Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Choral Evensong BBC 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Oct 26, 2006 3:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Jason, I'll post them to you as mp3 files. Do you want the responses as well as the major works?

Lance

Just the major works will be fine. Many thanks.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sun Oct 29, 2006 12:16 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

For Jason and those others interested, the King's Evensong was:

Introit: O Praise the Lord - Adrian Batten
Responses: William Smith
Psalms: 126-129
Canticles: Stanford in G (treble soloist Richard White in the Magnificat and baritone John Walker in the Nunc Dimittis)
Anthem: My Beloved Spake - Patrick Hadley
Postlude: Toccata in B minor - Francis Jackson
The organist was Hugh McLean, the first lesson was read by the now famous baritone Christopher Keyte, and the second lesson by The Rev. Mervyn Hughes (not the Australian test cricketer!)
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

What a CE to cherish from Canterbury! Yikes, it was terrific. Very Happy I love Howells in G , an early work predating the great series of "standards". It should be done much more frequently. The Monteverdi Beatus vir is always a pleasure, especially in the delectable arrangement heard here.

Alas for that magnificent cathedral. It is a short train ride from London, but I was last there in March of 2001 and the place was crowded beyond belief. I can only imagine what it must be like during peak season. Evil or Very Mad

CE ended and BBC played Walton's Crown Imperial . A fitting encore. It always moves me so much and transcribes splendidly for the organ. Priory have issued a fine recording with Robert Gower.
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 9:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
Alas for that magnificent cathedral. It is a short train ride from London, but I was last there in March of 2001 and the place was crowded beyond belief. I can only imagine what it must be like during peak season. Evil or Very Mad

Sanf there as visiting choir this February, evenign on a fairly wet weekend that early in the year Saturday evensong was extremely well attended - they get a lot of French tourists/school groups coming over.

On the more general subject of broadcast CE, there is talk over on the BBC boards of major changes afoot in the new year - broadcast to move to 4pm Sunday chief amongst them...
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 10:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Re Canterbury, Evensong doesn't come much better than that! Very Happy
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 02, 2006 4:28 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David_Underdown wrote:
... Saturday evensong was extremely well attended - they get a lot of French tourists/school groups coming over.

On the more general subject of broadcast CE, there is talk over on the BBC boards of major changes afoot in the new year - broadcast to move to 4pm Sunday chief amongst them...

Same situation at Westminster Abbey. A recent CE was so well attended that many, many extra chairs were set up in the quire. (At least these school groups were expected!)

That's interesting about the BBC broadcasts. Sunday CE is generally more in the "festal" mode, so that's good news. How long have the CE broadcasts been on Wednesday?
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Fri Nov 03, 2006 9:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:

That's interesting about the BBC broadcasts. Sunday CE is generally more in the "festal" mode, so that's good news. How long have the CE broadcasts been on Wednesday?

For most of the last 80 years as I understand it!

Another point that's been raised is that if the broadcasts are to remain live it's going to put a heavy load on the choir, 1 or 2 services in the morning then a lengthy rehearsal/sound-check in the afternoon followed by the broadcast.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Tue Nov 07, 2006 12:18 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

An excellent service from Leeds Parish Church on Sunday Morning celebrating The English Hymnal.
Jason, you'd enjoy it as it has one of your favorite hymns "Corvedale"
Here's the link to listen to the service. Pay no attention to the fact it says Nov.11th.
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/programmes/sunday_worship/
For those interested in more about The English Hymnal, this is a very good documentary
http://www.bbc.co.uk/radio4/musicfeature/pip/f9vee/

These programs need to be listened to this week before they self destruct!

Enjoy Very Happy

Lance
Andrew Butler
Resigned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Due to circumstances (disruption due to building work at home) had to listen to Liverpool yesterday on an old tv with poor sound quality,through the Sky box. I will reserve judgment pon the broadcast until I've seen other views, having been listened to on decent equipment. (Can't listen on line - my stepson's pinched my speakers!)
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 7:45 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Was it just me, or was the sound on this latest CE rather miserable?

Whatever, a magnificent service. I had the pleasure of visiting Liverpool Anglican several years ago- it was "Maritime Sunday" and the cathedral was packed. I also caught Evensong- Ian Tracey thundered through the Franck E Major at the close- truly stupendous!

Nice to hear the Bullock anthem- he was music director at Exeter I believe? And it's certainly well known on this forum -amongst other things now- what I think about Dyson in D . Always a pleasure. I enjoyed the Harwood anthem, and I hadn't heard Rawsthorne's Reponses before. I would be curious to hear other choral works of his. (A few of his organ works have been recorded.)
Andrew Butler
Resigned

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 8:22 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

So it wasn't just my old tv then?
Carleton Breezy

PostPosted: Thu Nov 09, 2006 10:20 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:
Was it just me, or was the sound on this latest CE rather miserable?

Whatever, a magnificent service. I had the pleasure of visiting Liverpool Anglican several years ago- it was "Maritime Sunday" and the cathedral was packed. I also caught Evensong- Ian Tracey thundered through the Franck E Major at the close- truly stupendous!

Nice to hear the Bullock anthem- he was music director at Exeter I believe? And it's certainly well known on this forum -amongst other things now- what I think about Dyson in D . Always a pleasure. I enjoyed the Harwood anthem, and I hadn't heard Rawsthorne's Reponses before. I would be curious to hear other choral works of his. (A few of his organ works have been recorded.)

The sound was a bit poor wasn't it? But it didn't spoil a service which was full of good old pot-boilers (just the thing to warm you up on a November afternoon!) -- all thoroughly enjoyable. Rawsthorne wrote a couple of evening services (in F and D) for this choir (I have a recording of the latter, done on CE several years ago), plus a morning service and several anthems -- all of them well worth hearing.
damon

PostPosted: Fri Nov 10, 2006 3:03 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Cannot comment on the sound as i was listening to the service on a train going to a concert at Kings College, reception was pretty poor but from what i heard i thought it was an excellent service...
3 good psalms and Dyson in D always a winner...
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Nov 11, 2006 1:02 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Interesting that everyone is complaining of the sound quality. Given the vastness of the cathedral, I thought the sound engineers did a reasonable job, and on my PC speakers, the sound was good. ( I do have a good sound card though)
My only complaint was with the treble tone which in their lower register was pretty ugly. Very noticeable in the psalms.
Absolutely loved the Bossi postlude by Ian Tracey Cool

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed Nov 15, 2006 10:49 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

There was a lot to like in this week's archived CE from St.Michael's Tenbury. Very Happy What a superb solo from the treble in Greater Love. Beautifully in tune. And that awkward passage on the last page "....Holy, acceptable unto God" where the trebles come from a top A through the G# gave me goosebumps. Cool Many choirs I've been invoved with just can't tune that interval. Shocked
Again it was wonderful to hear the General Confession with its beautiful but quaint phrases like "devices and desires of our own hearts" Shocked , ".....miserable offenders" Twisted Evil , "and there is no health in us" Crying or Very sad spoken so clearly and accurately by the choir ( Were they being conducted?)

Pity though that the men of the choir sound like they were singing from the vestry. The mike placement seemed very wrong! Evil or Very Mad
The three items from the Argo recording of 1965 played after the service had a much better balance of singers and organ.
This particular recording ( Sing Joyfully ZRG 5423) is one of my absolute treasures. I purchased my copy when I was in London in 1972 from the HMV Shop for the princely sum of 3.25 To the best of my knowledge, it has never been re-issued on CD. See if you can find a copy on Ebay or at your local Op Shop. Well worth it! Very Happy
Wink
Lance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 7, 8, 9 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 8 of 17

Jump to: