because of complications in my life -not helped by conservatives here- I saw a female priest a few days ago. She helped me so much. Anyone care to argue with that? Perhaps a male would have been better for some of you.
Conrad Poohs

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 11:19 am    Post subject: Re: Impact of women priests on church music Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
Perhaps a male would have been better for some of you.

Now THAT'S irony!
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Maybe Lignator is that woman priest "...whose vowed intent is to 'sex up' the services" and wants to flush out all those arch-conservatives?

Or more likely he(?) is just trying to get anti-conservatives hot under the collar.

In either case, does anyone know of women (lady?) priests who have changed the music liturgy because they are women rather than because of their liturgical leanings?

John.
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2007 5:32 pm    Post subject: Re: Impact of women priests on church music Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
... the old boys network are having a moment of jubilation... we're actually relevant! ... the irony of it is almost too precious.

What jubilation? What's been happening?

John.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: