Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Went to Organ Recital at All Saints Church Mumbles, Swansea

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
RobCharles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:51 am    Post subject: Went to Organ Recital at All Saints Church Mumbles, Swansea Reply with quote

What a wonderful Recital this was as part of the All Saints Alive Music Festival 2006 on the wonderful organ they have there, Huw Williams was the organist (St Pauls Cathedral) this is what he played

Fantasia in F minor K608 Mozart
Variations on Balletto del granduca Seelinck
Prelude and Fugue and G Major BWV 541
Toccata Jiri Ropek
Prelude and Fugue on B A C H F. Kiszt
Processional Mathias
Prelude and Fugue in B Major Op 7 no.1 Dupre
Le Jardin suspendu and Litanies Jehan Alain

Encore Widors Toccata

Wonderful Recital!!

Cheers Rob the Organ
lancecornea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 1:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob
What can you tell us about the history of this organ? There doesn't appear to be a listing in the National Pipe Organ Register.

Lance
RobCharles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 3:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hey Lance hows it going this is the link of the organ

http://npor.emma.cam.ac.uk/cgi-bin/Rsearch.cgi?Fn=Rsearch&rec_index=E00531

A brief History of the organ

Before 1873 music was provided by a male choir and a bass viol (double bass) played by the parish clerk. The Choir sang metical psalms and "Hymns Ancient and Modern' fromthe west gallery of the old church.

1873 - First organ installed at All Saints Saints by Postill of York - a large hand -pumped tow manual and pedal organ with 24 ranks of pipes. It cost 590 amd was a gift of Ironmaster Henry Crawshay.

1890 - Additions and tonal changes to the organ by Abbott and Smith of Leeds.

c1920 - Peter Conacher of Huddersfiled installed a new 3 manual and pedal organ, at a cost of 2089 which included all furniture and fittings for the new church. The New organ contained 29 ranks includeing many of the original Postill pipes. The Organ was blown by an hydraulic pump.

1951 - Renovation and first electric blower added by Hill, Norman and beard of London 350.

1972 - The instrument was overhauled and tonally altered by J W Walker and Co who made radical alterations to the "Choir Organ" changing its character to that of an 18th Century Baroque Orga'. 31 ranks of pipes. Cost 3,204.

1998 - A Complete rebuild: New electo-penumatic action, solid-state coupling and a generous provision of combination pistons. The scheme was funded in part by a grant from the Arts Council of Wales Lottery Fund. The work was undertaken by Percy Daniel and Co of Clevedon and cost 103,000 with 32 Ranks of Pipes.

Rolling Eyes

Phew!!

Rob

Regards

Rob[/b]
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 6:20 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Rob,

That was one terrific recital you went to! Huw Williams is top notch and it has been my pleasure to hear him at St. Paul's numerous times.

With the exception of the Sweelinck and the Ropek, all of the music was familiar to me (not to imply I have learned all of it) and Mr. Williams must have done himself proud in some of the most difficult music in the repertoire. The Mozart is a TERROR. Twisted Evil

Thanks too for your history of the organ.

Cheers,
Jason
lancecornea

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:23 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Thanks Rob. You're a wealth of information. Very Happy
I did my BPOR search on Mumbles and on Swansea and came up with ZIP!
Nice organ! What else other than perfection would you expect from a recital by Huw Williams.

Just as an aside, I was able to attend 2 recitals from David Goode while he toured Melbourne, one on a 3 manual Hill, Norman and Beard parish church organ, and the other on the Southern Hemisphere's largest concert organ, the mighty William Hill / Schantz Grand Concert Organ in the Melbourne Town Hall. Both were excellent, and I was able to meet David afterwards. He is certainly a fine organist and as we say in Australia, a "top bloke"! Cool
Very Happy
Lance
RobCharles

PostPosted: Tue Sep 12, 2006 9:35 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi Lance

I couldnt find the link on the church website its all messed up! So I had to type the history of the organ out from the programe, yes its a very fine organ for 32 ranks of pipes from where I was sitting was blasting!!

Sounds like you had a good time attending those recitals,

Jason yes Huw is a fine organist I was well impressed I'm going to get a copy of the Processional I enjoyed that one very much..

Off to Cardiff tomorow with a Friend with the Cardiff Organ Association I'm going to join in on the organ its in Albeny Road Baptist Church if any of you have heard of it??

Cheers

Rob
David_Underdown

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 1:40 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Just as an aside, I was able to attend 2 recitals from David Goode while he toured Melbourne, one on a 3 manual Hill, Norman and Beard parish church organ, and the other on the Southern Hemisphere's largest concert organ, the mighty William Hill / Schantz Grand Concert Organ in the Melbourne Town Hall. Both were excellent, and I was able to meet David afterwards. He is certainly a fine organist and as we say in Australia, a "top bloke"! Cool
Very Happy
Lance

had the pleasure of being in the Albert Hall from his Organ Prom this year (see http://www.bbc.co.uk/proms/whatson/0608.shtml#prom31 for programme). Great fun, although he did leave just a couple of stops in in the Liszt, from what I could see...

Last edited by David_Underdown on Thu Sep 14, 2006 8:38 am; edited 1 time in total
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed Sep 13, 2006 10:08 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

David Goode only included the Mozart and the Shostokovich from this Prom proram in his Melbourne recitals. The Mozart F minor K608 was played without any 16 ft tone which was quite an interesting listening experience, (and how Mozart intended it?)
The big ticket items were Reger's Fantasy on "Wachet Auf", and Saint-Saens "Danse Macabre" (Yes Jason, I know you don't like orchestral transcriptions, but this was stunning!)
I look forward to a return visit!

Lance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Page 1 of 1

Jump to: