Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Choral Evensong BBC 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Conrad Poohs

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 2:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
John Scott also is broadcasting the complete Buxtehude works for good measure!

I'm looking for a good disc to get my dad into Buxtehude, as he's been a huge fan of Bach for some time - any recommendations would be most welcome!

By the way, seeing you're based in Melbourne, my choir will be touring to Oz this October. Let me know if you want to come to our concert at the Victoria Arts Centre on the 28th and I'll try and wangle a ticket (I'm not sure if elligible for comps yet, but I'll do my best to get some freebies!).

All the best

Poohs
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 11:54 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad Poohs wrote:
By the way, seeing you're based in Melbourne, my choir will be touring to Oz this October. Let me know if you want to come to our concert at the Victoria Arts Centre on the 28th and I'll try and wangle a ticket (I'm not sure if elligible for comps yet, but I'll do my best to get some freebies!

Wow! I neaver realised you were in Westminster Abbey Choir.
I had pencilled that date into my diary when I picked up the Musica Viva 2007 brochure last September. I was even prepared to drive up to Canberra to hear the choir if I couldn't get a Melbourne ticket. Yes please, I'd love a ticket if that's possible!

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 12:07 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad Poohs wrote:

I'm looking for a good disc to get my dad into Buxtehude, as he's been a huge fan of Bach for some time - any recommendations would be most welcome!

I have most of the works performed by Marie Claire Alain, but these are rather old recordings from the 70's or possibly earlier, and I'm sure there are some very scholarly performances available from some of today's leading organists. Here's one I came across at a very reasonable price for a 6 CD set http://www.mdt.co.uk/MDTSite/product//224050.htm

I'm sure Jason Evans will know what to recommend.....he has an encyclopaedic knowledge of such matters!. He may pick up on this thread when he next visits the forum.
Or you could send him a PM.........?

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 3:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Conrad Poohs wrote:

Conrad,

There is a wonderful CD from Delos (catalogue 3023 if it is still available) with Robert Noehren playing. Highly recommended as a great single disk introduction. It is sad that Buxtehude's music is so much in the shadow of Bach.

And speaking of Westminster Abbey, is the new CD from Hyperion of the Elgar choral works available?

Edit: this CD is announced on the Hyperion website for February release...
Conrad Poohs

PostPosted: Sat Feb 17, 2007 1:06 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance, we haven't been told whether we're allowed free tickets yet to the Oz gigs, but I'll let you know once I've found out!

Thanks, all, for the Buxtehude recommendations; I'll look into them all. I've also just realised that Westminster Abbey are having a five-recital celebration of his music every Sunday after evensong from 4 March!

Jason: I think the Elgar CD has just come out (according to the Hyperion website). We got a free copy a few months ago and it's very stirring in places - the organ sounds fantastic! We finished recording another one for them a couple of weeks ago, which includes the Langlais Mass. It'll be game, set and match to the organ on this one!

Best

Poohs

[Edit by Admin to split login difficulties to new topic]
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 1:27 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Different slant (for me anyway) on the Allegri from St.John's Cambridge Ash Wednesday Service. Tonus Perigrinus substituted for the plainchant bits to which we are accustomed. Nice tenor cantor too! Very Happy

Lance
damon

PostPosted: Fri Feb 23, 2007 9:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

A quite fantastic evensong from St Johns ..
Allegri's Miserere was just great
AND having Mr Rutter there as the choir performing his latest anthem to psalm 139..
SUPERB
lancecornea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 06, 2007 11:58 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rochester provided a lovely CE this week, prefaced by the superb Thomas Tomkins 'When David heard" and with the marvellous St.Paul's canticles of Howells, Balfour Gardiner's "Te lucis" and Langlais' "Chant Heroique" This is Choral Evensong at its most glorious. Not a bad sound from this choir too.
Andrew Butler
Resigned

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 6:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone catch Bristol on Sunday? Still haven't got used to Sunday broadcasts and completely forgot. Evil or Very Mad My speakers are b******* so can't listen again on-line. Sad
lancecornea

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2007 9:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting service from a choir I've not heard before. I 'm not really a fan of Michael Tippett so didn't enjoy his arrangement of Deep River. Jackson in G is always a good sing for the canticles, and the anthem by Philip Wilby (husband of the [non-singing??] Precentor) was nicely done. The cathedral seems to have quite a lively acoustic which certainly helped the trumpet in the anthem.

Lance
Conrad Poohs

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 3:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Butler wrote:
Anyone catch Bristol on Sunday?

I should be so lucky.

I'm assuming this is a euphemism, by the way...
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 5:09 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Butler wrote:
Anyone catch Bristol on Sunday? Still haven't got used to Sunday broadcasts and completely forgot. Evil or Very Mad

Same here- I'm having the worst time adjusting to the new schedule.

I attended several Evensongs plus a Sunday Eurcharist last May. Call me nuts, Bristol is a suberb venue. The organ is one of my favourites, the "extra-musical" sound effects emanating from the swell division add to the excitement.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2007 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Why do you have to listen to it 'live" on Sunday? Don't you have "Listen Again" to access it for the next 7 days.
Hell, for me (in Australia) to listen to a live broadcast would mean I would be listening at 3 AM........!
Shocked
Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 5:11 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Why do you have to listen to it 'live" on Sunday? Don't you have "Listen Again" to access it for the next 7 days.

Aw, Lance... you're making things just too easy.

Okay! Rolling Eyes I listened to Bristol this morning. Really cool. Curious though: where did you get the impression that Coverdale was a particular favourite of mine? Jolly okay tune, but an American hymnal I have sets those same words ("There's a wideness...") to a slightly better tune: Slingsby . IMHO, it fits the words better.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2007 12:55 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
Another enjoyable CE from Derby, a parish church cathedral I have yet to vist.

The final hymn "There's a wideness in God's mercy" was sung to a favourite tune of mine, Corvedale . It was written for St. Paul's, but alas is not in NEH. Perhaps it is too new? NEH uses the tune Cross of Jesus . One American hymnal I consulted has the words to a tune called Slingsby , otherwise unkown to me

Posted by you on Sept 21st last year, Jason old boy! Wink

Lance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 10, 11, 12 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 11 of 17

Jump to: