Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Favourite Psalm
Goto page 1, 2  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:39 am    Post subject: Favourite Psalm Reply with quote

As I have just been talking to Jason Evans about Psalms, I thought I would start a new thread to see what you feel is your favourite Psalm and Chant coupling.
I will lead off with my favourite which is Psalm 22 sung to the Wesley chant in F minor. At verse 22 or 23 depending on your taste, a change to Crotch in A flat is very effective.

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 6:55 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Which CD? Then I'm on it...
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 7:10 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Well before the other members come online (do they sleep in later?... just kidding Wink), may I throw one other out?

Allbright's setting of Psalm 92. Volume 7 of the Priory series at Norwich.

And how soon before The Lamentation of Bairstow makes its appearance? (Multiple recordings to choose from- we could start a topic on that one alone.) Or is the Bairstow not strictly qualifying?
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Apr 13, 2006 8:56 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I wasn't particularly referring to recorded psalms in this thread, but if that's what you like, it's fine.
As for the Bairstow Lamentations, what a WONDERFUL piece of writing it is. But I don't think it qualifies here!
damon

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 9:53 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Hi.. Favourite psalm must be 49 (followed very closely by psalm 50 ) ..
Psalm 49 to the setting by Waimisley.Went to St Johns College in Cambridge last year as the choir were singing this psalm. It was simply fantastic the way they slowed down the last few verses, it was very moving indeed.
Psalm 50 to the setting by Attwood / Beale. Heard this first of all on the 'Evensong and Vespers from Kings' dvd. (( well worth buying a copy as you also get Dyson in D too ... )).
Was fortunate to hear Kings College sing this live and was just superb....

Damon....
neilfreshwater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:13 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Very hard to decide this one!

Psalm 77 (I cried unto to God) with R. Clark in A Minor chant is very effective.

Leighton's one too (sorry, only know the one) works well with The Lord is King (Ps 99)
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 2:24 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

damon wrote:
Hi.. Favourite psalm must be 49 (followed very closely by psalm 50 ) ..
Psalm 49 to the setting by Waimisley.Went to St Johns College in Cambridge last year as the choir were singing this psalm. It was simply fantastic the way they slowed down the last few verses, it was very moving indeed.

Well you got your wish this week from The Three Choirs Festival choral evensong, albeit to the chant by Sinclair Very Happy

Lance
Springs

PostPosted: Sat Aug 12, 2006 7:44 am    Post subject: Favourite Psalm Reply with quote

As a new contributor, I would like first to say "hello".

Which is my favourite psalm is a very difficult decision to make. It does change according to mood, I think. I like moments of Psalm 37 with sections sung to H. J. Gauntlett in A because that was where I came in on the scene, listening to long-ago Canterbury sing it.

After St John's had made their extraordinary contribution to the world of LPs with "Psalms of Consolation and Hope" in 1978, I had a veritable raft of favourites to keep me afloat in trouble waters. I heard most of these sung in the chapel at the time and was thankful for the LP and its subsequent reissue on CD as part of Decca's "World of Psalms". How well it was recorded! You can hear the murmur of traffic outside and even the lips of the singers parting, in unison,in the silence between verses. As it includes Psalm 49 set to Walmisley (as did Scott's St Paul's Psalter) I am happy to cast my vote accordingly, with the proviso that, on a bad day, I can switch to being like a "pelican in the wilderness: and like an owl that is in the desert.

Springs
wickedchorister

PostPosted: Tue Aug 22, 2006 11:40 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

I like the one about Johab (??) is my washpot over Eden (??) will I cast out my shoe.

And the best chant has to be the one in which the treble line splits in two, but cant think of the name.

Also did a triple chant the other day, didnt realise such things existed before, but am now a convert!
colin

PostPosted: Fri Sep 08, 2006 10:39 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Quote:
Johab (??) is my washpot over Eden (??)

Thought you had a Theology degree?
Moab is my washpot; over Edom will I cast out my shoe.

Favourite chant/psalm coupling? Naxos did a fairly dodgy disc called psalms for the soul that has a lovely setting of 121 - chant by the choir director...
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 12:03 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin wrote:
Naxos did a fairly dodgy disc called psalms for the soul

Why "dodgy"? I rather enjoyed that disc- and the price is certainly a plus.
colin

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 7:30 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

just not the best psalm singing ever recorded - not bad, but not in the same league as some of the full price competition...

...and a really tasteless rendition of the Stanford psalm 150!
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

colin wrote:

...and a really tasteless rendition of the Stanford psalm 150!

I find nothing at all tasteless in this rendition of Psalm 150. If you are referring to the use of the Cymbelstern in the Amen, let me remind you that in their recording "Psalms of Consolation and Hope" (1978), St. John's College, Cambridge under George Guest used it for the whole of the last verse "Let everything that hath breath praise the Lord". I suggest, Colin, that you have a listen to this before you make such an outrageous comment. Evil or Very Mad
"Springs" made mention of this old recording 4 posts ago in this thread, and I'm sure he'll back me up.
If it's not the Cymbelstern that bothers you Colin, then perhaps you'd like to elaborate.

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Sep 09, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Oh, by the way, John Scott was the organist at St.John's Cambridge on this 1978 recording. I dare you to suggest that he is tasteless Evil or Very Mad

Lance
wickedchorister

PostPosted: Sun Sep 10, 2006 1:01 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Sorry colin! I will endeavour to get my psalms right in future!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page 1, 2  Next
Page 1 of 2

Jump to: