Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Archive Choral Evensong from Peterborough

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
mvann

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:38 pm    Post subject: Archive Choral Evensong from Peterborough Reply with quote

In case there are any old choristers of Peterborough Cathedral using this forum (or anyone else who might be interested), I thought you might like to know that a Peterboro Cathedral choir archive broadcast (1972, under my dad's direction) is being transmitted at 4pm on Weds this week (13th Dec) on BBC R3. Details on my web site: http://www.stanleyvannmusic.org.uk/choral_evensong.htm. I believe that the programme will also available for download (for those with a broadband connection!) from http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio3/choralevensong/ for a week after the transmission.
Best wishes, and happy Christmas to all, Martyn
diapason8

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 8:47 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I recently was loaned a very old cassette recording of a transcription of the WIlliam Tell Overture recoredd on the Peterborough organ. The cassette (a home recording) was dated 1959. I wondered at the time whether this was played by Stanley Vann. Might you be able to shed any light on this please?

Nigel
mvann

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 10:43 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm sorry, I have no idea, Nigel. My dad was certainly Organist & MoM in '59. I'll see if he can shed any light! Martyn
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 9:33 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I'm certainly looking forward to it. My connection with Peterborough post-dates his time at the Cathedral, but I did sing in the concert Peterborough Chamber Choir gave to mark his 90th birthday, and the Peterborough performance fo the Billingshurst Mass. I hope he is well?

Martyn, I don't know if you've seen teh Wikipedia article on him (largely my work I confess), loosely based on your website, and other bits and pieces I found via google (hopefully without infriging anyone's copyright). See http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Stanley_Vann
mvann

PostPosted: Tue Dec 12, 2006 10:34 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hello, David. Yes, I have seen the Wikipedia info - & wondered who wrote it! I recognised a lot of the material, of course, but was interested to see that someone had kindly awarded dad the OBE! Sadly, this is not the case! He is well, thanks, but at getting on for 97, has slowed down a lot. Glad to hear you were involved in the Mass & concert (- I was there). Best wishes, Martyn
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:47 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

mvann wrote:
Hello, David. Yes, I have seen the Wikipedia info - & wondered who wrote it! I recognised a lot of the material, of course, but was interested to see that someone had kindly awarded dad the OBE!

I wasn't quite sure about ti myself, one of the sites I found via google gave it him, I tried to check via the London Gazette website, but the search is not very relaible, so i wasn't sure one way or the other (it would not be undeserved in any case. I'll take it out of the article.
mvann

PostPosted: Wed Dec 13, 2006 9:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks, David. I've already had it removed from some sites! Regards, Martyn
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Thu Dec 14, 2006 9:41 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The site on which I saw it was http://www.lammas.co.uk/brevis.htm (it's a fair way down the page).
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: