Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Favourite Psalm
Goto page Previous  1, 2

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:57 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Lance,

Thanks for joining in on this thread before I get eaten alive! I rather liked the Sumsion They that go down ... I actually prefer it to the men and boys of St. Paul's or Worcester. (Are you reading this, wickedchorister? Very Happy )
colin

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 11:12 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
in their recording "Psalms of Consolation and Hope" (1978), St. John's College, Cambridge under George Guest used it for the whole of the last verse "Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord".

Well, that makes it all alright then. I don't know the recording - I normally regard John Scott as a paragon of tasteful musicality, but yes, that's what I'm referring to on the Naxos disc, and I'm not going to revise my opinion just because someone who's normally good did it in 1978...
I'll search out the John's recording, and see if it's good enough to make me reconsider.
wickedchorister

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:26 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Jason Evans wrote:

I actually prefer it to the men and boys of St. Paul's or Worcester. (Are you reading this, wickedchorister? Very Happy )

Welldone Jason Evans! I can tell there's a feminist in you just waiting to be released!
Andrew Butler
Resigned

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 8:51 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
colin wrote:

...and a really tasteless rendition of the Stanford psalm 150!

I find nothing at all tasteless in this rendition of Psalm 150. If you are referring to the use of the Cymbelstern in the Amen, let me remind you that in their recording "Psalms of Consolation and Hope" (1978), St. John's College, Cambridge under George Guest used it for the whole of the last verse "Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord". I suggest, Colin, that you have a listen to this before you make such an outrageous comment. Evil or Very Mad
"Springs" made mention of this old recording 4 posts ago in this thread, and I'm sure he'll back me up.
If it's not the Cymbelstern that bothers you Colin, then perhaps you'd like to elaborate.

Lance

Only just looked at this topic.

I may have mentioned elsewhere (or perhaps it was on another forum) that Malcolm Archer, when Assistant at Norwich, once used the Cymbelstern in Ps16 v.7

And I never hear /read Ps 45 now without thinking of Wickedchorister!
lancecornea

PostPosted: Mon Sep 11, 2006 10:02 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

[quote="colin"]
Quote:

I'll search out the John's recording, and see if it's good enough to make me reconsider.

Here is a link to that recording http://www.cduniverse.com/search/xx/music/pid/2951472/a/World+Of+Psalms.htm
Wink
Lance
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2
Page 2 of 2

Jump to: