Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

St Mary's Church in Swansea City Centre

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobCharles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 10:04 am    Post subject: St Mary's Church in Swansea City Centre Reply with quote

Well What can I say about this Church its one of the most borring churches I have ever been into why read on:

The Organ there thou http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=D07281

http://www.swanseastmary.fsnet.co.uk/

A few months ago, I emailed one of the Vicars Kenneth Paddley to express an interest about taking part in one of the Organ Recital series they have each summer I wrote this a nice way. A Few days latter I had the most snootiest email back from him - genneraly saying I'm not welcome to even touch or use the organ in anyway whatsoever as to no reason why Confused So I wrote back in a form of putting my foot in the door or so to speak and it fell on deaf ears.

So I contacted the Main Vicar Andrew Vessey and he too was a snooty old git, I was too trying to get answers about the reason why I cant play the organ (It was driving me mad) I went on to say how a compentet player I am for the last 10 years or so and how well I have served in my parish as organist and for other churches I help out, I even stated that I help out in one of the team churches that I have been doing for the last 5 years or so (Which to amazement he wasnt aware of) I also said that I have my details at another church of his that church is a 3 manual hill good tone on it as well. So anyway he claims that "When the organist there is away or ill they use a tape for the music" I thought what a waste of an organ. I said nothing offensive by no means, I was trying to get my foot in the door, He then says "Will you stop pestering Kenneth and William Reynolds as well - I'm not pestering them because they are a bunch of knobs Evil or Very Mad

I can tell you allot of people have fallen out with the church since Andrew Vessey came, I will try my best to perhaps "help with his other churches" but the way I have been treated is utter madness.

Nigel and many others on here have you in the past had same treatment as I did with this Church?

Regards

Rob
diapason8

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 11:04 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Unfortunately, this attitude is all too prevalent - especially in the Anglican church - and is responsible for the chronic shortage of organists which we are now facing. Most churches welcome genuine organists to make use of their instrument free of charge. If we do that- and I always go out of my way to encourage people to come in and play - then we will, hopefully, foster a greater interest in and understanding of, the organ. It is a pity when churches adopt a 'visitors unwelcome' policy, but often rebounds on them when they need an organist!

Nigel
RobCharles

PostPosted: Thu Feb 08, 2007 2:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nigel you are 100% Right on what you said. What is wrong with Churches today - Why can't they encourage young people into the Church? Keen Organists like me deserve far better. I know of plenty of Churches which I can go and enjoy a good practice including All Saints Oystermouth (Always Welcome) and 2 Churches with Copeman Harts. So as far as I care St Mary's Can stick their organ where the sun don't shine!

Regards

Rob
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: