Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Choral Evensong BBC 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 5:42 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Jason
Like you (and probably most others on this board), I don't have any recordings of Southwell either, but I've always held Paul Hale in high esteem and I think his choir vindicated my opinion. I thought the service was excellent!
Can someone explain to me whether the Screen organ or the Nave organ was used or are they just two parts of the one instrument, playable from either console.
Wink
Lance
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 9:35 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I think it's more that they are separate consoles. if not it would have been the screen organ I should think as evensong is normally sung from the quire. The nave organ/console is only used when the nave altar and stalls are used (primarily for one of the communion services on Sunday). All based on my experince of being part of a visiting choir thier a few times, so it may not be 100% up to date.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks David Smile
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Fri Dec 22, 2006 12:57 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Thanks David Smile

Actually, looking at http://www.southwellminster.co.uk/choir/naveorg.htm and http://www.southwellminster.co.uk/choir/quireorg.htm it looks like they are completely separate instruments. Apologies for all the typos in the previous message too.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Dec 28, 2006 7:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone catch the glorious CE from Edington? I just loved it. The Tomkins Fifth Service is a particular favourite and Sheppard's anthem is a masterpiece. Highly enjoyable! Also, it was nice to be reminded once again about the essential differences between the synoptic Gospels and that of St. John.

I send greetings from Seattle, USA, where I'm visiting my aunt and uncle. We attended the Christmas Eve service at St. Mark's Episcopal Cathedral. A very fine choir and a really cool Flentrop organ. The service was very well attended.

St. Mark's was originally conceived as a massive neo-gothic structure, but the Depression intervened and the building was finished on a shoe string budget. It looks okay, though the more modern finishing touches do clash a bit. But at least it was finished, unlike St. John the Divine in NYC which has more the appearance of a massive folly.

Cheers to all and a wonderful 2007.

Jason
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 29, 2006 10:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I agree, Jason, CE was a delight this week and it was nice to listen to a service where one wasn't bombarded with carols. I've been listening to services from St.Thomas' Fifth Ave, N.Y. too much over this Christmas.
Andrew Butler
Resigned

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 6:50 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

From memory, there are some choral establishments who rarely if ever have featured in the R3 CE slot, and some who did at one time but now seem not to. Any ideas why please? Ones that immediately spring to mind are

Ripon, Carlisle, Bradford, Bangor, St Asaph, Brecon, Chelmsford, Llandaff, Leeds PC, St Mary Warwick, Jesus Cambridge....

There are probably others.......
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Wed Jan 03, 2007 10:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Andrew Butler wrote:
From memory, there are some choral establishments who rarely if ever have featured in the R3 CE slot, and some who did at one time but now seem not to. Any ideas why please? Ones that immediately spring to mind are

Ripon, Carlisle, Bradford, Bangor, St Asaph, Brecon, Chelmsford, Llandaff, Leeds PC, St Mary Warwick, Jesus Cambridge....

There are probably others.......

I've a feeling we did have Ripon reasonably recently. I've heard it said on the BBC board (by someone who should know), that foundations may "opt out" if they feel they're not up to it at the moment for whatever reason. It will be interesting to see if the forthcoming switch to Sundays will prompt any sort of change in the line up - it might for example make it easier for the parish church foundations to broadcast as there won't be the difficulties of getting singers out of school/work.
mvann

PostPosted: Thu Jan 04, 2007 9:26 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Have just read the posts from Lance, David & Jason: as you will gather, I'm a rather infrequent visitor! Thanks for the appreciative comments on the Pboro CE - I will certainly pass them on to my dad. We have had quite a few, by post & e-mail: I have posted extracts on my web site.

Lance, so far I have managed to trace details about 23 evensongs broadcast during dad's time at Pboro, ranging from 1961-1977. There must be more - from the 50s for instance. There were also the recordings listed on my website. Unfortunately, the BBC has disposed of most of its CE archives.

Thanks for the welcome, Jason!

Happy New Year to all, Martyn
jpfsc

PostPosted: Fri Jan 05, 2007 4:53 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance,
I just noted in the St. Mary the Virgin Bulletin, NYC that on Jan 14 Solemn Mass and Evensong will be sung by the Choir of Christ Church St. Laurence from Sydney - currently on tour. Just wondering about your impressions of them.
Joe

Happy New Year to all !
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Jan 06, 2007 10:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Joe
Every time I go to Sydney I go to Christ Church. They are an excellent mixed adult choir and they have a very fine DOM in Neil McEwan.
Christ Church St.Laurence is as high Anglican church as you can get without converting to Rome, so I think they will suit St.MaryVirgin admirably. By the way I still cant get on to that web site....I don't know what's going on, whether the site is down or whether it's my computer.

Lance
jpfsc

PostPosted: Mon Jan 08, 2007 5:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lance,

I just sent a reply by email. I just opened the SMV site here now at

www.stmvirgin.org

I had a page of Virgin Atlantic + appear first, but the Chruch site came up.
The Rector made mention of email problems in last week's 'Angelus', but I don't know if that also affected the site.

I hope to be there for Evensong next week, a wonderful reminder of the McNeill Robinson days at SMV when the Choir was always there for the Canticles and Benediction. Fr. Gerth is hoping to bring the Choir back asap. In the meantime, the chanting is positively Monastic!
Joe
damon

PostPosted: Mon Feb 12, 2007 6:44 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Did anyone catch the broadcast from Durham C.
Hopefully it sounded better on the radio then it did live...
-
Whats the point in having an orchestra infront of the congregation then sticking the choir behind them.You cannot hear them !
Anthem was very slow -- would have prefered to end the anthem with the organ nice and loud , but wasn't to be !
Another downer was the music list showed as singing psalm 150(stanford)
but did not ..
Why produce music lists when they are not adhered to...
i.e.Durham Cath-- psalm 150 ?
i.e.Last Sunday St Pauls Cath - stanford in c ... where was it ?
i.e.Manchester Cath week thur --psalm 7 not sung
-----------------
Roll on Ash Wednesday -- Allegri Miserere - St Johns Coll Cambridge
should be good ......

Damon
lancecornea

PostPosted: Tue Feb 13, 2007 6:05 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I can't say I particularly enjoyed it as I'm not fond of orchestras accompanying Evensong. I realise this was a celebratory service for the University but it sounded a bit too much like a concert for my liking.

Can I strongly recommend everyone tune in to St.Thomas Fifth Ave. NY. for good weekday evensongs now that the Beeb has pulled the pin on Wednesday broadcasts. They do CE on Tues, Wed, Thurs, and Sundays plus the Eucharist on Sundays and all are available online. John Scott also is broadcasting the complete Buxtehude works for good measure!
http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/Stream.html

Cheers all

Lance Very Happy
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Wed Feb 14, 2007 1:28 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damon wrote:
Why produce music lists when they are not adhered to...

Yes damon, I understand- and how frustrating that can be. Some months ago Blair in B minor was announced for Sunday Evensong at St. Paul's, yet in the event they did something else which I did not recognise. Too bad (typically I crept into the quire when no one was looking), I was hoping to experience Blair's over-the-top-Victorian assault on the senses right in the middle of it all! Evil or Very Mad

Edited for clarity, but keeping the BS. Laughing
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 10 of 17

Jump to: