Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Choral Evensong BBC 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 4:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:

Posted by you on Sept 21st last year, Jason old boy! Wink

Oops. The older I get the better I was...
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Laughing Laughing Laughing
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2007 6:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone catch the "festal" Evensong from King's on BBC?

If I had been there, I don't think I would have kept my composure. Can't recall when I had heard the Wesley sung so beautifully- and then that knock-out Elgar! The organist mounted Elgar's treacherous accompaniment with aplomb (I followed with the score). All in all a nice reminder of Elgar's musical status on the eve of his great breakthrough.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2007 12:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting!

Throughout the Easter season I listened online to every service from St.Thomas' Church, Fifth Ave., New York. I didn't get round to King's until Tuesday, and I thought by comparison, St.Thomas' came out on top. John Scott has turned that choir into something really special!

I must agree with you Jason that the Elgar was top shelf, but the Wesley didn't excite me as much. One of the writers in the BBC Messageboards, who also attended that service, said that Cleobury was quite animated in his conducting style (unusual for him!) but I'm afraid IMHO it didn't come through that way.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 4:09 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
I must agree with you Jason that the Elgar was top shelf, but the Wesley didn't excite me as much.

Well, I wonder why the Wesley moved me so much. Very interesting- per our PM!

Is there a recording, perhaps, that you find more to your liking? I am very curious. Alas, I wish others here on this forum would get involved also, but haven't things been rather quiet? Andrew? WC? Stocky? "N"?
lancecornea

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2007 5:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
Is there a recording, perhaps, that you find more to your liking? I am very curious

There most certainly is, Jason! The recording by St.John's Cambridge, under George Guest in 1964, can move me as King's did for you. I'm not sure whether this is available on CD, although some of the items have appeared on their compilation discs. The teble soloist is not mentioned by name, but he sounds rather young!
I have referred to this recording a few times on this forum as being the defining moment in my passion for church music. I went out and bought the sheet music for all the tracks just so I could sing along with the record.
Through this forum I was lucky enough (by PM) to be contacted by one of the trebles who sang on this particular recording. He had the solo in Walmisley in D min (He remembering his mercy....). He also did a few other solos for George, but not the one from Blessed be the God and Father. He moved on to Lancing College after St.John's.
He is still registered as a member of this forum, and so I hope that if he reads this post he may take the opportunity to reply.

Lance
jpfsc

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2007 3:18 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

deleted

Last edited by jpfsc on Fri Apr 27, 2007 1:49 pm; edited 1 time in total
jpfsc

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2007 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpfsc wrote:
Lance,
Delighted with your St. Thomas comments. I sensed a wonderful change there after the transition from Gerre Hancock. Sorry I missed ST live this year. I alternated between Holy Family(UN) RC and SMV. I missed the Good Friday 3 Hours at HF, for a 3hr prayer service of St. Matthew Passion @ St. Peter's Lutheran(Citicorp) (my favorite way to do 3hrs- congregation sings some chorales and concluding extended hymn 'Lord, Thee I love with all my heart'). I heard that the English Dean of Westminster Abbey(Rev. Canon Donald Gray) gave an outstanding 3Hrs Reflection. The Pastor there, Fr. Robert Robbins(runs a fine High Church RC op there), is a good friend of fmr Rector of St. Thomas(24yrs) who was also Sec'y to Abp. Michael Ramsay, John Andrew; this might have been the connection. SMV is just a religious experience anytime - especially with the Triduum - modern Reproaches sung during veneration were right on the mark. No Baptisms this year but the Vigil went for 3hrs - 8 Lessons.

Locally(I live in The Bronx) Fordham University(SJ) is my usual Sunday Liturgy - now webcasts as well. Always great preaching, but choral work is volunteer and amateurish. They had the University Choir Spring Concert at 3pm in the midst of the nor'easter (7.5") rain last Sunday. A local baroque orchestra joined them for Haydn Te Deum, Bernstein's Chichester Psalms(Hebrew of course), and Bach Magnificat. What a fine performance! worth the soak at both ends.

I think I may have the Argo LP you mentioned stashed away since the 80's in my sister's attic. No room for turntables & records these days.
Nice to read that soloists are part of this site as well.
Joe
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2007 4:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

It amazes me that BBC Choral Evensong on the eve of St.George's Day, coming from a church also named after St.George, would dish up a set of canticles which were not written by a British composer. The combined efforts of Italian composers Durante and Soriano seemed totally out of place.
Evil or Very Mad
Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 1:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll give this topic another try, but it seems to be dying through lack of interest like the rest of this forum.
Did anyone listen to the S.S.Wesley feast from Windsor on Sunday? There is so much to like about Wesley's compositions, and it's even better when you can follow the score from http://www.cpdl.org/wiki/index.php/Samuel_Sebastian_Wesley
Some superb accompaniments from Roger Judd too!

Lance
jwatkins
Site Admin

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 2:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I have to really make an effort to listen to CE now that it's on Sundays, as Sunday is a busy day! At least I can record it on my PVR if I remember...

Listening to it on my PC is not an option - is there any software to save the stream as a WAV file?

John.
stocky

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 6:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I heard it! i thought it was very good. we (at school) have resorted to recording it on dvd off sky on the sunday and listening to it in the normal wed 4-5 slot. was good this week! bit of a Wesley fest tho... still, well sung and much enjoyed! Laughing
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2007 9:58 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

jwatkins wrote:
I have to really make an effort to listen to CE now that it's on Sundays, as Sunday is a busy day! At least I can record it on my PVR if I remember...

Listening to it on my PC is not an option - is there any software to save the stream as a WAV file?

John.

This might do it for you http://all-streaming-media.com/record-video-stream/record-streaming-video-windows-media-and-real-video.htm

But I used to use Record AV (which has a free demo)

Perhaps someone with a better working knowledge of such things can provide better help

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu May 17, 2007 5:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:

Did anyone listen to the S.S.Wesley feast from Windsor on Sunday?

I finally got around to listening. (Sometimes I forget...) Very nice to hear the Wesley, and that final hymn... blimey, it cut off before finishing!! Evil or Very Mad

That sometimes happens- anyone else have that problem? So naturally I missed the closing Mendelssohn.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu May 24, 2007 4:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I didn't mind this year's service from St.Pancras (London Festival of Contemporary Music). You may like to see what I wrote about last year's effort by going to Page 1 of this thread and scrolling down to Sat. 13th May.
Although there were some dissonances, they weren't as relentless as last year, and I actually found myself enjoying the music

Has anyone else had a listen yet? What did you think?

Lance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 11, 12, 13 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 12 of 17

Jump to: