Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Best organ recitalist around?
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
stocky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:03 pm    Post subject: Best organ recitalist around? Reply with quote

Any ideas as to who is the best organist around? cheers!
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Can't say who the best is, but one of my favourites is Olivier Latry. This side of the channel I've always had a fondness for Gillian Weir. Also I like John Scott. His Liszt Ad Nos and Percy Whitlock Sonata at St. Paul's are awesome.
stocky

PostPosted: Mon Mar 13, 2006 6:37 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey jason! you get my email? i once paged turned for wayne marshall at salisbury cathedral once, and that was amazing!!!! his hands moved faster than i could see!!!!! Shocked but i think that David Briggs is pretty great, and also i think that ian tracey is pretty awsome too!
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Tue Mar 14, 2006 8:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:
I once paged turned for wayne marshall at salisbury cathedral, and that was amazing!!!! his hands moved faster than i could see!!!!! Shocked but i think that David Briggs is pretty great, and also i think that ian tracey is pretty awsome too!

What did Wayne Marshall play? Ian Tracey is the greatest and I apologize for not mentioning him earlier. I went to CE at Liverpool Cathedral a few years ago and Mr. Tracey played the Franck E Major for the closing voluntary. I was awestruck! I still don't think I have since heard anything on that level. I was transported by his genius.

You're a young man, stocky -perhaps I'm only about seven years older?- and you're too young to have fallen in love. (But I bet the girls are waiting...) The Dupre Symphonie-Passion speaks all to me (albeit in an Anglican way), yet when I had a crisis last year, it was Dupre's Cortege et Litanie that really consoled me. I love that music so much and wonder if other members have had their moments too with organ music. Want to share? And no fair bringing up Franck's Priere . That's too easy. Razz It's as difficult to play as it is profound. Over and out...
stocky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 12:51 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jason! im back! just been away for a while doing coursework etc! and trying not to get distracted in the process! Laughing any luck finding the CD? all the best!
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 3:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It's in the complete set of Dupre organ music on the Naxos label. Which recording did you have?
stocky

PostPosted: Thu Mar 16, 2006 4:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

david halls playing it on the willis at salisbury. its called the salisbury sound. i think it is on the hyperion label. how was your day?
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 6:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'll check it out. I only have a few recordings of the Salisbury Willis. Did you forget that I asked which Dyson is your favourite: D, F or C minor? Wanna start a topic on George Dyson? Do you know the Canterbury Pilgrims ? My favourite Dyson is still Hierusalem . Amazing stuff.

Oh, BTW, I always have a great day when I can talk about organ and church music. Smile
stocky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 10:46 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey jason! i like dyson in D the most! but ive never really been a fan. we never did herusalem at salisbury so im unfamiliure with it. have a good day! Tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 7:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

stocky wrote:
hey jason! i like dyson in D the most! Tom

I figured that would be your answer- it's certainly the most dramatic. I have several recordings of it- interesting to compare them. The men and boys at Ripon sing their hearts out, their counterparts at St. Paul's seem merely bored. (Which they could very well be... they've probably sung it more times than they can remember.) Cheers, Tom.
stocky

PostPosted: Fri Mar 17, 2006 8:41 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

ive got a recording of it from St Pauls too! is it called 'my soul doth magnify the lord'? loads of different canticle settings. i dont think it is a good CD to be honest. the boys dont blend well and the organ is too quiet. what do you think? all the best, Tom

P.S. did you listen to the dupre le monde l'attente du saviour? its great! im in the process of learning the last few pages! its chaos! Laughing
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Tom, that's the same recording from St. Paul's that I have too. I think John Scott a great organist, but have been disappointed by his recordings with the choir. Yet I know -and pray- he will do well at St. Thomas in NYC. The new director at St. Paul's -Malcolm Archer- should be wonderful. I dearly love his music.

Still stumped on the Dupre. Can't find it anywhere. What is the opus number? I'm anxious to find it.

Cheers,
Jason
stocky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

hi jason! it really isnt any trouble for me to send it to you on a disk. i can do that if you want.... all the best, Tom
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 4:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, I finally found it, Tom. (Great stuff- good on you for introducing it to me!) When do you expect to have it up to performance level? And what's next? I'd be interested to know.

Cheers- Jason
stocky

PostPosted: Sat Mar 18, 2006 5:06 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

it could be a few weeks up to performance level. ending is pretty challenging at the moment! got begging middle and the bit just after the middle (same as beggining) going just the end where the feet and hands have the tune at diferent times and the left hand is doing chromatic chords down. im thinking of learning the B-A-C-H prelude by Listz. you know that? all the best
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2, 3, 4  Next
Page 1 of 4

Jump to: