Anglican Church Music Forum Index Anglican Church Music Forum Index

FAQFAQ    SearchSearch    RegisterRegister
 ProfileProfile   Log in to check your private messagesLog in to check your private messages   Log inLog in

Choral Evensong BBC 3
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next

Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion
View previous topic :: View next topic  
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 3:31 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I try to listen to the CE broadcast at least a few times, but this one really didn't do much for me.
stocky

PostPosted: Thu Aug 03, 2006 5:46 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

hey guys!

how are we all? summer holidays are officially dull! not been up to much, just got back from an organ course with Margret Phillips, which was ok. i listened to evensong, and i thought it was ok, but that the psalms were a bit odd..... id never heard that prolonged penultimate note,sylable or wotever it was! hmmm....

cheers guys! Tom
damon

PostPosted: Tue Aug 08, 2006 11:01 pm    Post subject: Choral Evensong wed 9th Reply with quote

Hi just joined the Forum so a big Hello to everyone...
Went to the Three Choirs Festival in Hereford on Monday as the BBC were recording the service for Wednesday's usual 'live' choral evensong.
The anthem was fantastic.... Wesley's Blessed be the God and Father...
The psalm was 49 which is one of my fav's... although the choirs sung it well , i much prefer the setting by Waimisley... but each to their own i guess....
Hope you enjoy it too

later

Damon
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 9:34 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Welcome, Damon! Very Happy
Hope you enjoy participating in the chatter on this forum.

I will look forward to Evensong this week. In spite of being an old war horse amongst anthems, I still count Blessed be the God as one of my favorites.Cool

Cheers

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Wed Aug 09, 2006 11:48 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Great evensong this week from the Three Choirs Festival at Hereford. Beautiful singing and some fine organ playing. Very Happy

Just the way I like my evensongs served up!

Lance
neilfreshwater

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 1:34 pm    Post subject: Radio 4 Reply with quote

Those who are up early on Sunday morning (13 August) can hear my choir (St John's, Edinburgh) "live" on Radio 4 at 8.10am.

Sanders' Jubilate and Kodaly's Sanctus from Missa Brevis. Not heard it yet so fingers crossed!

N.
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Aug 10, 2006 3:22 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

lancecornea wrote:
Great evensong this week from the Three Choirs Festival at Hereford. Beautiful singing and some fine organ playing. Very Happy

Just the way I like my evensongs served up!

Ah, indeed. What treat is was! Walmisley in Bb was fun of course and I've always loved the Wesley. (There is a great recording from Truro, BTW.)

I attended a very "festal" Evensong at Hereford Cathedral last May and it was a pleasure to witness the immaculate music making of Geraint Bowen and Peter Dyke. I've met Mr. Dyke- a fine chap.

Cheers!
Jason
lancecornea

PostPosted: Fri Aug 11, 2006 3:01 am    Post subject: Re: Radio 4 Reply with quote

neilfreshwater wrote:
Those who are up early on Sunday morning (13 August) can hear my choir (St John's, Edinburgh) "live" on Radio 4 at 8.10am.

Sanders' Jubilate and Kodaly's Sanctus from Missa Brevis. Not heard it yet so fingers crossed!

N.

I will certainly listen, and thanks for the advice Very Happy
I am currently listening to last weeks service from Charterhouse School, Surrey. Its rather good, and you can follow a script of the service too.
Here's the link: http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/programmes/sunday_worship/

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:31 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

The Sanders' Jubilate was the pick of the music from this service. Sounded like the choir was enjoying their performance!

Lance
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 17, 2006 7:48 am    Post subject: Reply with quote

Evensong from St.Mary's Episcopal Cathedral Edinburgh certainly showed that those folks north of the border can put on a fine service! Loved the Bruckner and the Gorecki. Very Happy

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 4:21 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Yes, wasn't it a wonderful Evensong? I've always loved the Kelly setting...

Anecdote: I went to an Evensong at St. Mary's several years ago. Between the Magnificat and second reading, the fire alarm went off! No one was really sure was to do until the Dean announced in a wobbly Scottish-accented voice: "we should probably evacuate". So the men and boys choir headed off somewhere past the high altar, the rest of us made for the western exits... then the alarm ceased. Everybody went back to their seats, the second reading commenced and all was well. Laughing
lancecornea

PostPosted: Sat Aug 19, 2006 11:45 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I probably would have evacuated something else if I'd been there Mr. Green Mr. Green

Lance
Jason Evans

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 3:38 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

Anyone listen to the latest CE on BBC 3? I rather enjoyed it, especially the Wills service on plainsong tones. Splendid. I also didn't realize Wills is still living- he just turned 80.
lancecornea

PostPosted: Thu Aug 31, 2006 10:01 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I thought the service was very fine, and what a marvellous setting from Dr.Wills Exclamation To think that he wrote this piece 31 years ago...it should be better known, I would have thought.

Next week's service comes from St.Patrick's Cathedral, Armagh, the choir being the 2006 Charles Wood Summer School. You may have heard them last Sunday on BBC4. Some lovely singing,IMHO Smile
http://www.bbc.co.uk/religion/programmes/sunday_worship/

Nice to notice the forum revving up again after a rather quiet holiday period.

Cheers
Lance
Carleton Breezy

PostPosted: Mon Sep 04, 2006 1:05 pm    Post subject: Reply with quote

I enjoy reading all comments posted here about CE, though I rarely get the chance to listen to it myself these days. Occasionally I need to 'work from home' on a Wednesday afternoon, and -- by complete coincidence, naturally -- this just happens to be the day a favourite choir is singing, or a favourite canticle setting being done. I've never managed to get the BBC Radio Player to work (probably disabled on my office machine?), so I guess I'm stuck until I get broadband at home Crying or Very sad . Anyway, keep posting!
Post new topic   Reply to topic    Anglican Church Music Forum Index -> Questions and Discussion All times are GMT
Goto page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 15, 16, 17  Next
Page 5 of 17

Jump to: