Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Cathedral Sub-Organist
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
diapason8

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 2:31 pm    Post subject: Cathedral Sub-Organist Reply with quote

I've just noticed an advert for a sub-organist at Rochester Cathedral on the Church Times website. Anyone here interested?

N
lancecornea

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Just been to the official web page for Rochester Cathedral. Pretty disappointing, in that I can't find anything about who the current Director of Music is, who is the Organist and who is Sub-Organist. I would have thought that this would be freely available. I suppose one could assume by browsing the link to the Cathedral Shop that from the CD's available, Roger Sayer is the DOM.
Not that I wan't to apply for the job Nigel mentioned! I just thought it was a very impersonal web site.
My two penneth.

Lance

PS. Nice to see another thread start up on this Forum.
RobCharles

PostPosted: Tue May 16, 2006 10:56 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Ive been on that site too just out of interest thou shame nothing about the organ itself thou
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

And to make matters worse, didn't Percy Whitlock apply for that position once? He was a boy chorister there. One of my great British church music heroes. Incredibly gifted composer. I have visited Rochester. Give the castle a miss, the cathedral is wonderful.
stocky

PostPosted: Thu May 25, 2006 4:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

im up for applying! just a few years to early though! Laughing Laughing
Andrew Butler
Resigned

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 6:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
And to make matters worse, didn't Percy Whitlock apply for that position once? He was a boy chorister there. One of my great British church music heroes. Incredibly gifted composer. I have visited Rochester. Give the castle a miss, the cathedral is wonderful.

Percy Whitlock was indeed Assistant at Rochester.
stocky

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 7:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

so why on earth did he go to st stephens in Bournemouth? fool! but there is a nice organ there! Laughing
Andrew Butler
Resigned

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Whitlock was born in Chatham, and became a chorister at Rochester Cathedral, later taking organ lessons and eventually being appointed Assistant to Charle Hylton-Stewart. When the latter was appointed to Chester cathedral it was widely assumed that Whitlock would succeed him at Rochester. However, this was not to be as H a bennett was appointed to Rochester. I understand that Whitlock resigned after this and went to Bournemouth, where he flourished as Organist at Bournemouth pavilion in addition to his church work. I wonder what he would have done had he lived past the age of 42?
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 11:15 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Butler wrote:

Percy Whitlock was indeed Assistant at Rochester.

Oops. My apologies. Whitlock applied to be music director at Rochester, thus I assume that is why he ended up at Bournemouth.

Welcome to the forum!
Cheers,
Jason
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri May 26, 2006 1:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Butler wrote:
I wonder what he would have done had he lived past the age of 42?

I assume you have read the excellent bio of Whitlock? Your question was certainly asked in that book. What a tragedy he died so young! I think we missed a major choral work at the least. And have you heard the Naxos CD of his light music? Positively delectable- I recommend it to all.

BTW, my grandmother is a Christian Scientist and she gave me a copy of their hymnal at Christmas a few years back. I've looked through it and there are some fine hymns which Anglicans could easily adopt. Whitlock has four hymn settings contained and they are uniformly excellent.

One of them has been recorded by the Rochester Cathedral choir on Priory 583. (The tune is #211 in the CS Hymnal.) It also has his settings of the canticles.

Furthermore, this hymnal has tunes written by Anglicans that for some reason did not contribute to The New English Hymnal . We find hymn tunes by Harwood, Dyson and Walford Davies; all well known for their canticles on this side of the pond. Yet their hymns are just excellent! Throw in Sir John Stainer too- #160 in the CS Hymnal is also very worthy.

Cheers,
Jason
diapason8

PostPosted: Sun May 28, 2006 2:54 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I keep a collection of old hymn books, and refer to the often to fine 'unusual' tunes. I especially like the original English Hymnal. I'm not familiar with the CS book - I'll keep an eye out in the charity shops.

BTW, some years ago the organist of WInscombe church was an elderly man who had been a personal friend of Percy Whitlock for some time. Gerald was himself a fine musician. I remember that on the Winscombe organ there was a Kerolophon stop which he always called 'The Bagpipes'. Laughing

There is also another 'Cathedral' job going: Not a Cathedral that some of you may recognize, but a very fine building with quite a decent organ. The place, North Curry in Somerset. Known as 'The Cathedral of the Moors' the post will become vacant with my departure at the end of June. The Vicar will be very pleased to receive applications. I can email pictures of the church and details of the organ to anyone who is interested.

Have a good weeekend,

Nigel
Andrew Butler
Resigned

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 10:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
Andrew Butler wrote:

I assume you have read the excellent bio of Whitlock? Your question was certainly asked in that book. Cheers,
Jason

No, I haven't Confused

And no-one's wished me Happy Birthday on the actual day ! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 4:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Butler wrote:

And no-one's wished me Happy Birthday on the actual day ! Crying or Very sad Crying or Very sad

Uh sorry, Andrew: Happy Birthday!! Mr. Green (How many candles on the b-day cake? Just kidding...)

My, this was an old thread to dig up. I had totally forgotten about it. Has anyone since heard John Scott's recording of Whitlock at St. Paul's? He wins hands down for the Sonata.
RobCharles

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2007 6:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Organ Specs and info are here folks!!

http://www.rochestercathedral.org/music/organ.asp
pcnd5584

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2007 10:17 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Butler wrote:
Jason Evans wrote:
Andrew Butler wrote:

I assume you have read the excellent bio of Whitlock? Your question was certainly asked in that book. Cheers,
Jason

No, I haven't Confused

I assume that the book in question is that which was written by Malcolm Riley.

Andrew, I was unaware that it was your birthday. However, I do know that a number of members miss you on the Mander board. We would be delighted to see you resume your contributions.

Best wishes.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: