Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

St. Thomas Fifth Avenue now streamlines -

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
jpfsc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 7:56 pm    Post subject: St. Thomas Fifth Avenue now stramlines - Reply with quote

I am new to this board and thought I posted a complete note on this site an hour ago. I must have hit Preview instead of Submit.

I have been reading this site for almost a year and was struck with the favorable interest in the recent BBC broadcast of CE from St. Thomas, Fifth Avenue.

I signed on and decided to pass this information along if it is not already known by all of you. For the past two months or so St. Thomas has been streaming live Mass and CE for Sundays and Feasts and the two weekly CE's as well.

While I was writing the previous note I listened to the 4pm Lessons and Carols for Advent Sunday as I monitored a room of students at the computers in the Library Annex. It is a complete recording with the organ preludes 10-15 minutes and postlude as well. The introductory comments are made by Fr. Robert Stafford, Pastor, and the Confession and Absolution & Prayer are given by Fr. Andrew Mead, OBE, Rector. You can access the site at

http://www.saintthomaschurch.org/Stream.html

Since his arrival, John Scott has crafted an even more beautiful sound here with the Choir than had Gerre Hancock in his day - and he was top of the line in the US.

Later today I am heading over to another favorite Church - St. Mary the Virgin, W46Street for Solemn Evensong for the Feast of The Immaculate Conception. Bishop Sisk, preaches tonight, and, the Rector, Fr. Steven Gerth, Celebrates and Preaches at the 6pm Solemn High Mass tomorrow.
These late hours allow the 'commuter parish' to assemble and not be constrained by time. What a glorious worship experience it is! The music program at SMV is awesome. Robert McCormick, graduate of Ryder College,NJ(formerly Westminster Choir School) has been Organist and Choir Dtr there for several years now ,and is still in his 20's. He is very capably assisted at the console by Robert McDermitt- equally talented and as young. And what a console - Aeolian Skinner, voiced by G. Donald Harrison, and enhanced since - probably the finest in NYC

The Choir is professional and has about 300 Masses under control. When it became financially impossible for SMV to have theChoir for Evensong, the Rector opted for the Psalms and Canticles being sung to proper Gregorian tones by the congregation; Benediction follows with the hymns and Laudate chanted as well. The prayerfullness of the congregational chanting is captivating. Tonight, SMV will have the Choir for Festal Evensong. You can catch Robt McCormick's very detailed notes on the weekly music at the parish site.

www.stmvirgin.org

Fr. Gerth, like many others, is struggling under Parish financial problems here and these are reflected sometimes in his weekly column 'The Angelus'. He has done wonders to try and 'grow' the Parish and increase the level of giving, but is still forced to dip into reserves.

I am RC and relish the opportunities presented by these two wonderful Churches to worship with the wider Church Catholic when possible.

On crossing the 'pond', keep these two in mind
Joe
jpfsc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:09 pm    Post subject: St. Thomas .... Reply with quote

Of course, that headline on my post should read STR_ E _ AMLINE.
I didn't think to check the title box.
Joe

[b]Thank You to whoever 'cleaned it up'
[/b]

Last edited by jpfsc on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:15 am; edited 1 time in total
jpfsc

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:15 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

As I went to close out I found this -

http://mail.google.com/mail/?auth=DQAAAG0AAACFM5WOCqz4XgwoePhRj-iOQUnEJPwKuUWm5avZAAcIDdEfVkrTJb-mE9ZvU3loYH4K0Ri_7CtfJg9Nqn8lfeF_RX9VtjPzqPpfZr-_PsRl54-nR03qhwxmMlid6lf1lGAapgR2z6lSMkHo9V0x9Uqt&shva=1

The Fr.Mead mentioned is the curate at SMV and son of Fr. Andrew Mead of St. Thomas.

Nice to see the organ gets attention for this evening!
Joe
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:33 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Wow! Very Happy
There really is a Santa Claus!
Thanks so much for the link jpfsc

Welcome to the Forum. I look forward to further contributions and insights into Church Music from across the pond. Very Happy

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Dec 07, 2006 9:36 pm    Post subject: Re: St. Thomas .... Reply with quote

jpfsc wrote:
Of course, that headline on my post should read STR_ E _ AMLINE.
I didn't think to check the title box.
Joe

Joe, you can edit any mistakes even after posting....there should be an edit button on all your posts which will enable you to fix the title
jpfsc

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 5:19 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks very much for your welcome, Lance, and, the notice about the Edit button. I don't see anything now in front of me as I write, and didn't see one yesterday either - either in the blue boxes under 'Church Music" or in the items below the Subject box.

Small turnout for Evensong last evening chanted except for Choir's Canticles in G by Stanford - one of my favorite settings( I love the Nunc Dimittis - and would love that sung after Communion on my Grand Exit). The Motet following Bishop Sisk was Healy Willan's "Fair in face, but fairer far in thy faith" a Responsory from BVM Office of 8th c. - a first for me - nicely done.

The hymn before the Sermon was 'The Church's One Foundation" - the first hymn sung at Evensong in the parish chuch before it's dedication December 8th 111 years ago, as the Rector mentioned concluding his Welcome. SMV generally prints the choral settings in it's service leaflets so that those of us in the pews can sing the parts. Tonight , the organ will cut out on 2-3 verses of the Lourdes Hymn, and the congregation will fill the Church with harmony. The 'Foundation' is another great favorite of mine and I tried to boom out the bass line, reverting back to melody on the last stanza as Robert took off at the console.

Looking forward to the celebration of Solemn High Mass later today; usually a packed Church.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Dec 08, 2006 11:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Nice choice of Grand Exit music, Joe, but are you familiar with Howells' Collegium Regale setting of the Nunc Dimittis? That would be my farewell preference!

Have you found the "edit" button by now? It should be at the top right hand corner of each of your postings. Someone (Admin perhaps) has been able to correct the mistake in the header anyway.

I haven't been able to access the SMV site yet as it appears to be out of action. Perhaps you could see if it works OK. I can't get to it through Google either Crying or Very sad

Cheers

Lance
jpfsc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:38 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks again for the "Edit' button location. I must have the Free edition here!, not anywhere in sight; maybe it's a newer format than you veterans have.

Collegium Regale might have been the first set on Argo that I played over and over. I like it, but I prefer Stanford's textual play - particularlly in the 'A' . The peaceful resolution with the intial words repeated is just beautifully serene.

Last eveniing SMV had Sheppard's Missa Cantate for 6 voices; again beautifully done. McCormick speculates from the Mary Tudor period. Agnus had 2 Gregorian followed by the polyphonic 3rd. I'm not sure if that was just a local adaptation for time constraints. Communion does not start until the Agnus Dei is finished - for the clergy too.

No Lourdes Hymn ! I had the days confused. A rabble rousing 'Ye Who Own the Faith of Jesus' 7vv. sung to 'Daily,Daily' not found in Brit Praise & Worship , Ancient&Modern-Revised, or New Standard nor '41 and '82 'Hymnal with this tune, but in a paperback Supplement (Episcopal) published in '79 by GIA in and there cited - 'Melody from a French Paroissien', but, thankfully annotated in the Oratory's '97 The Catholic Hymn Book' as '19century English form of Maria zu Lieben , Paderborn Gesangbuch , 1765'. It's a wonderful potboiler of a tune withe the refrain 'Hail Mary (3x) full of grace' ,which I remember singing as a kid 'Daily, daily Sing to Mary' . At SMV, it's a roof-raiser. Organ cut out on v.6 and, while incense was billowing all over the place and built to a thunderous crescendo as we began and sang the last verse. After censing the clergy properly, the thurifer then walks the center aisle with the thurible. btw In spite of yesterday's tune up, a key 'stuck' during the earlier verses of the hymn and it took a few verses to eliminate it; with all the noise - hardly noticed. Not being an organist, I can't tell you which rank/division?

After Communion we sang 'Sing of Mary, Pure and Lowly' and closed with 'Lo, He Comes with clouds descending' to remind us of the season. We chant the Creed; choir does Gregorian Propers(Latin- w/trans in service leaflet). Worship with a capital 'W' -there! We RC's lost all this in the whirlwind of Vatican II. St. Louis Jesuits were nice for a time; this stuff is eternal! B16 is rumored to be restoring Latin Mass, but looking to clamp down on texts sung in the hymns. I hope there is a major OUTCRY if the wonderful English/Anglican treasury is not deemed acceptable. It's Arinze's office, and I can't imagine that Catholic Nigeria is doing any better than the Anglican hymnal there.

Fr. Gerth in his 'Welcome' following the Communion Prayer mentioned that the founding Pastor Thomas McKee Brown only started referring to Solemn Mass in 1881 in the service leaflets at the older church; before that it was called 'High Celebration'. The Episcopal Bishop of NY refused to consecrate the place 1896 - too HIGH- so they brought in the Bishop of Fond du Lac, WI. NY's successor came for the 100th Anniversary along w/ Irish, Scots, Am. Primates & this time Bp of NY. It was separately incorporated as The Free Church of SMV' - I think it had something to do w/banishing pew rents, etc.

The recessional was Widor's Marche Pontificale, Opus 13/1. It was so long they they could have emptied the Vatican Council. Nicely done, but not to my taste.

I think you can locate SMV website and savor the weekly offerings described by McCormick. Unfortunately they are not in the $$ position of St. Thomas to 'Stream'. THAT would be a treat!

I enjoyed passing this along and will check the site frequently.

Last edited by jpfsc on Sun Dec 10, 2006 2:26 am; edited 8 times in total
jpfsc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 12:52 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for proper memory cells - The Primatial collection referred to above were here for the 150 of the Oxford Movement a few years earlier. Fond du Lac(celebrant, I think) and NY were among the Bishpos here for the Centennial.

Lance that's the only SMV website address I have

www.stmvirgin.org

In the weekly posting(usually Thursday before) you can contact most of the people with addresses listed there at the Church.
Joe
jpfsc

PostPosted: Sun Dec 10, 2006 1:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, for proper memory cells - The Primatial collection referred to above were here for the 150 of the Oxford Movement a few years earlier. Fond du Lac(celebrant, I think) and NY were among the Bishops here for the Centennial.

www.stmvirgin.org

In the weekly posting(usually Thursday before) you can contact most of the people with addresses listed there at the Church.
Joe

I JUST FOUND ' 'EDIT' ; IT IS CALLED 'QUOTE' HERE
-

WRONG again - as I looked again

it DOES say EDIT
next to 'Quote'as I just went back to it.
Up until now, I was working with a window instead of full screen that did not show 'Edit' - to the right

Thanks again Lance.
jpfsc

PostPosted: Mon Dec 11, 2006 2:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

jpfsc wrote:
Oh, for proper memory cells - The Primatial collection referred to above were here for the 150 of the Oxford Movement a few years earlier. Fond du Lac(celebrant, I think) and NY were among the Bishops here for the Centennial.

www.stmvirgin.org

Joe

I JUST FOUND ' 'EDIT' ; IT IS CALLED 'QUOTE' HERE
-

WRONG again - as I looked again

it DOES say EDIT
next to 'Quote'as I just went back to it.
Up until now, I was working with a window instead of full screen that did not show 'Edit' - to the right

Thanks again Lance.
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: