Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Guardian article today

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 4:19 pm    Post subject: Guardian article today Reply with quote

I suspect that this may not be news to all members of this forum Wink

http://www.guardian.co.uk/religion/Story/0,,2029810,00.html
diapason8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:24 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I live six miles away, and have played the organ there once for a service. It's a 3-manual Willis, but is, IMHO, of little merit. The console is badly positioned making it impossible to hear and judge the balance of the instrument. There is an appalling time lag in the action and the choruses lack any cohesion.

Regarding the Guardian article, it is generally understood locally that the Rector sacked the previous organist, Mr Drummond, last summer. Not surprisingly, nobody has applied for the post. A friend, who had sung in the choir, left last summer, as did many others. When I played there, last July (?), the choir were depleted, but still sang well.

This is something which relects poorly on the church and seems intractable. Certainly, it will deter anyone who was considering applying for the post!

N
diapason8

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 5:59 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

It seems to be in most of the broadsheets today (with the exception of the Indy). The Times has really has a poke at the Rector Rolling Eyes

N
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2007 9:29 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Same old story as far as the C of E is concerned, I'm afraid.
I'm sure we've all been through situations like this at one time or another Evil or Very Mad I am reminded of Nigel's epithet "Noli illegitimi carborundum" which loosely translates as "Never let the bastards grind you down"

This article referred to by Nigel is also worth reading, especially for the "Have your say" section at the end.
http://www.timesonline.co.uk/tol/comment/faith/article1490242.ece

Lance Sad
diapason8

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2007 9:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The comments are interesting - not least, those from young people who are very contemptuous of the 'happy clappy' worship songs. I won't comment on the Times forum as I'm too close, geographically, to the 'scene of the crime'. I also play and train a choir regularly in one of the village churches in the Wellington benefice (but not, other than in a very titular regard, under Rev Randall). Local feeling, and the local press, is generally very supportive of the choir, and anti the Rector. There are newsagent's placards in the streets of the town proclaiming an 'Unholy Row' and the whole town is talking about the story. I wonder whether there will be an increase in the congregation tomorrow. I'll try to resist the temptation to attend evensong. As I so rarely worship there, it will be obvious why I went on that day Embarassed

Interesting to see how it develops, but a great sadness over the desecration of the choral tradition in one of our very few parish churches to still retain a decent choir.

N
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: